4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2012 1:28 PM by TOMillr

Intel Recording LED Driver: Setup won't run under Win8

TOMillr

I'm still waiting for a Windows 8 compatible version of this "Intel Recording LED" driver:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22034&keyword=Intel+Recording+LED+Driver&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng

The setup program won't start, because it is only supposed to run no Vista and 7 - but I'm pretty sure the included drivers would work fine under Windows 8 as well. Isn't there a way to prevent the MSI file from checking which Windows version it is running on? Or manually extract those drivers?

• 1. Re: Intel Recording LED Driver: Setup won't run under Win8
          vbaderks

Options

1) You can unpack an .msi:

msiexec /a <name>.msi TARGETDIR=<path> /qb

But probably the .msi will also do some registry updates and unpacking will just extract the files.

2) You can use the (free) Orcas tool to open the .msi file and remove the OS check.

3) You could try to make a shortcut to msiexec. Then edit that shortcut:

- update the command line arguments to point to the intel installer .msi file

- update the compatibility tab and tell it to lie about the OS version.

Windows installer uses a 2 step install approach (user level and system level). If the check is done in install step 2 then the compatibility settings won't work.

• 2. Re: Intel Recording LED Driver: Setup won't run under Win8
            TOMillr

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've already tried options 1 and 3. Simply unpacking the msi-file doesn't help me because (as you've already speculated) there is some additional install information that goes missing this way. Using the compatibility settings doesn't work either. I still get the error message that the installer is only supposed to be run under Vista and 7.

So this Orcas tool seems to be my only choice to get rid of this OS check part. Is there some documentation available online on how to do this exactly?

• 3. Re: Intel Recording LED Driver: Setup won't run under Win8
              vbaderks

download Orcas from (is also part of the Windows SDK)

Download: ORCA MSI Editor — Technipages

and instal it

Open the .msi file. It seems there are 2 checks:

table InstallExecuteSequence

table InstallUISequence

The check is:

CA_ErrWrongWindowsVersion(NOT (VersionNT = 600 OR VersionNT = 601) OR NOT (MCEINSTALLVERSION = "5.0" OR MCEINSTALLVERSION = "6.0") OR NOT REGISTERMCEAPP) AND NOT

double click on the cell will bring you in edit mode: You can change it to (win8 is NT 602):

NOT (VersionNT = 600 OR VersionNT = 601 OR VersionNT = 602)

then save the modified .msi file.

I did a quick test and the checks are gone, but the install fails however on my system. I don't have however the Windows Media Center feature installed in my Windows 8 Pro x64 OS or have your board. Probably the installer depends on that. I did see that it does requires .NET 2.0. Win8 doesn't install .NET 3.5 by default. If you didn't turn that one then you enable that windows feature before running the installer.

If the installer still fails after all these steps then only Intel can fix it...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Intel Recording LED Driver: Setup won't run under Win8
                TOMillr

Now that was easy, thanks. I can run the installer now under Windows 8 x64 - so the installer is properly looking for a chipset or board as well.