1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 15, 2009 8:36 AM by Aryan2411

DP43TF and compatible DDR2-800 RAMs

rgbautista

I got myself a DP43TF motherboard and a Geil 4GB DDR2-800 (2GBx2) Dual Channel Kit.  The BIOS recognizes the memory but during my memory testing using memtest+86 a lot of errors crop up.  I checked the BIOS and it's set on auto so that it reads the SPD chip.

I decided to replace the memory thinking it could be a bad batch but when they replaced it memory test still fails.  The technician tried it on a different board and the memory works so he suggested that I try a different memory so I got a pair of Kingston DDR2-800 2GB (single sided, low profile).  This time the memory passed the test.

I'm just wondering if newer Intel boards such as my DP43TF are more picky on the memory they use.  I had built PCs using Intel motherboards consisting of D865PERL and D965LT and I never had any issues in memory including the the Geil brand.

I'm thinking of getting the Corsair XMS/DHX DDR2-800 but I'm worried this may also have compatibility issue.

• 1. Re: DP43TF and compatible DDR2-800 RAMs
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

For the Intel Board DP43TF:
          Website: http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dp43tf/sb/CS-029150.htm

As long as the memory specification meets the requirement below and that you have the latest bios version, it must work. (Intel has not validated all memory - but if your memory is on the tested list, and it still does not work, then there must be a problem, you need to let them know)

System Memory Features
          The Desktop Board supports the dual or single channel memory configurations defined below.

Four 240-pin Double Data Rate 2 (DDR2) SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) connectors with gold-plated contacts
          Non-ECC, 1.8 V, DDR2 800/667 MHz memory
          Serial Presence Detect (SPD) memory only
          Unbuffered, non-registered single- or double-sided DIMMs (except double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization)
          Up to 2.0 GB utilizing 256 Mb technology
          Up to 4.0 GB utilizing 512 Mb or 1 Gb technology
          Up to 8.0 GB utilizing 1 Gb technology
          A minimum of 512 MB of total memory is required

Hope this helps a bit.

If you are getting a memory which is not on the list, all you need to do is to check the memory datasheet from the manufacturer website and see if it has the requirements above. (voltage, spd, speed and type are the main things to check)

Kind Regards,
          Aryan