2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 3:26 PM by rbonee

incompatibility with h.264 protected content from WMC/cablecard providers

ksdehoff

Hello:

This problem appears to be associated with the hardware decoding of h.264 protected content.  The symptom is that for any premium live TV channels I try to watch in windows media player all I get is a black screen.  Users of both Ceton and silicondust tuners have reported this issue and I would like to report the same issue regarding the NUC running video driver 9.17.10.2875.

I would like to ask if anyone can provide instructions on working around the problem by displacing the intel codec with a software codec - or are there plans in the near term for a driver fix?

Thanks Much for anyone's help.

• 1. Re: incompatibility with h.264 protected content from WMC/cablecard providers
          ksdehoff

I've just updated to 9.17.10.2932 and can report that the problem has been resolved.  I am able to successfully decode protected content.

• 2. Re: incompatibility with h.264 protected content from WMC/cablecard providers
            rbonee

I would like to state that "ksdehoff" is jumping the gun in claiming this issue is fixed. It's hardly fixed and as a matter of fact it's an issue that has been ignored over and over again by the Intel Support staff. While HIS particular situation might have been fixed with a new driver, there are millions of users in the same situation that have no fix. Namely those using the i3 i5 and i7 multi-core processors w HD Graphics 2000 2500 3000 and 4000. I can almost bet with the driver number supplied by "ksdehoff", he is using a laptop with integrated graphics and not an Intel i3 i5 or i7 microchip with HD Graphics on board the processor. This issue for SOME of those integrated graphics users was fixed. However, Intel's response has been one that has force almost everyone else to purchase a separate non Intel based graphics card who made the mistake of supporting Intel and purchasing a high end Intel i3 i5 i7 processor with HD Graphics. It's really a shame that such a good processor is hampered by this bug and that Intel refuses to do anything about it. Heck, our latest driver update was before Christmas.

So the question that seems to be asked every month and isn't going to go anywhere until Intel addresses it... Where the heck are we on this issue? Can we expect a driver update any time soon that will fix this issue? I for one do not have the option of installing a separate graphics card therefore I'm dependent on Intel fixing this issue as more and more station begin to disappear as the cable provider begins to move their systems over to this new technology. Intel claimed in a previous post to know the issue exist yet three months later and it's still not fixed. Please reply with SOME information and perhaps a fix for this issue.