7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2009 1:34 AM by Aryan2411

Intel Desktop Utilities 2.1.9.66 does not show cpu temp/fan info ??

Marco

I have an Intel D945GCCR mother board running an Dual core 4300 at 1.8 Ghz running perfectly for 2 years plus.   Recently the system failed to boot and did not provide any beeps on startup.  Tried to reseat memory and other boards with no luck.   Finally I removed the fan and reseated the CPU and the system booted. 

I am now trying to detect additional cpu info i.e temperature to see what the problem could have been.   I installed Intel Desktop Utilities ver 2.1.9.66 but I do not see any CPU temp or Fan speed info.   The software only detects my Hard Disk.

Anybody got any ideas?

Is there a way I can figure out what happened (no boot problem) via performance logs?

Marco

• 1. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 2.1.9.66 does not show cpu temp/fan info ??
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Before doing these steps, do a cmos clear of the board by removing the battery & AC power and wait for 5 mins.

1. Then try a bios recovery using a formatted USB media.

Instructions for Recovery BIOS Updates

In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it is possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. The recovery process requires the chassis to be opened to move the onboard BIOS Configuration Jumper.
          WARNING: This process is intended to be performed by a trained technician.

Recovery with Formatted USB Stick

1. Copy the recovery file (*.bio) to a formatted usb disk.
             Website: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8Clearance.aspx?Type=&agr=Y&ProductID=2766&DwnldID=16762&url=/16762/eng/CR0060.BIO&PrdMap=&strOSs=38&OSFullName=OSIndependent&lang=eng
          2. Place the usb disk in the target system.
          3. Shut down the system and unplug AC power.
          4. Open the chassis and remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper. See the Technical Product

Specification for details including the location of this jumper.
          5. Power the system on.
          6. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete. When the usb drive LED is lit, the system

is copying the recovery code into the FLASH device.
          7. System will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt

you to turn off the system.
          8. Remove usb disk
          9. Replace the BIOS Configuration Jumper.
          10. Restart system.

Note: these can be found on:
          Website: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17377/eng/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf
          Page 3

The latest bios is Version 0060.

Once this is done, note down the cpu temperature from the bios.

And install the new Intel Desktop Utilities (even though it is not meant to be used on old board - it worked fine)
          Website: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2931&DwnldID=17223&strOSs=All&OSFullName=AllOperatingSystems&lang=eng

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,
          Aryan

• 2. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 2.1.9.66 does not show cpu temp/fan info ??
            Marco

Hi there!   Thanks for the quick suggestion.  

I am little worried about updating the BIOS since I am running an older version... ver 37.    If I do this... do I not run the risk of problems with software already installed on my hard disk?

How could the BIOS be in an unstable state if it was never updated?   Ver 37 is original that came with the mother board.

Lastly... you point to newer version of Intel monitoring software that is not recommended for my board and is in Beta version... ??

Worried I might make things worse.   Computer is working again... but still unsure if the boot problem will repeat itself.

Marc

Perhaps the best thing is to have a USB stick prepared to do a Bios update... and wait until problem surfaces again...

• 3. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 2.1.9.66 does not show cpu temp/fan info ??
              Aryan2411

Hi Marco,

When updating the bios, it does not corrupt any software on your disks. If you are still unsure, disconnect all the storage media on the system and follow the instructions from the previous notes how to proceed with the bios update.

It is entirely upto you, if you want to try the new Intel Desktop Utilities, I have used it and it worked fine and I told someone last time on this community to use it, it worked fine.

Hope this re-assures you a bit.

As long as you are following all the correct steps how to update the bios, nothing can go wrong.

You can check yourself in the Bios Release NOtes that since the bios Version 0037 to Version 0060, there are many fixes.

Website: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/16762/eng/CR_0060_ReleaseNotes.pdf

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

• 4. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 2.1.9.66 does not show cpu temp/fan info ??
                Marco

Hi Aryan...

From what I understand you always install hardware drivers for any computer accessories after you update to latest Bios.   I have a Hauppage WinTV card and an old printer connected to my desktop as well as a modem.   My fear is when I change to ver 60 of the Bios I will have to search for compatible drivers for these three pieces of hardware.

I do see however that my hardware monitor problem is most likely related to the older Bios I am running because there at least two fixes specifically on temperature monitoring in more recent versions of Bios.   Most likely after upgrading to ver 60 I should be able to get the correct version of Intel Desktop Utilities to work with my motherboard  (ver 2.1.9.66)

Thanks for your help.  

Marco

• 5. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 2.1.9.66 does not show cpu temp/fan info ??
                  Aryan2411

Hi Marco,

Usually, these are the procedures that I follow all the times.

Update the BIOS of the motherboard to the latest version. (as there are always fix in the latest version)

Install the Operating System

Install the latest drivers from website in the following order:

- Chipset Driver

- GFX Driver

- Audio Driver

- Lan Driver

- Other Drivers.

So far, I did not come across any driver problem when someone updates the bios. Hopefully, it would be the best for you.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Aryan

• 6. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 2.1.9.66 does not show cpu temp/fan info ??
                    Marco

Hi Aryan...

Yes that is the sequence I was refering to in my previous email.   So you agree with me, in that in a worst case scenario if I update from ver 0037 to ver 0060 of the Bios, I may have to re-install windows and have all the latest drivers for chipset, Gfx etc... ?

If so, I will need to get these off the NET prior to doing anything because I only have one computer.

Of course this means I will also need to re-install all my software?? 

Marco

• 7. Re: Intel Desktop Utilities 2.1.9.66 does not show cpu temp/fan info ??
                      Aryan2411

Hi Marco,

The best thing to do is to make an image of your hard disk using software like Norton Ghost, if something worst happen, you can restroe it using the Ghost Image. Actually, i am pretty sure that the latest bios cannot affect the system.Then follow the instructions with the new installation of the OS and drivers.

Other than this, i have no idea what to advise you further.

Regards,
                      Aryan.