Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S2400GP2 with P4308xxMHEN - fans running at 100% constantly

idata
Employee

Hello,

I have a S2400GP2 mother board in a P4308xxMHEN chassis. The board is configured with dual E5-2430 CPUs. The two system fans in chassis run at 100% all the time (it's very loud).

Using the Active System Console, the fan section shows "No sensors found."

The fans are plugged into the SysFan 1 and SysFan2 headers. Am I missing a setting to get the motherboard to recognize the fans?

Thanks,

Thong

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

First apply the latest http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=3525&DwnldID=22290&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss BIOS/firmware. If issue persists, check SEL for errors.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Edward,

Thanks for your reply. I updated with the latest BIOS/firmware package (12/10/2012 - version 01.06.0002), but the fans still run constantly.

The firmware update says it was successful, however the sysinfo utility shows:

BIOS Version....... SE5C600.86B.01.06.0002

BMC Firmware Version:

Op Code....... 01.16

Boot Code.............. 01.14

ME Firmware Version:

Boot Code: 02.01.05.107

SDR Version:

SDR version: SDR Package D.09

The Firmware package says that the FDUSDR should be 1.05. I've tried re-flashing, but the SDR version does not change. Is this correct or is there a way I can correct this?

Also, what sorts of errors should I look for in the SEL that might pertain to this. I did notice that there is nothing listed for the Chassis model number and serial number in the BIOS and in the sysinfo report.

Thanks for your help,

Thong

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Interesting. Can you provide the PBA# of your board?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Edward,

The label on the motherboard reads:

PBA # G31611-205

Thanks,

Thong

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Thong,

Chassi p/n and serial are vendor-informed data that you provide when you update FRU data.

As for the fans not detecting, run FRUSDR and update SDR data with all fans connected and the chassis intrusion sensor closed, see if it helps.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

-205 board comes with FRU/SDR 09, so it seems the new FRU/SDR wasn't updated properly... How did you update it? Is it through EFI utility?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Claudio,

Thanks for the suggestion. That was exactly it. The fans have slowed down now. Thanks again!

Thong

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Edward,

I re-updated the FRU/SDR and all is well now. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos