4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 1:17 AM by Marcel Schneider

DX79SR and 64 GB Corsair RAM - memory error

Marcel Schneider

Have tried two DX79SR borads with 64 GB RAM, Corsair CMZ64GX3M8A1600C9, 8 x 8 GB, PC12800, 1.5 VDC, and each time I insert the last memory module either in C1 or D1 slot, both boards show memory error (3 long beeps). Abolute constant behavior, no overclocking, have tried 1600, 1066 and 800 MHz, have swapped memory, nothing helps. Corsair writes: "It sounds like the motherboard is not capable of handling 8-up configuration at all.  Have you contacted your motherboard support team yet?  Thank you." The CPU is an i7 3930K and the power supply an Enermax Platimax EPM600AWT. First question: Are people out there running this board with 64 GB and if yes, with which brand and type? Second question: Any suggestions what could be wrong?

Marcel

• 1. Re: DX79SR and 64 GB Corsair RAM - memory error
          qwtlnw

I've been running gskill F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL 64GB (8 x 8GB) for almost a year on a DX79Si without any problems. Did have one stick fail a couple of months ago and gskill replaced all 8 sticks . Build can be found here-

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157998

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DX79SR and 64 GB Corsair RAM - memory error
            Marcel Schneider

Thanks a lot and good to hear that GSKILL works but please note the different board types (SI/SR). Today I get a new set of Corsair 8 x 8 RAM of the type CMZ64GX3M8A1600C9 and wil try them in my second DX79SR. Will also try with other RAM (56 GB + 4GB). If it's still unclear what the problem could be I also buy GSKILL and blame Corsair. Your build is impressive, particularly RAID and cooling. Probably not a totally quiet box ;-).

Greeting to Texas from Zurich.

Marcel

• 3. Re: DX79SR and 64 GB Corsair RAM - memory error
              qwtlnw

Marcel- Have a question. I put the SI & SR specs/block diagrams/photos side by side and the only difference that I could see was that the SR had 2 additional usb 3.0 ports and 2 additional sata 6.0 ports w/ the associated controller. Even the bios and drivers appear to interchange. Do you know of any other differences ?? Thank you- Duane And Greetings from Texas to Zurich :-) Haven’t been there since the late ‘70’s. What a beautiful place it was.

• 4. Re: DX79SR and 64 GB Corsair RAM - memory error
                Marcel Schneider

Duane - You are right: there are not other differences but I considered the additional Mavell controller with it's 2 additional 6 Gb/s ports an advantage (use 3 SSD's). In the menatime the problem was found: the 64 GB Corsair memory pack. I ordered another and also a 32 GB pack and both work in 2 DX97SR mobos in D1 or C1 slots when the other slots are filled with 56 GB of the faulty 64 GB pack. Have just reported this to Corsair. Also, when checking memory with CPU-Z 1.62, it always reports PC-10700 (667 MHz) not matter what is set in BIOS and only reports this for banks 1-4, banks 5-8 are always greyed out.Rekon this to be a CPU-Z problem. With the DX79SR I do not like its boot display, only see a meaningless SSD message. ASUS boards are much better in this respect, they show much more BIOS info. Also strange are fan settings. You have to specify what is measured and from which source. And then sometimes you see a difference in fan speed and don't know why. But otherwise the boards are fine - have ordered a third one and will use G.Skill memories in this, on your advice .

Best regards, Marcel