14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2013 12:47 PM by MuscleBound

Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel

stephenb.b.r

Please Intel, this is from a concerned customer who has been screwed by the BIOS 003x that have been released by Intel, I updated the board for legit reason, which was because I was 100% sure i was getting Ivy Bridge Core i7-3770 to use on the DZ68BC. But we all know the story once you go to the trouble filled BIOS 0035, 0036, 0037 & 0039, every thing else is agony to the consumer.

So Intel as Santa Claus

Oh Intel, I have been good this year, please reward me with something that is rightful supposed to be done, please provide a FIXED BIOS FOR DZ68BC, I would like to enjoy the board and the processor without having to worry about eminent doom that might be caused by 003x BIOS.

Oh Intel please as a token of good faith to your affected customers please make the upcoming FIXED BIOS a VISUAL BIOS.

Maybe BIOS 0040 is our salvation and maybe its VISUAL BIOS too, just a thought...

• 1. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
          Victor_Intel

Hello stephenb,

Currently there is no information on a soon to be released BIOS.

If you are looking for assistance on fixing an issue on your system, it will be a good idea of telling us what is the issue. If you want to use the Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 Processor 3770, you need to use BIOS version 0035 but remember to fist go thru this BIOS first and then to the latest version.

Regards

• 2. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
            vbaderks

Hi Victor_Intel

Here are my Christmas wishes:

I have a DZ68BC (AAG30742-401), BIOS 0039 with a i7-2600K running Windows 8 Ultimate x64 in EUFI mode.

The board was working reasonable well with BIOS 0028, except that the tuning with the XTU 2.1 tool would fail. The release notes of BIOS 0035 mentioned a fix for that issue, so I upgraded. But as Stephen already mentioned:

1. BIOS 0035 and higher have problems with overclocking. The ratio can be changed but there is something is wrong with the turbo power settings. Running a stress test on 1 core will bring the core to 4.5 GHz. Running a stress test on all cores will just get the CPU to 3.6 GHz.
              Overclocking was working fine in BIOS 0028.
            2. Since BIOS 0037 the system shows “Warning: An unsupported processors is detected on this system…” at every start up. This issue was not present in BIOS 0036 and earlier.
            3. Since BIOS 0037 the BIOS hangs when changing settings and use F10 to save the updated settings. A system reset is needed to overcome that problem.
            4. Since BIOS 0035 I cannot run my memory reliable anymore in 1600 MHz (using the XMS profile). Only 1333 MHz works reliable. With BIOS 0028 this was not a problem.
            5. With BIOS 0039 I am not able anymore to use the F7 option to flash a new BIOS. When I press F7 the BIOS just hangs. This was working with BIOS 0037.

One of the reasons I bought this board was that it came with the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. The original XTU 2.1 worked, but was not supporting Windows 7. The new XTU 3.x series do support Windows 8 but cannot be used for the DZ68BC. When will there be a XTU 3.x version that can be used for the DZ68BC? (the last update of the XTU tool was already 4 months ago).

• 3. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
              stephenb.b.r

Hey Victor_Intel

You amuse me, because you decided to ignore the fact that my first post clearly indicates that I'm on Intel Core i7-3770 to make things more clear i had updated the BIOS first to 0035 while i was on Intel Core i5-2500K, you will find my complains in all DZ68BC threads just read around.

I have used all 003x BIOS (i was on 0035, 0036, 0037 & now 0039) they all have issues i just want a fixed BIOS for my motherboard Intel should know better and the fixed BIOS better be VISUAL BIOS

My current system setup is:

Intel Core i7-3770

Intel Desktop Board DZ68BC

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2 x 4GB) @ 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 FTW 2GB @ PCI-E 3.0

PSU: Seasonic X-Series 660Watts 80Plus Gold

And don't tell me to get a second gen cpu and run recovery using 0035, been there done that, dint work, cant get the second gen cpu any more from the one who lent me his.

Just get us a working BIOS free from trouble for all DZ68BC users, its evident that all people with this board have problems with 003x BIOS regardless of 2nd or 3rd gen CPU

The fixed BIOS better be VISUAL BIOS

• 4. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
                stephenb.b.r

Just to put the word out there, I've asked in a tech forum for help on fixing the DZ68BC BIOS plus i requested them to make it VISUAL BIOS, no reply yet but i know something will come up soon. I pointed them to the latest 0039 BIOS plus the Latest VISUAL BIOS for reference. At this point I have nothing to loose I will try anything to get this board to work as it should.

• 5. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
                  matt

I can tell you this now there are very few fixes for this. The company I work for is building 40 of a similar build to yours and we had the exact same problem with as you. We ended up doing an RMA on 40 motherboards in exchanged for the version 404, which as you guessed did not work. Now we are in the process of exchanging our i7 3770's to i7 2600's. I even spoke to someone from the engineering department for 4 hours and he could not figure out what was wrong. In the end I told my boss not to ever use this motherboard again.

• 6. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
                    stephenb.b.r

Oh well it seems we are all doomed thanks to Intel, why? why? why? Mr. Henderson (Intel). Is it too much to ask for what should rightfully be done. FIX THE DZ68BC BIOS or grant all the DZ68BC users an exchange to 7 Series DZ77RE-75K

• 7. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
                      vbaderks

The DZ77RE-75K also had 9 BIOS updates, not sure if the track record of that BIOS is better than the DZ68BC bios...

Problem with the RMA is that there is a time slot (weeks) in which my primary development system hasn't a mobo.  Mayby a picture of my DZ68BC is enough to get a replacement DZ77RE-75K ? 

• 8. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
                        stephenb.b.r

You are right it doesn't have a good track record either, In fact we should not risk sending our boards first only to receive a faulty one as a replacement. So Intel should be the one to send out the boards to as first, that idea works for me. I ill provide them with the AA Number and serial number then they can send out a replacement to me.

• 9. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
                          MuscleBound

This should be a "no-brainer"!

Initial v028 BIOS was ok to run 1600 memory, a bit quirky, but doable.

Then the updates and the enforcement of the design specification. Beyond the above mentioned version has been nothing but a mess. Ok, so Sandy Bridge doesn't support native 1600 memory. Fine.

Version 039, I figured that maybe the Crusial memory was the issue (CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9), it's worked fine at 1333 for over a year. Now the computer doesn't even boot. Error 15 blips, see that and error code 32.

Ok, so maybe it's the processor memory controller, let's get a processor that has the required memory controller speed to run the 1600 memory. Ooo, the i7-3770K, sweet.

Pop that baby is and, guess what? You betcha. Same crappy memory issue! Fine, let's check the compatible memory chart. I'll replace the memory. Order me up some of that Kingston Hyper X, the 2GB sticks are on the chart. Alright, that's about as big as the chart model goes. I'll stick with the brand, but get the 4GB stick - total 16GB (KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX)

No go. Ok. Let's call technical support. RMA the board back to Intel. My original board AA number finished with 401, the one they sent me is a G30742-404.  A few revisions newer.

It's finally here. Get everything all together, and guess what? Same damned 3 beepin' memory error. Not seated I say? No, that's not it. RAM is brand spanking new! OK, the board shipped with version 035 BIOS. Let's hit the red button in back and can finally get it to boot. Load BIOS defaults, release the red button, reboot, OK, let's flash that old BIOS to v039.

Same abortion: sometimes it beeps, sometimes it boots, sometimes it sees all of the ram, sometimes it don't. Sometimes it let's me overclock, sometimes it don't, sometimes it let's me activate both RAID controllers, but then it won't POST to the CD drive to boot the disk loader.

The mobo looks like someone bent the crap out of the section where the back panel goes. So, who knows? One might think this isn't happening, but it is. I can show you the 8 hours of my life I'll never get back dealing with the piece of honkin' Corporate America! It's a beautiful thing - all shiny and new. Man!

Now the big question is, do I go with another brand, or keep wasting my time. I'd like to think that I have 1G invested in the stuff for a good reason, but I'm hard pressed to figure that one out right at this point.

Now that I've cried enough tears for 10 people, I guess I'll be caling them back at Intel and bitching to someone who cares. If there are any there who do. I'd image most of them work for Corporate America and don't.

The only 'no-brainer' I walk away with anymore is that: this is the reason America is floating in the toilet!

John

• 10. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
                            stephenb.b.r

Damn dude you had it rough, thanks for your input now we know that not even the new 404 version has anything solved so RMA to any same crappy DZ68BC is a wast of time, the only thing left is for Intel to produce a working BIOS free of problems for DZ68BC users.

I come across someone who claimed to be a BIOS developer at Intel when i asked for something at techpowerup he created an account just to answer what i asked. So any way this person stated that if I have patience i should wait for 8 Series, I wonder why he Indirectly suggested that i should skip 7 series too, basically we should skip both 6 and 7 series boards and wait for 8 series and 4gen CPUs.

• 11. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
                              MuscleBound

Thanks for your reply.

I called tech support back again today, and got a commitment that they would escalate the issue to engineering to try and resolve this. I will resend the information to them, that I originally sent in April 2012.

I was trying to find the process to follow here on Intel, but not sure where.

This is the following information that they basically wanted and requested to be sent for anyone

looking to escalate their issue:

1. Complete system configuration:

* Desktop Board:   DZ68BC
                                  * Board Altered Assembly Number (AA#):        AAG30742-401
                                  * Board Serial Number (SN#):      BTBC14300229
                                  * BIOS version:     0035

Chassis Vendor (please, provide the brand and model):       Home brew...
                                  * Power Supply [please, include the brand, model and wattage]:     Rosewill Bronze 850
                                  * Processor [please, include the core speed, FSB (Front Side Bus) and cache]:  

BX80623I72700K   S/N  MC151166A3681
                                  * Memory [please, include the brand, size, frequency and part number of the memory module(s)]:

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 (4X4GB)
                                  * Operating System:  WIN7
                                  * Service Pack:     SP1

2. Nature of the issue:   SEE –> http://communities.intel.com/thread/28910?start=0&tstart=0

3. Troubleshooting done:  Previously stated, contact me for more information.

4. SIU report: http://www.intel.com/support/siu.htm  <- Save an output file to send to them.

(Upon running this utility, you will be given a reference number. If you contact Intel for support, please provide that number.)

5. Report from "msinfo32" <- run on problem computer and save output file to send to them.

All this information was sent to crmotherboard_@mailbox.cps.intel.com either as text or as requested file attachments from the output of those utilities mentioned.

I originally got a confirmation, and the next day they closed the download site to investigate. Then, about a week later, when the site was back, there was a bolded notice about the issues with overclocking and such that made this revision such a problem for others.

Hopefully this helps others and we can get this resolved. Or, at least, find an explanation about what to do to limit the many issues people have.

John

• 12. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
                                stephenb.b.r

I sent that information more than 3 times last year and nothing has happened to date, I even had several case numbers that i got tired of following up coz they all lead to RMA which you clearly stated the board still has issues so as many other people running Ivy Bridge on this board who RMAd still have the issues with the new RMAd boards, Intel Just don't want to acknowledge that the issue is with the BIOS 0035 and above

They Just Need To FIX THE BIOS For DZ68BC

• 13. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
                                  MuscleBound

I just found this out, I guess Intel is getting out of the desktop board market.

Intel to Quit Making Motherboards | Maximum PC

Maybe I'll have to wait and see what happens in the future.

I started checking other board manufacturer specs. I see that Intel enforces the 1.5v memory for this board, and would think the board would support higher voltages. Other manufacturers ramp memory up to 1.65v for the same problem that I'm having an issue with, and those are based on the same chipset Z68 & Z77. Asus has many boards that I checked memory compatibility for, and anything above 1600 almost always runs at 1.65v.

Curiouser and curiouser...

It's tough to remain a Wall St. darling while a company milks the sacred cow dry, as they maximize shareholder wealth. I might imagine that is the same thing that happened to the board division at Intel. Labor is expensive, why can't we all just be wage-slaves (oh, right! we already are!). I might have to move to India just so I can get a better job (working for an American company).

Imagine all those Wall St. desks that contribute absolutely NOTHING to the American economy. Gee, I wonder why none of those morons have ever been prosecuted for the housing debacle. Oh, but don't complain to your boss about having to "take the hit for the team" by throwing yourself under the bus for the company. Christ! No offense Intel but I just about consider the DZ68BC a toxic asset.

Like George Carlin said, "They call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it!"

Another one bites the dust.

Stay hungry my friend !!

• 14. Re: Christmas Gift DZ68BC BIOS FIX, Please Intel
                                    MuscleBound

I just found this out, I guess Intel is getting out of the desktop board market.

Intel to Quit Making Motherboards | Maximum PC

Maybe I'll have to wait and see what happens in the future.

I started checking other board manufacturer specs. I see that Intel enforces the 1.5v memory for this board, and would think the board would support higher voltages. Other manufacturers ramp memory up to 1.65v for the same problem that I'm having an issue with, and those are based on the same chipset Z68 & Z77. Asus has many boards that I checked memory compatibility for, and anything above 1600 almost always runs at 1.65v. 

Curiouser and curiouser...

It's tough to remain a Wall St. darling while a company milks the sacred cow dry, as they maximize shareholder wealth. I might imagine that is the same thing that happened to the board division at Intel. Labor is expensive, why can't we all just be wage-slaves (oh, right! we already are!). I might have to move to India just so I can get a better job (working for an American company).

Imagine all those Wall St. desks that contribute absolutely NOTHING to the American economy. Gee, I wonder why none of those morons have ever been prosecuted for the housing debacle. Oh, but don't complain to your boss about having to "take the hit for the team" by throwing yourself under the bus for the company. Christ! No offense Intel but I just about consider the DZ68BC a toxic asset.

Like George Carlin said, "They call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it!"

Another one bites the dust.

Stay hungry my friend !!