1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 2:03 PM by sylvia_intel

DC3217IYE networking issues

Alberto Buratti

I have got some networking issues with DC3217IYE.

Both on ArchLinux and Ubuntu 12.10 it drops connections after a few seconds (for example downloading large files with wget). I tried to set a static ip address, but it did not helped at all; dmesg output is clean, no errors or problems reported.

Now I am going to install Windows 8 to run some more tests; I have read in another thread about some bios update to fix this issue; anyone knows when it will be released?

EDIT:

I tried to set the network port speed to 100mb full duplex on ArchLinux, now it seems to work better, although it still has some frequent speed drops.

• 1. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
          lhill

Update: we are testing a new BIOS that includes LAN fixes.  Stay tuned.

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

• 2. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
            Tobias

Any ETA on that bios update?

Got my NUC today and the 82579V network connection keeps dropping and where other computers gives me transferspeeds of 30 mbps the NUC has 0,5 mbps.

Im running Windows 8.

I have verified that it´s the 82579V which malfunctions by plugging in an USB network adapter and running the same tests and achieving the expected results. Will use that workaround for now, but not happy about it..

/Tobias

• 3. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
              radiorob

Same issue here.  I have two identical units one had the slow networking problem.  I was going to RMA for dead NIC and decided to try swapping out SSD\RAM.  I did this and both units are working with ubuntu 12.04.   I didn't change OS.

It might be that the leads from the WIFI antennae may have been touching the NIC internally causing some kind of interference.

Will be following this issue.  Please advise, I am using with my software to run digital signage.

Cheers

Rob

www.openbroadcaster.com

• 4. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
                lhill

Hi Rob,

Can you clarify?  Do you mean that after you swapped out components and possibly wiggled the antenna leads out of the way, that the LAN connection problems went away?

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

• 5. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
                  radiorob

That is correct.   I noticed the unused antennae leads were poking out of the plastic sheath when I swapped the components.

Rob

• 6. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
                    Kevin Cao

Is there an ETA on the bios update as we have a NUC that drop its networking connection down to a crawl less then .4 mbps download. We have tried using both wired connection and a USB wireless dongle and come up with the same result. With this product being advertised for digital signage, unreliable network is not something that can happen at all when it needs to be on 24/7.

-Kevin

• 7. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
                      lhill

Hi all,

The new BIOS version - 0036 - was posted a couple of days ago.  We have already had reports, however, that this one had no impact on some users' LAN drop problems.    Still... go ahead and try it out anyway.

We still have been unable to reproduce this issue here in our labs, so am looking for more information from users who are experiencing the problem. We need to be able to configure our LAN setup to match, so would need this type of info, if applicable to your situation:

- router make/model

- switch make/model

- are you using both wireless and wired? and if so, make/model of your wireless card

- operating system version

- connectivity (broadband, cable, DSL)?

- service provider

Thanks!

Lois H.

Intel

• 8. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
                        Nigel Jones

Lois,

I can confirm that I appear to be having the exact same problems as the others in this thread, with my new less than 24 hour old NUC the DC3217IYE from Batch CNG62BL101 (in case you are testing with a different batch) (edit: I even installed the latest BIOS after seeing references to fixing LAN issues).

The Wireless & mSATA slots are empty (I'm using a USB HDD while I wait for my mSATA drive to arrive from the States).

What is happening is in my instance is that when transferring files - either many files, or large files, at random (and fairly often) the networking will slow to a halt and just magically drop out.

All my tests have been with Linux, including:  Fedora 17 (Installer environment & fully updated), Fedora 18 (Live Environment), Ubuntu 12.10 (Installer Environment - too painful I just gave up), Ubuntu 13.04 (current installer Environment & fully updated to the current state of the 13.04 dev tree).  Also of note: I have also tested the latest e1000e module available on Intel's sourceforge.net project without change.

A tcpdump taken showed that during the file transfer that there was potentially an out of order incoming packet moments before communication stopped.  In one tcpdump on the remote side, I saw the NUC sending a packet with the Reset flag (however I don't have that stream saved).

An observation I've made is that pinging a host (any host) from the NUC seems to 'fix' the issue, and made installing Fedora 17 & Ubuntu 13.04 bearable - installing via PXE against a local HTTP mirror.  Via the ping results, I've observed that random packets will have a latency of >1s (compared to sub 1ms normally).  Without, connections will eventually timeout (such as wget reporting "Read error at byte x/y (Connection timed out). Retrying.").

In answer to the questions, I've tried connected to two different switches, a Netgear Prosafe GS108Tv2 and a D-Link DGS-1100-08, both Gigabit managed switches, and both switch ports are known good.  Other questions would be irrelevant as I'm only hitting the LAN and not going out to the Internet.

Lastly Lois, if Intel want specific tests performed/data provided, you are more than welcome to contact me outside the communities site.

• 9. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
                          Kevin Cao

If its possible I would like to put in a ticket for a RMA or refund on the product until this problem is remedied. We would really like to be able to use the NUC as a digital signage platform, but as it stand it is not possible at the moment. Once the network issues are solved we will definitely reconsider using the NUC.

• 10. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
                            Nigel Jones

So, I haven't had a lot of fun over the last week or so, bit the bullet and thought that by calling into support/warrantys it'd help open up a bit more of a direct line since "We still have been unable to reproduce this issue here in our labs, so am looking for more information from users who are experiencing the problem.", in the event that extra details would be useful.

Instead I get a fairly generic reply "have you tried with Windows", well after a week waiting for an mSATA drive to show up, I can certainly confirm what Tobias said earlier in this thread, it certainly happens in both Linux and Windows.

Another interesting observation:  The Serial Number/'Version Number' (aka AA code) on the box don't work on the warranty checker site, and don't match the Serial/AA in the BIOS, which do work on the site - is this meant to be the case?

• 11. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
                              Ian Hagon

So I have a networking issue too but I'm not 100% sure it's the exact same issue. I'm using windows 8, I tried ubuntu briefly and had the same problem but I've not tested with it recently.

Basically network performance is rubbish, very bursty dropping to nothing for long periods.

However if I don't have anything in the HDMI socket thats next to the LAN connector I get full speed.

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

• 12. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
                                Nigel Jones

Ian wrote:

So I have a networking issue too but I'm not 100% sure it's the exact same issue. I'm using windows 8, I tried ubuntu briefly and had the same problem but I've not tested with it recently.

Basically network performance is rubbish, very bursty dropping to nothing for long periods.

However if I don't have anything in the HDMI socket thats next to the LAN connector I get full speed.

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

Ian, you are a genius.

I think I must've subconsciously used the HDMI port closest to my ethernet port, in every single test.  Switching to the port closest to the USB ports has allowed me to PXE boot/install Fedora 17 no issues, and my 4GB test file downloaded at an average of 109MB/sec (or 872mbit/s), which I think may be a record for my network.

So it looks like the Ethernet port/controller and the nearby HDMI port aren't very good neighbours.

• 13. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
                                  Ian Hagon

Well it's nice to know it's not just me with that problem, It took me a while to figure it out. I was convinced for a while that it was a network cable issue but then I got the problem back so after a bit more messing about I noticed when when I had one HDMI's disconnected I was getting good transfer rates. Then it was a simple case of trying each one in turn. It's a complete bummer for me because I actually need to use both at once.

• 14. Re: DC3217IYE networking issues
                                    Bruce Segal

Same problem here, same solution. Thanks Ian. Lucky for me I currently don't need the dual displays.

1 2 3 Previous Next