3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2014 11:04 AM by allan_intel RSS

ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller Driver update - Windows 7 64-bit

laurus12 Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

As the discussion tread title says, I am trying to update my ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop with the Intel GM45 Express Chipset. The reason for this is because of performance/ATAPI errors. I have downloaded a file set from Intel download pages, but I would like to take things from start to explain my confusion.

Before using the file set I downloaded from Intel it said in Device manager "Intel(R) ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2929", and as "Driver Provider" it said Intel. But when pressing the "Driver Details" button all four drivers are listed with Microsoft as provider. Do anyone know why this is? The files were atapi.sys, ataport.sys, msahci.sys and pciidex.sys.

Then when I updated the drivers with the file set "RST_11.6.0.1030_RAID_AHCI_driver_GUI_CLI_2012.10.11" (RST and AHCI Driver and GUI), it now says "Inte(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller", but with only two files listed when pressing the "Driver Details" button. These are iaStorA.sys and iaStorF.sys . I chose the mentioned file set, because it said on the download page that it supported the "Intel® 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller".

Can anyone please tell me why this is and if everything is okay?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Laurus

• 1. Re: ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller Driver update - Windows 7 64-bit
    laurus12 Community Member

Not the obvious solution, but I have had no errors since I installed the SATA AHCI driver from the "RST and AHCI Driver and GUI" file package. My computer is also running smoother than previously. So I guess that everything is well.

People with the same issue can search for the file package at Intel Downloads by using the words "RST and AHCI Driver and GUI". I used Windows Device Manager for installing the driver. Both x86 and x64 drivers are in the folder called Drivers.

Case solved.

Laurus

• 2. Re: ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller Driver update - Windows 7 64-bit
    thoey15 Community Member

Thank you so much! Your email was extremely helpful.

I had just upgraded a Lenovo Thinkpad T500 from XP32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit. I could not find any specific details at the Lenovo site regarding Windows Update issue and the old driver for the Intel ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller. I attempted several times to update the driver using the Device Manager for the Intel ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller, but I continued to get a message that it was up to date.

Using your comments, I followed the Intel download pages. The Intel read me document specifically includes ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller. It also requires the install of "Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility", which I found and installed. However, I had expected to be able to run the program, but to no avail as it has no UI. However, upon installing Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology, it launched and ran perfectly.

Windows Update is now working again for my Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller Driver update - Windows 7 64-bit
    allan_intel Community Member

Glad you got help in the forums. Thanks for joining the community and sharing the post.

Allan.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points