1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 10, 2012 5:30 AM by Intel_Karla

HP Z820 - 2x E5-2680 - 75°C @ full load, long-term acceptable?

driesv

I recently acquired an HP Z820 equipped with 2x E5-2680.

The primary use for this system is KeyShot rendering.

When rendering for a couple of hours with all 16 cores fully loaded, I notice that the CPU cores reach a maximum temperature of 75°C. This is with 'fan idle mode' in BIOS set to: **°°°° (level 3 out of 7). At this setting the noise coming from the fans is acceptable.

I plan on using this machine 24/7 (it's also configured to act as a rendering slave in our network rendering setup), but the CPU temperatures are worrying me.

• Is 75°C a safe temperature for prolonged periods of operation?
      • Is it OK to run 2x E5-2680 24/7 with all cores near 100% loaded @ 75°C?

greetings,

Dries

• 1. Re: HP Z820 - 2x E5-2680 - 75°C @ full load, long-term acceptable?

Hello Dries Vervoort,

Usually the core temperature is higher than the overall processor’s temperature and the most accurate value is the overall. Therefore, this is the temperature used to measure/determine if the processor is presenting thermal issues.

What we have available in regards to this matter is the TCase value; The TCase is a number established by Intel® as a point of reference in order to understand what could be expected as per normal processor temperature.

Anything from the TCase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor (watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.) When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the TCase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees or more it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it will not be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down.

The normal processor temperature will depend on the chassis type, the hardware involved and the location of the computer, and it usually is lower than the TCase.

The TCase value for your processor is 85°C; therefore, even under full load as per your information, the processor remains within specifications. Please find your processor specifications at: http://ark.intel.com/products/64583/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2680-20M-Cache-2_70-GHz-8_00-GTs-Intel-QPI

1 of 1 people found this helpful