2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2012 9:15 AM by Codrut Popescu

cannot upgrade to Windows 8 on DB75EN

Codrut Popescu

I don't know if this is related to the motherboard but it is the closest place to ask I can think of.

I do have the following configuration:

Intel Desktop Board DB75EN - updated to the latest BIOS from the Intel's website

Intel Core i5-3470 Processor

Corsair Vengeance - 32 GB Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10)

Intel SSD 520 series 240 GB disk drive

a Chieftec 350 W power source

running on the HD2500 integrated video

I had installed my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit which was running very stable and smooth. But because Home Premium Edition is limited to 16 GB of memory I have though to purchase the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, an upgrade which is part of a special offer. Windows 8 Pro seems to support up to 192 GB of memory.

The problem is that the upgrade fails. Windows 8 cannot boot correctly. After installation the booting process just hangs. I think it is related to this UEFI boot procedure. Is this a known issue? Does this motherboard support Windows 8? Or is it too early to ask? Are there any special settings for the installation of Windows 8? I have read somewhere that somehow the problem can be resolved by enabling the how swap capability of the SSD drive in BIOS. However I tried this too but to no avail.

Also the spinning circle which is the first think to see when Windows 8 is booting is overlapped over the BIOS picture which you can see when booting up on this motherboard. This can be due to the integrated Ivy Bridge video card. Is this a desktop BIOS bug, a CPU bug or a Windows 8 bug?

Thanks