Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Mouse Pointer "Lag" in Dual-GPU setup with HD3000

HLepp
Novice

Hi,

Ever since recent newer graphics driver releases, my mouse pointer starts to lag/stutter on my Desktop PC with a SNB 2600K (HD3000 GPU).

I'm now running the 2761 driver (15.26.12.64.2761), and its fine. Any newer driver in the 28xx series exhibits the issue.

My setup is as following:

I have 3 screens, one (a 30" running 2560x1600) is connected to my NVIDIA GPU (GTX 680 running 310 series drivers), and the other two (24" each, 1920x1200) are connected to the Intel iGPU. The motherboard has a Z68 chipset (ASUS P8Z68-V PRO)

With the 2761 driver, everything is smooth, no issues.

With the newer 28xx driver release, moving the cursor will occasionally make it "hang" for a split second and then jump forward again, making accurate navigation sometimes rather tricky. It can be easily observed moving the cursor in circles over a white window. I feel like its happening even more often in Visual Studio when i'm developing, but it may just be more annoying there.

On Windows 7, i can just stick to the 2761 driver, not a big problem for me.

However, I've been planing to upgrade to Windows 8, and one test-install i did also showed the same issue, but all drivers with official Windows 8 compat seem to show the issue, so this is a blocking issue here.

If you are interested in any more details, please let me know.

I hope this can be resolved.

- Hendrik

38 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Hendrik

Thanks for posting this info. We have replicated the behavior and are investigating it,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm seeing this issue as well on my brand new Dell Latitude E6230 running in dual screen configuration.

The problem seems well described here:

http://superuser.com/questions/492685/cursor-lag-when-mouse-cursor-changes/522303# 522303 windows 8 - Cursor lag when mouse cursor changes? - Super User

Please advise when a solution might be available.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Robert, any chance of an update?

I think you can see this is a serious problem, and I bet we'd all like to know what's going on, if anything at all.

Thanks in advance,

René

0 Kudos
HLepp
Novice

Just to follow up, i installed the latest driver (15.28.12.64.2932) today, and so far i cannot reproduce the issue anymore (on Win7 at least)

0 Kudos
HLepp
Novice

Nevermind, it still happens, but it seems less obvious now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm also experiencing this problem (as metioned in the linked Super User post), and it's bugging me extremely much.

I've tried just about everything. Even preventing graphics driver installations, but nothing seems to work.

Also contacted Intel Support through email, which just kept repeating it was my manufacturer's fault, or other components, or anything BUT the Intel drivers, over and over. Of course I became quite mad when I checked this post, and Intel suddenly replies like they actually care.

Please Intel, get some people on this. This might be the most annoying thing I have ever experienced on a computer, and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one.

I'm constantly forced to disconnect my 2nd monitor to get anything done.

Thanks,

- René

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Issue also reproduces on ASUS S400CA laptop (i5 3317U, Win 8, latest drivers from website on current moment), while connecting second monitor via HDMI. Cursor lags every time when it changes (over liks, text fields, etc).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I'm also seeing and replicating this issue. I just purchased three monitors. I have a Radeon 7850 driving two monitors via HDMI/DVI and the third monitor using the onboard Intel graphics (core i5 ivy); even tried running two monitors for the onboard and one on the discrete. This is on a Z77 chipset (Gigabyte UD5H). Happens all the time when moving the mouse over an area that causes the mouse cursor to change.

0 Kudos
CYork
Beginner

Same issue here on the i5 3570k (HD 4000). The mouse only lags when browsing web pages within FireFox. I tested a reinstall with the ASUS supplied drivers (27xx series) and the lag is gone. However when using the latest one available from Intel the lag occurs. Reinstalling Windows without the iGPU enabled no lag at all, enable it and install the latest drivers, lag occurs.

Intel has huge pockets, this issue should have been fixed already. I wish I could find a decent Mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter that does not quit working after a month else I would use all 3 monitors on my Radeon 6870.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same issue here on an i5-3450, Win 8 Pro and two monitors connected to a ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP Intel H77 motherboard. The problem occurs as described here:

http://superuser.com/questions/492685/cursor-lag-when-mouse-cursor-changes/522303# 522303 windows 8 - Cursor lag when mouse cursor changes? - Super User

This is a serious and totally annoying problem. I hope this can and will be solved in the near future

idata
Employee

I have almost the same set up as the OP and I'm having the same issue and it's rather distracting.

Any help?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just as a follow up I've been googling and it seems that if you go to control panel, mouse and turn off pointer shadows it fixes it. Well it has for me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same thing happens with HP EliteBook 2570p (Intel HD 4000) and latest drivers.

Tried all fixes found here: http://superuser.com/questions/492685/cursor-lag-when-mouse-cursor-changes windows 8 - Cursor lag when mouse cursor changes? - Super User but didn't help. Disabling mouse pointer shadow didn't work for me.

Very annoying bug, please fix it.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

We have a fix for this issue and will release it in an upcoming driver update. I will post information on this thread when the driver is available on Intel Download Center.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks Robert!

Thank you so much for the update. I would seriously suggest you guys take a look at your email support though.

As I said, they just keep saying it has nothing to do with Intel, and it's just my laptop, and every single other PC component in the world's fault.

Looking forward to the update. Just in time for my new PC, which won't actually use the Intel GPU... Lol.

- René

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a Dell All In One 27 and it is using the Intel HD Graphics 4000 with a Core i7. It also has an Nvidia GeForce 640M. I have tried everything and the issue is still there. Please let us know when the issue is fixed for the Intel HD Graphics 4000 device.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can try to remove intel driver for HD 4000 and let Windows to download one provided by Microsoft. It's not suitable workaround for me without dedicated graphic card (second monitor is not working), but it might be for you...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Any idea on when this driver will be released?

0 Kudos
NMurr
Beginner

I still see this issue on my HD4000 with dual monitors and the latest drivers, has the fix been released yet? I can only assume no as you said you would post information on this thread when available

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

tonalt,

Try changing your pointer scheme to (none). Make sure you click apply.

0 Kudos