3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2012 1:05 PM by Brad

Board doesn't see hard drive unless it wants to.

pcxjp3

Hi,

I've got a DQ67SW (I think), BIOS is SWQ6710H.86A.0061.2012.0210.1130

My hard drive (which is using GRUB 2) is the only bootable device (and first on the boot list).  When I try to boot, it says: A bootable device has not been detected.  Please refer to the Product Guide at http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/.  (the product guide didn't help much) But if I press F10 on bootup (to get the boot menu), select the hard drive and press return, it boots.

So it's clearly getting itself into a bit of a kerfuddle.

Any suggestions?

Edit: the question is, how do I get it to boot straight to the hard drive without prompting? given the above.

• 1. Re: Board doesn't see hard drive unless it wants to.
          Brad

Try adding a hard disc pre-delay in the BIOS under drive configuration. Not sure what the minimum value is for your board, maybe 5 seconds? Try that and see if things boot properly.

• 2. Re: Board doesn't see hard drive unless it wants to.
            pcxjp3

Didn't work I'm afraid (min was 5 secs).  I also tried the max (30 secs) just in case, but the error is still there.

• 3. Re: Board doesn't see hard drive unless it wants to.
              Brad

Some other things to consider and try, which SATA connector on the motherboard is the HD connected to? SATA port 0 would be ideal. Also, if you do an install of an OS and then move the drive to a different SATA port, you could experience boot problems. I'm almost thinking this is a problem with how you installed the OS and the grub 2 bootloader.

If you have a spare drive or don't care what's on the drive that doesn't boot properly, do a fresh install of Ubuntu from CD or USB stick, telling the installer to use the entire drive and overwrite any existing OS's and partitions. When the install is complete you should have no trouble booting from the hard drive.