1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 1, 2012 6:02 AM by Brad

Intel Motherboard DP35DP Memory Ram Upgrade HELP!

Len Krieger

Ok let me begin, I have the Intel dp35dp  and I an running win7 64bit and I am using the original Corsair  CM2X2048-6400C5 memory/ram 4GB (2 sticks of 2GB)  I bought  two more sticks of the exact same memory.  Same Brand, same everything I read the serial/model numbers off the exisiting memory I do have and ordered the same.  My Processor is q9550 2.83 Mhz.

The memory arrived.  I installed them  All worked well for about 2mins and for some reason I clicked on my Norton anti virus and blue screen of death showed up.  I removed the memory all was well.   So I tried again to install the memory and the same thing happened  the system booted and after about a miniute the blue screen was back.  I pulled out on of the stick of ram that I know work well and put one of the new ones in and it booted up fine.  I shut down and repeated this but removing the new stick of ram and and replacing it with another new stick of ram and when I powered up the mother board beeped continually  and refused to boot..  So I returned the (what  I thought was a bad ram stick) and got another one (Same everything make, specs ect)  This time my mother board Beeped twice and sat there and refused to POST or boot windows.  The system shut down By it self and restarted and the same thing happened again.  I finally shut down the power and removed the two sticks of new memory and my system booted up fine.

Now I come to all of you  WHAT AM I DOING WRONG...Anyone, everyone, Please help. 

• 1. Re: Intel Motherboard DP35DP Memory Ram Upgrade HELP!
          Brad

Len Krieger wrote:

I am using the original Corsair  CM2X2048-6400C5 memory/ram 4GB (2 sticks of 2GB)  I bought  two more sticks of the exact same memory.  Same Brand, same everything I read the serial/model numbers off the exisiting memory I do have and ordered the same.

The problem is you are assuming if you buy two more DIMMS of the exact same brand and model, they are identical to the original matched pair. Unfortunately this is not true. Sometimes a second matched pair will work but often they don't. The only way you can be sure 4 DIMMS will work together is if you buy them all at the same time as a matched set.

I tried using a pair of Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 in my DP35DP. The system was never stable and got lots of BSOD's. I replaced them with XMS2 memory and all the problems went away. I never tried running 8GB of memory in the DP35DP and Corsair doesn't list an 8GB matched kit for the DP35DP. It's the same with Crucial and Kingston brand. While technically on paper Intel says the DP35DP can run 8GB I doubt it's true. Or maybe it was true at one time but DDR2 memory is now old technology and finding an 8GB matched kit is very rare and expensive.

My advice is you give up on the idea of running 8GB of memory in the DP35DP. I actually bricked one of my DP35DP motherboards trying to mess with the memory settings. If you want a system with 8GB of memory you will need to replace the motherboard that uses DDR3.