3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2013 9:02 PM by klepper

How Long does Raid 5 initialization Take for a 3TB X 4? 40 Hours.

klepper

I just wanted to post this here so that if anyone else searching (thus the keywords awkward keywords everywhere)  wonders how long does RAID 5 Initialization takes for a 8.5TB (9TB) 3TB X 4 (12TB) The Drives were new Seagate 7200.14's 7200 RPM

It takes just under 40 hours (i7 2600K, 16GB RAM, 2133 fresh virgin install W7 x64, with all updates and chipsets drivers installed and working, using on motherboard RAID Intel chip (ASUS Z67) ) No kidding. 40 hours is what it took. And I couldn't write to it (was not in windows yet) until I did initialize it. Which is what you're suppose to do.

Hope this helps someone someday. Cheers.

raid 5 initialization

raid 5 initialization time

raid 5 initialization how long

• 1. Re: How Long does Raid 5 initialization Take for a 3TB X 4? 40 Hours.
          Fred_Intel

Hi klepper

Thanks you for posting this information.

There is no estimated time for a RAID volume initialization.  That depends on the different components each computer has.

Thanks!

• 2. Re: How Long does Raid 5 initialization Take for a 3TB X 4? 40 Hours.
            Brian Cooney

This was extremely encouraging for me  ha!  Thanks Klepper!   I started formatting a 4/3TB RAID 5 array on Seagate Barracudas/ 7200 yesterday at 3pm...  it is now 11am the following day and no way of telling from the utility when this will end.   I formated a pegasus 8TB a few weeks back and that took 12 hours.   This thing is into 18 hours now.  You figure if the utility can manage the PCIe card to format the drives and buid the array, it could at least give you some kind of progress bar..   this has nothing but a list on screen that refreshses constantly to the same thing.. GAH!   well.. patience is a virtue I guess.

• 3. Re: How Long does Raid 5 initialization Take for a 3TB X 4? 40 Hours.
              klepper

GREETINGS again. 

Time to upgrade to 4TB X 4 = 11.17TB or 12TB RAID 5 (Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM000 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive 5900 RPM)

Identical Hardware

Time to initialize? 55 hours,

This seems to be an interesting metric, it's a little over 200GB per hour, so that may be a rule of thumb to get into the ballpark on how long it's going to take to initialize your RAID 5. 

Hope these updated numbers are helpful l again to someone somewhere.