1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2012 1:40 PM by Diego_Intel

RSTe: question regarding migrating from single pass-through to 4-drive RAID 10

blackmagic

The user manual states that the Intel RAID software supports migration from individual pass-through to 4-drive RAID 10.

I am starting from a single pass-through 4TB drive, and I am migrating to a 4-drive RAID 10 made from three more drives identical to the pass-through.

I used the RSTe application to create the RAID array, and chose the option to preserve data from my pass-through drive.

I got a pop-up window stating that creation was successful, and that I would need to create a partition on the drive upon completion.

Now, the RSTe application displays that migration is occurring, which is good.

The user manual is unclear on how exactly this is supposed to proceed; it simply states:

1. Under Proposed Configuration, review the selected configuration. (You can point at the configuration's icons for detailed information.)
      2. Click ‘Create Volume’ if you want to create the volume using the selected configuration. Otherwise, click ‘Back’ and make any necessary changes. The process starts immediately.
      3. Once completed, a dialog displays to notify you that the volume was successfully created. Click ‘OK’ to close the dialog box.
      4. The Volumes pane displays the new volume.
      5. Create a partition on the new volume using Windows* Disk Management. (Please refer to "Using Windows* Disk Manager", below.)

I have successfully completed through step (3), and I see the new volume in the Volumes pane; but as migration is now occurring, I am unclear on precisely when I am supposed to create a partition, and what kind of partition I'm supposed to make.  Am I supposed to wait until migration has finished?  The Help simply says to create a new partition, but when I am in Windows' Device Manager, I do not see the new volume on which to create a new partition.  I see my optical drives, my boot drives, and the pass-through drive, but nothing else.