3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 9:40 AM by Diego_Intel

USB Controller doesn't start with Windows 8 (HM65 Express)

stannieman

Hi,

Since I upgraded to Windows 8, sometimes one (or both) of the USB Controllers don't start.

(Intel(R) Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D

Intel(R) Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26)

The chipset is a HM65 Express, and I'm already having the problem since the developers preview of Windows 8.

All updates are installed and all my drivers are up to date. The problem didn't occur with windows 7.

It appears that I'm not alone, here's a link to a thread I started on the technet forums: click

All but 2 of them have the exact same issue with Windows 8 and the HM65 Express chipset with a 2nd gen core i CPU.

So basically, I wondered if it would be possible to look into this issue and perhaps release a driver update to resolve it.

As a sidenote: one of the other people on the technet forums has a notebook that has an official by Toshiba supported upgrade to Windows 8, so it has to be fixed for his as his computer is still under support.

• 1. Re: USB Controller doesn't start with Windows 8 (HM65 Express)
          Amin

I have the same problem. My notebook is ASUS N53SV with Intel® HM65 Express Chipset. I wonder if intel or asus would give a solution for this problem. I've searched alot since I purchased and installed Windows 8 pro on my notebook but I couldn't find any solution.

• 2. Re: USB Controller doesn't start with Windows 8 (HM65 Express)
            Mark Verrijdt

Well my notebook is a n53sv with latest bios rev and installed windows 8 a while ago. I can't remember my usb were working or not but I definitely installed the chipset driver as always. After I noticed my USB 3.0 port was working fine I realised my USB 2.0 ports were dead. I recently installed the latest inf file for my chipset and I experienced the same problem as mentioned by TS. I uninstalled the new driver and went back to driver version 6.2.9200.16518. That seems to work atm, not sure what happens after a reboot.

• 3. Re: USB Controller doesn't start with Windows 8 (HM65 Express)
              Diego_Intel

USB 2.0 support has been naively provided by the operating system itself since Microsoft* Windows* XP Service Pack 2 and later operating systems, in which no additional drives has to be provided for that interface to work, as the drivers are inbox drivers that come with the operating system itself.

In this case, Microsoft* Windows* 8 is not the exception, so these drivers are developed and provided directly by Microsoft*. Therefore, if you have issues using such mature hardware interface, you should check directly with Microsoft* for support on this.