4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2012 12:23 PM by Bill

RAID10 Initializing

Bill

I have a brand new build based on the Asus Rampage IV Extreme (x79 express) motherboard.

I have four WD RE4 500 GB hard drives hooked to the Intel SATA controller in a RAID10 array (created via the CTRL-I option during POST) .

I just installed Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) yesterday along with some other programs today. After Windows downloaded and installed some automatic updates, I rebooted the system. When Windows came back up, the Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise v9.x automatically started to Initialize the RAID10 array. I have never manually initialized or verified this RAID10 array via the software. Parity Errors and Blocks with Media Errors both show zero.

So far, it is 35% complete and the current system status indicates that everything is functioning normal and all of the drives have check marks beside them.

Is this normal behavior or an indication of something going wrong?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: RAID10 Initializing
          Diego_Intel

Hello,

It is expected that the system takes some time to fully initialize the RAID array you created, specially taking under consideration the size of it.

In this case you can continue using the system as normal as this is expected.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: RAID10 Initializing
            Bill

Thanks for the response.

I am having issues setting up a RAID10 array. Every few days, or weeks, this thing keeps telling me that one of the four drives has gone bad.

I ran the diagnostic program from Western Digital and it says all four drives check out fine.

It may have to do with the Intel drivers that Asus thinks work on my x79 chipset mobo.

Asus has me using v3.5 of the drivers but when I go directly to Intel's site they say that the 3.5 drivers are just the 3.2 drivers with Win8 enhancements and they say NOT to use them with Win7 (which I have).

I reinstalled Win7 for the millionth time and am using older drivers for the SATA (pre-Win8 release) to see if that helps.

I have setup RAID arrays before, but never with this much hassle.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be most welcomed. Thanks again for the reply.

• 3. Re: RAID10 Initializing
              Diego_Intel

Hello,

In fact ff you are running Windows*  8 t is not recommended to use, or upgrade to the 3.5 driver version. In this case you could check with Asus* if they have validated a newer version of this application to be compatible with Microsoft* Windows* 7 or older, however from our side we would suggest you to use version 3.2

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: RAID10 Initializing
                Bill

I have been pulling my hair out over the past three weeks with RAID10 arrays failing altogether or having one of the member disks start reporting as bad.

If I hadn't gone to the Intel site looking for drivers for my Intel SATA controller, I would have never seen the warning about not using v3.5 with Win7.

I have always trusted Asus to have the latest working drivers available for their motherboards on their web site. They really dropped the ball on this one.

Once I am 100% convinced that this is the cause of all of my frustration, I will contact them in hopes that they will update their drivers appropriately.

On a related subject (if you don't mind)...

I am running the Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise monitoring software for the SATA controller. It does not immediately start up when booting into Win7. I read the Intel solution for this, but it says you have to go to the Properties and go under the General tab and make a change. I can't find any way to get to the Properties for this application. The closest I could find was to look at the properties that the link points to: IAStorUI.exe but the General tab for that program does not have the option that the Intel solution describes.

If possible, can you provide a more detailed method to enable this software to start sooner upon booting?

Thanks again for all of your responses.