5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 2:00 PM by

DX58SO Bios upgrade renders motherboard useless

chrisrcarlson

We've had 2 systems which have been rendered useless via the BIOS upgrade utility (Express BIOS, .iso, USB).  The Recovery mechanism seems to fail.

I have a need to update the BIOS to the latest version since that will support the AHCI and Raid Controller.  How can I do this, without killing my system?

• 1. Re: DX58SO Bios upgrade renders motherboard useless
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

Before doing these steps, do a cmos clear of the board by removing the battery & AC power and wait for 5 mins.

1. Then try a bios recovery using a formatted USB media.

Instructions for Recovery BIOS Updates

In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it is possible the BIOS may be left in an unusable state. The recovery process requires the chassis to be opened to move the onboard BIOS Configuration Jumper.

WARNING: This process is intended to be performed by a trained technician.

Recovery with Formatted USB Stick

1. Copy the recovery file (*.bio) to a formatted usb disk.
             Website: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8Clearance.aspx?Type=&agr=Y&ProductID=3018&DwnldID=17377&url=/17377/eng/SO3504P.BIO&PrdMap=&strOSs=38&OSFullName=OSIndependent&lang=eng

2. Place the usb disk in the target system.
          3. Shut down the system and unplug AC power.
          4. Open the chassis and remove the BIOS Configuration Jumper. See the Technical Product

Specification for details including the location of this jumper.
          5. Power the system on.
          6. Wait 2-5 minutes for the update to complete. When the usb drive LED is lit, the system

is copying the recovery code into the FLASH device.
          7. System will either turn off when the recovery process is completed or it will prompt

you to turn off the system.
          8. Remove usb disk
          9. Replace the BIOS Configuration Jumper.
          10. Restart system.

Note: these can be found on:
          Website: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17377/eng/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf
          Page 3

The latest bios is Version 3504.

Regards,
          Aryan

• 2. Re: DX58SO Bios upgrade renders motherboard useless
            chrisrcarlson

That is the exact procedure that was followed.  via CD-ROM, and USB flash drive.  Only method not tried is via a USB Floppy.

It's a terrible problem for a released production motherboard.

- Chris

• 3. Re: DX58SO Bios upgrade renders motherboard useless

I aslo have a dead board and processor after installing the latest flash, system never rebooted it won't even power on. I decided to upgrade to dual Nvidia 295 and needed the new flash to support SLI. I downloaded new executable flash, started flash application from windows system reboted started flashing which was reported successful, system went to reboot and it is dead it won't even power on.  It powers on for 1 sec and then everything even the power suply goes dead. I flashed the board in the same way at least three previous times. I bought a new motherboad installed the processor and nothing, bought a new processor placed in old board still dead. The new processor and board works fine the old board and processor dead. Help.

• 4. Re: DX58SO Bios upgrade renders motherboard useless
                chrisrcarlson

I was able to flash the BIOS using the bootable USB flash drive method.  It is critical that the BIOS config jumper be removed prior to starting the BIOS update. Once started it doesn't seem to matter.

My new problem is related to installing Windows XP using the Intel Matrix RAID.  Each time, this yields a blue-screen of death after loading the latest F6 drivers for the ICH10R iostor.sys

It's very frustrating.  Makes me think I should bypass XP and go to Vista or Windows 7 Beta.

• 5. Re: DX58SO Bios upgrade renders motherboard useless

For the record, this issue has long since been resolved.  The Easy BIOS update utility has been working flawlessly for the last several BIOS iterations.