Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

I upgraded my HP g7-1260us from an i3-2330m to an i7-2670qm and cannot get Turbo Boost to activate.

idata
Employee

Ive recently upgraded my hp pavilion g7-1260us (i3-2330m) to an i7-2670qm. Now I cannot get turbo boost to operate and the clock speed stays at .8-.9GHz. There is no options in the BIOS for it. I have tried to use Intel ETU (will not let me change any options) and Throttlestop(no change). It acts like it's not enabled but I cannot find a way to enable or even see anything that relates to Turbo Boost. Turbo Boost monitor is installed also and stays at energy saver. The temperature also stays in the operating range for it. If anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated. I have run out. Here is my specs if it will help (none is OEM).

HP g7-1260us

i7-2670qm- 2.2Ghz Turbo Boost- 3.1Ghz

8GB RAM ddr3-12800

750GB HDD Scorpio black

Windows 7 Pro 64

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Can you post a screen shot of how you have ThrottleStop set up?

ThrottleStop writes information directly to registers within the CPU so if you have it set up correctly, you should be able to get Turbo Boost working.

When Intel Turbo Boost is disabled, it's usually a problem with the bios not setting your CPU up correctly.

You can also contact the author of ThrottleStop directly at the email address listed in the About box for further help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The Bios does not have the Turbo boost option. It is insyde version f.65 which is the most resent one. The g7-1265nr has turbo boost with the same BIOS and I am unable to find the differences with the two models to see why it wont enable on this one. Hp support said it should be automatically activated but they were giving me the run around on the whole thing since it is not OEM.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Can you reboot and before starting ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file so it can read how the bios has set up your CPU. Is EIST enabled? Is there any option in the bios to make sure EIST - SpeedStep is enabled?

If EIST is enabled by default, what happens when you uncheck BD PROCHOT? You can run a single thread of the TS Bench just to put some load on your CPU. If there is a problem on your motherboard or with this CPU, the bi-directional processor hot signal can be sent to the CPU which tells the CPU that it is too hot which forces it to throttle. When this happens, it will get locked to the minimum 8 multiplier regardless of its core temperature.

Are you using the Windows High Performance profile?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That took care of it. I got it to clock up to 2.8. EIST is enabled by default. It looks like it was throttling keeping the the processor from reaching its base and turbo boosting. I am going to have to work on the cooling though because the temp was in the upper 80s and lower 90s on a 5 min 100% CPU load.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Many stress testing applications put a bigger load on your CPU compared to the majority of programs people run. A peak core temperature of 90C is getting hot but it is still within the Intel specification.

The ThrottleStop TRL window should show you what turbo multipliers are available based on how many cores are in the active state. Windows background tasks will keep at least one core activated on a regular basis so this usually prevents you from obtaining the full 1 core multiplier even when running a single threaded benchmark.

Good to hear that you got Turbo Boost working. Some laptops use a beefier heatsink and fan when a Quad Core CPU is installed at the factory.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah Im probably just going to monitor it and see what happens with normal use. Thank for all your help!

0 Kudos