7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2013 4:37 PM by Victor_Intel

DZ77RE-75K not recognizing a XFX R7870 DD 1GHz 2GB Video Card

Steve

After building a new computer with this board it wouldn't recognize either a XFX HD5870 or the R7780 plugged into the PCI-E x16 expansion slot. When I did manage to get the enter BIOS screen displayed by unplugging the PCI-E card completelyand connecting the onboard HDMI to a 1080p display it appeared that the PCI-E GPU's were not being seen addressed during post.

After several re-slots without a video cable connected to the PCI-E GPU, so I could see what was going on in the BIOS on the 1080p connected to the onboard HDMI, I did eventually manage to get the 5870 to be recognized in the BIOS and have an address space allocatted after which it worked ok using the DVI to a Dell 24" Ultra sharp 1900x1200 and the GPU cards HDMI to a 1080p screen. It was hit and miss though for the BIOS to recognise the card immediately (managed to get it recognized 2 times after which gave up since it was working) after starting fresh and re-slotting the card each time and entering BIOS to see if an address was allocated. The 7870 was just never recognized and addressed ever.

After updating the BIOS, to v.590, the 5870 seems to be automatically recognized (not extensively verified) and given an address all the time however the 7870 still will just never be recognized and given an address in the BIOS even after numerous re-slots. I recently flashed to v.60 BIOS and will try again this weekend to see if the 7870 can ever be automatically recognized by the BIOS and addressed.

Anyone know if this is a problem with the BIOS and might be fixed in a future flash? It seems to me to be a BIOS problem where the PCI-E GPU's are not being seen during post and allocated an address and as such are non-existent. Anyone know of a soultion to this problem? I tried many different BIOS configurations during all this. The 5870 appears now to be recognized all the time on default BIOS setting for the video in the latest BIOS version (requires more testing to verify) but the 7870 still refuses to be seen by the BIOS at least on the v.59.

• 1. Re: DZ77RE-75K not recognizing a XFX R7780 DD 2GB Video Card
          Brad

What processor do you have installed? I was reading the tech pub on another intel motherboard where it said that PCI-E 3.0 was only enabled when an Ivy Bridge processor was installed. Otherwise the PCI-E slot would operate at the 2.0 spec. That does seem to be the big difference between your two video cards, one is a 2.0 while the R7780 is a 3.0 that's giving you trouble.

• 2. Re: DZ77RE-75K not recognizing a XFX R7780 DD 2GB Video Card
            Steve

Hey Brad, thanks for the feedback. The processor is an i5 3570K so it's definitely an Ivy Bridge. Maybe you are onto something though in that the 7870 is a PCI-e 3.0 card. Perhaps it's not being identified by the BIOS due to that. Still running with my 5870 installed and haven't tried the 7870 again since flashing to the v.60 BIOS. Maybe I will try it today.

I didn't mention in my original post that the board hangs on an Error 32, which I believe is supposed to indicate a memory error. 3 one second beeps. I've got 2x4GB Kington Hyper-X 1600 P&P which seems to auto configure to 1600MHz as promised and an X-Fi Ti Pro in a PCIe-x1 slot that has never failed to not be addressed by the BIOS.

Hopefully a BIOS flash can fix my problem because I think the board is good but I'd really like to use my PCIe 3.0 GPU and not have to go through the trouble of RMA'ing it. I wonder if anyone else out there is having a similar issue with a PCIe 3.0 GPU.

• 3. Re: DZ77RE-75K not recognizing a XFX R7780 DD 2GB Video Card
              Steve

Ok so not too sure what happened but I was mucking around with this again today after updating to v.60 and managed to get the R7870 DD 2 GB card working. I'll do my best to describe what happened.

Starting fresh with the onboard HDMI connected to a 1080p@60Hz panel I shut the computer down after setting the BIOS to defaults, i.e. video set to auto. I inserted the 5870 1GB card and rebooted and received an Error 32. I let the computer auto restart and received anothe Error 32 i.e. 2 x 3 one second beeps. On the next auto restart the computer addressed the 5870 and POSTed and the 5870 was functioning normally.

I powered down the computer and removed the 5870 and put the HDMI back onto the onboard and restarted only to receive an infinite looping restart on Error 32 until I activated the B2B button. On restart the OB HDMI was functioning again with a message of BIOS has detected unsuccessful POST attempts etc... and so I selected yes and rebooted and entered BIOS setup and reset to defaults. The computer then booted normally afterward on the OB HDMI.

I powered down the computer and inserted the 7870 with the HDMI connected to the GPU. No signal so rebooted with the HDMI on onboard and entered BIOS. The 7870 was not addressed under PCI slots. I powered off the computer and reslotted the 7870. This is where it gets a bit confusing. I recall letting the computer progress all the way to Windows log on screen at one point and seeing a 92 displayed and then on restart I saw a strange yellow flash. On reboot I entered the BIOS setup and switched to Classic Mode and set the default to PCIe Graphics. On reboot there was perhaps some more POST erroring but after letting it cycle automatically it did eventually boot with the 7870 active. The BIOS had reverted the Video to Auto.

I wish I had kept more detailed notes on this last bit but I was fully expecting it not to work and was about to give up on it again but then then lo and behold it worked. Maybe it has something to do with the 2GB of memory that the 7870 has that is causing the trouble. The components are all pretty new as well so perhaps full support for them has not been integrated into the BIOS yet.

At any rate... YAY! PCIe 3.0 x16 R7870 DD 2GB GPU is functioning. It still seems a bit stuttery, not nearly as much though as on my old motherboard, but perhaps with a future driver/chipset/BIOS update it will get sorted out.

I may do some more detailed experimentation with it in the future and will post the results back here if I do.

• 4. Re: DZ77RE-75K not recognizing a XFX R7780 DD 2GB Video Card
                Steve

I guess I spoke a little too soon. Got home today after powering the computer down while I was away and got the Error 32 loop and the whole game began again. Finally managed to get the 7870 working again, no idea how.

I pulled the battery and reset the 123 jumper and got a meassage that there was a CMOS checksum error. Anyone know if that's normal after a full reset? I remember seeing it once before while initially attempting to get the board to POST with the 7870 installed.

Would it be recommended to RMA this board for a replacement? I think my window to do so is quickly approaching. Gotta say though, running Vertex4 SSD's on the 3.0 ports and the 7870 on the PCIe 3.0 results in Ultra High in Skyrim and that's with the Hi-Res texture DLC.

I wish I wasn't having so many problems with the motherboard. It seems strange in this day & age.

• 5. Re: DZ77RE-75K not recognizing a XFX R7870 DD 1GHz 2GB Video Card
                  Steve

So, the drama continued. After getting the 7870 (1000/1200 MHz default clocks 2GB PCIe 3.0) to work last time (see above post) I put the computer to sleep for the night. On resume the next morning it made a horrendous sound like some kind of grinding noise (maybe it was the DVD burner though as it seems make a loud noise when booting anyway) and got the Error 32 that just looped forever.

I pulled the 7870 and went through the regular reset to get it to post properly with the onboard HDMI and reset the BIOS defaults and then slotted the 5870. When booting it up it cycled twice giving the BIOS Error 32 and on the third automatic restart the 5870 was recognized automatically and worked. No problems yesterday or today on the 5870 (850/1200 Mhz default clocks 1GB PCIe 2.0) and the wake up from Sleep seems to function normally. So it appears to me that the v.60 has at least solved the original problems with getting the 5870 to function more or less reliably.

It's kinda funny in a way because this whole thing i.e. buying a bunch of new components, started because the fan on the 5870 started moaning if you know what I mean, and the 7870 was super stuttery on my old Intel DQ Executive S775 800MHz SATA 2.0 board running an E8800 without down clocking it. A little bit of some teflon containing spray lube has somewhat alleviated the fan noise problem from the 5870 though. I'll keep hoping that the 7870 will be properly supported soon because the brief glimpses I saw when it was working seemed promising to me.

I wonder if anyone from Intel could tell me if this problem with the video card support is known and if a fix is in the works or if it is just a faulty board that I should maybe RMA.

• 6. Re: DZ77RE-75K not recognizing a XFX R7870 DD 1GHz 2GB Video Card
                    Steve

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY THIS MOTHERBOARD! for modern hardware unless you enjoy not computing and spending 2 hours a day trying to start your computer.

You have been warned.

• 7. Re: DZ77RE-75K not recognizing a XFX R7870 DD 1GHz 2GB Video Card
                      ytsai2937

Hi Steve, I believe I got similar problem as you. The board won't recognize my card in the primary PCIe slot. Do you manage to fix it? any solution? Thank you!

PC components:

Intel i7-3770K

DZ77RE-75K

Intel SSD hard drive 520

PowerColor 7870 Myst PCIe 3.0

850Watt PSU (should be enough)

Windows 7 Professional

My motherboard comes w/ two PCIe x16 slot and one of them is x8 electrical. When I first install it, I put my video card in the x8 electrical slot and it works ok except the graphic isn't that great. I soon figure out that I should use the primary slot which is not the x8 electrical. After switch the card into the right place, the monitor doesn't detect any signal. I tried to configure the BIOs and made the PCIe (PGE) boot first and disable the onboard video card (I tried a lot of setting). The card is still not working, so I think it might cause by faulture PCIe. Then I used my old PCIe 2.0 card onto the primary slot, it works. I re-boot several times and it works perfectly. I was wondering why this primary PCIe slot is not detecting my new card. Just one try, I delete the driver of my new card in hardware manager under Windows then put my new card back on. Magically it works... So I put every in place and close my case and ready to use it.... The nightmare comes again... The monitor now doesn't detect any signal... I go back and check the driver and it's not install. Now, I don't know what should I do? Does anyone has solution for this problem? Thank you...

• 8. Re: DZ77RE-75K not recognizing a XFX R7870 DD 1GHz 2GB Video Card
                        ytsai2937

Hi Steve, I believe I am facing the same problem as you. My board won’t detect my PCIe video card in the primary slot. Do you figure out the solution yet? If you could let me know how you fix it, it will be great. Thank you!

PC components:

Intel i7-3770K

DZ77RE-75K

Intel SSD hard drive 520

PowerColor 7870 Myst PCIe 3.0

850Watt PSU (should be enough)

Windows 7 Professional

My motherboard comes w/ two PCIe x16 slot and one of them is x8 electrical. When I first install it, I put my video card in the x8 electrical slot and it works ok except the graphic isn't that great. I soon figure out that I should use the primary slot which is not the x8 electrical. After switch the card into the right place, the monitor doesn't detect any signal. I tried to configure the BIOs and made the PCIe (PGE) boot first and disable the onboard video card (I tried a lot of setting). The card is still not working, so I think it might cause by fault PCIe. Then I used my old PCIe 2.0 card onto the primary slot, it works. I re-boot several times and it works perfectly. I was wondering why this primary PCIe slot is not detecting my new card. Just one try, I delete the driver of my new card in hardware manager under Windows then put my new card back on. Magically it works... So I put every in place and close my case and ready to use it.... The nightmare comes again... The monitor now doesn't detect any signal... I go back and check the driver and it's not install. Now, I don't know what should I do? Does anyone have solution for this problem? Thank you...

• 9. Re: DZ77RE-75K not recognizing a XFX R7870 DD 1GHz 2GB Video Card
                          Victor_Intel

Hello ytsai2937,

It seems like you are facing a compatibility problem, if you don't receive any display during boot, it means that the BIOS is not able to initialize the card or to recognize it.

Currently I recommend you to make sure that you are using the latest BIOS version and that your card has the latest firmware available.

Regards.