14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2013 7:14 AM by Brad

Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed

Tornadocore

Guys  have A weird problem I have  just upgrade from core 2 duo to core 2 quad 9550 for sure I had to flash the bios again with 572 for the fan to calm down but the temp shows upside down at the idu 0 up and 80 down its very weird cpu1.jpg

Can some body please tell me what is that and how can I solve

• 1. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
          Ziad Aghar

try to Uninstal the IDU & reinstall. Make sure you clean it up from the registry "Only if you know how".

See the settings & try ressetting the Thermal thershold.

Also download cortemp &

I guess the temps in the BIOS are showing correctly???

Also try reverting to an older version of the IDU, this might solve the problem

• 2. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
            Tornadocore

I already install it on fresh windows and its the same and by the way on the bios it start 60 then go down you know

It,s weird really

and which setting are you talking about , at the idu it dosen`t allow me to change the limit or any thing

• 3. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
              Ziad Aghar

have you tried to download the coretemp??

• 4. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
                Tornadocore

the problem is to make idu read it right and also at the bios its reversed

• 5. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
                  Tornadocore

ihave a question why ifeel like my pc case sometimes electrified

• 6. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
                    Ziad Aghar

If your case is not grounded & you are getting minor electricity when you touch the it then, you might have to ground it.

Make sure that it's properly grounded with a thin wire attached to the back of the case screws & attach the other end of the wire to some big metal part "Not aluminum".

• 7. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
                      spearson

Tornadocore,

The Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) in the processor expose readings that are relative to the temperature at the Thermal Control Circuit (TCC) Assertion Point (the point where the processor will begin throttling performance to . At the TCC Assertion Point, a reading of 0 (zero) is returned. At any temperature level below the TCC Assertion Point, a negative reading will be returned.

In later processors (the Core(TM) i3, i5, i7, for example), the actual temperature at the TCC Assertion Point is exposed by the processor and software/hardware can read this information and use it to convert the relative temperature readings into absolute temperature readings. In older processors, like the Q9550, however, this information is not exposed by the processor...

Since the TCC Assertion point temperature can vary from one individual processor to another, the BIOS and software like Intel(R) Desktop Utilities are unable to convert the relative readings into absolute form. Instead, we present the value not as a temperature but as a Thermal Margin. That is, we tell you how many degrees you are away from reaching the TCC Assertion Point. This is why the scale goes from -100 up to 0.

Some 3rd-party software will make an assumption - an estimate and nothing more - regarding what the processor's TCC Assertion Point temperature actually is and will use this assumption to convert the relative readings into absolute form. These values can be considered nothing but estimates. Since folks expect Intel software to present only accurate temperature readings, we chose to not expose (potentially inaccurate) estimates...

Bottom line, your BIOS and Intel(R) Desktop Utilities are working properly. If you absolutely want to see absolute readings for your older processor and don't mind them potentially being inaccurate, feel free to use any of the available 3rd-party software...

...Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
                        Tornadocore

Thank you so much for the explanation , I just want to know

Is my processor okay or somthing wrong with it ?

I had core 2 due e6550 before and it was reading temp correctly

And do you mean that my motherboard is not compatible with the q9550 temp sensor ?

is there any way to fix that?

• 9. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
                          Tornadocore

I just got a coolermaster 120mm fan with 3pin and I put it into the mobo 3pin socket and it just work erratically like its keep going on and off and also the leds on it

But when I put it in the 4 pin socken It worked I think at the full speed

Is there any way to fix the 3 pin socket behavior and does the 3pin socket control the speed?

• 10. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
                            spearson

You make it tough to answer without delving way too far into the details.... I will attempt to be succinct...

First of all, the statement: There's nothing wrong with your processor and there's nothing wrong with your motherboard...

The e6550 is an even older (relatively speaking) processor design that supported temperature monitoring via a thermal diode implemented in the processor silicon. The newer (relatively speaking) Q9550 processor does not include a thermal diode, however (it supports the query of DTS readings instead). From the standpoint of the DP35DP motherboard, support was included for handling processors with thermal diodes and processors with DTS. The unfortunate thing is that the Q9550 processor does not include a method for determining the TCC Assertion Point temperature and thus only relative temperature readings are possible. When we switched from diode-based thermal monitoring to DTS thermal monitoring, we should have simultaneously provided support for extracting the TCC Assertion Point temperature. Unfortunately, this support couldn't be delivered in the same time frame. At the end of the day, for DTS-based processors, Intel(R) Desktop Utilities will present the  Processor Thermal Margin value (as opposed to the Processor Temperature). With Margin values, the bigger the number the cooler your processor actually is...

The 4-pin CPU fan connector only provides fan speed control when a 4-wire fan is present. If you plug a 3-wire fan into this connector, you won't be able to control the speed of the fan; it will always run at its maximum speed. The 3-wire chassis fan connectors on the DP35DP do support fan speed control, but the circuit that implements this support is not the best. There are two methods that can be used to control the speed of 3-wire fans. One method is to vary the voltage that is sent to the fan and the other is to send power to the fan in variable-sized pulses. The DP35DP board utilized this latter approach. The unfortunate problem with this methodology is that fans that are outfitted with LEDs will flash along with the pulses. Your choices are to put up with it, cut off the LEDs or get a replacement fan without LEDs...

...Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
                              Tornadocore

The problem is not only the leds it,s the fan itself keep cutting off and make a sound like tik tik tik

it,s not continues spinning so do you think if I put condenser  on  it it will be stable

• 12. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
                                Tornadocore

The problem is not only the leds it,s the fan itself keep cutting off and make a sound like tik tik tik

it,s not continues spinning so do you think if I put condenser  on  it it will be stable

I s there a solution for this?

• 13. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
                                  spearson

Yes, this ticking is one of the  unfortunate side-affects of this fan control methodology. You can find fans that will operate quietly with this circuit, however. Unfortunately, we do not maintain a database regarding fan compatibility. An alternative is to utilize an external circuit that will smooth out the pulses and generate a clean voltage level. I am not an EE, however, so cannot suggest one myself (and I have no idea what you mean by "condenser"). Sorry I can't suggest anything better...

...S

• 14. Re: Dp35dp and q9550 thermal reversed
                                    Brad

spearson wrote:

I have no idea what you mean by "condenser"

A condenser is what capacitors used to be known as. There may be parts of the world which still use the term.  I've had noisy case and processor fans and totally understand how annoying they can be. Scythe made great case fans but for some reason they've gone out of business or just disappeared from the US market. I suspect it was a patent problem. I'm now using a Corsair 120mm case fan and it's whisper quiet.  I also have a Zalman fanmate control on one of my processor fans to turn down the speed of the fan.