2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2014 8:19 AM by Hunork RSS

i5-3570k temperatures between cores difference

donarkaz Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I've been an owner of an i5-3570k Ivy Bridge processor for a couple of days now.

I'm happy with its performance but I'm concerned about the temperatures between its cores.

Now my pc is idle and the temperature readings are (I'm using CPUID Hardware Monitor):

Core0: 21

Core1: 20

Core2: 16

Core3: 32

I would understand up to 7-8 max degrees difference between them but it just seems that 16(!) degrees of difference between cores is too much. Additionally, I have tried running various single-core benchmarks to check out the maximum Turbo Boost frequency of the CPU and it never exceeds 3700 Mhz (although Intel says it should reach 3800 mhz).

Under full load on all cores the temperature difference is similar - with core 3 being by far the hottest one. I'm using an aftermarket cooler Thermalright True Spirit 140 and I have tried reapplying thermal paste and resitting the cooler with same results. Full load temperatures are:

Core0: 42

Core1: 49

Core2: 46

Core3: 55

Since I'm planning to overclock the CPU I'm concerned about this 13 degrees C difference between the cores - together with the inability of the CPU to reach 3800 mhz.

Would I consider the specific CPU to be iffy? Shall I send it back for replacement to the retailer?

Thanks a lot,

donarkaz

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points