4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2012 5:33 PM by brazentiger

Graphics Error in STO Season 7

brazentiger

So Star Trek online has two servers.  Holodeck which is the live server and the one that players are on and a test server Tribble where they test the upcoming game updates.  So this past week they have been testing Season 7.  However a number of players myself included are having trouble with the drivers for our graphics cards crashing.  They do it repeatedly and eventually freeze up the entire computer, which means pulling the power and restarting.  There is a thread on their Tribble Bugs forum that is about this very topic "Graphics Error".  I contacted their support and got told that since I have a integrated graphics card that I was SOL.  It is a: Intel HD Graphics card by the way.  Running a Satellite L655.  Now my issue is that this game works fine on Holodeck, Absolutely no problem.  And as far as I can tell the graphics have not been updated that much.  There are bigger maps and more objects then they are on the older maps but that is about it.  I have been testing on a map that has very few active objects and the screen blanks out (drivers crashes) a number of times even with the graphics set low.  So I guess I am asking is if STO support is right and that me and the other players are SOL or is this something that STO can fix.  Having lots of good evidence to support that it is them on me would be really good.  This issue is really starting to annoy me and Season 7 is not that far from being released. 

• 1. Re: Graphics Error in STO Season 7
          allan_intel

Hi,

Star Trek has not been tested as playable game for your graphics controller. A this stage I recommend checking the list of playable games for graphics, and follow some troubleshooting steps available on the game troubleshooting guide:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031017.htm

And the guide here: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-010486.htm

Thanks

Allan.

• 2. Re: Graphics Error in STO Season 7
            brazentiger

I have been playing this game for the past year or so.  No trouble with it up until now.  And the trouble is directly related to Season 7.  So it is not a matter of it being not compatible.  At least not with the older content of the game. 

• 3. Re: Graphics Error in STO Season 7
              nic

Hi brazentiger,

I looked into the issue you're talking about; what I found was that just like you said, players are able to play the holodeck server just fine, and the issue only exists on tribble.  However, it does sound as if this is an issue specifically with the game itself, that is just effecting Intel® integrated graphics users.

Can you provide your system information please;

-What operating system are you using (also, 32 or 64 bit)?

-How much RAM do you have?

-What CPU are you using?  Also, driver version?

-Is STO both free-to-play and free-to-download/register?

Thank you,

-Nic

• 4. Re: Graphics Error in STO Season 7
                brazentiger

Humm, interesting I could have sworn that there were  a couple of others who had different cards experiencing this issue.  What I did discover today was that it is only the updated content that causes this problem.  The older stuff even on the test server does not produce this problem.  I have to play at a lower graphics quality but no driver crashes.  And I tested this by playing a rather graphic intense mission, while a less intense one that is new to the game rashes the driver.  Ok here is that info you asked for:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 11/5/2012, 17:01:26

Machine name: TIGGER

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA

System Model: Satellite L655

BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 2.80

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU        P6100  @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz Driver version: 6.1.7600.16385

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 2998MB RAM

Page File: 1412MB used, 4581MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

This is from a DxDiag log STO support asked for.  I only posted the info you asked for.

And for you last question yes it is free to play and free to register and download.  There is a credit (Zen) system in place if you feel the need to spend money on that game.  Also if you do join and want a Fleet look up "Battle Group Zulu".