Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Is it safe to UNDERclock FSB?

idata
Employee

A MoBo (non-Intel) specifications say 1066 FSB is supported and 1333 is 'supported' by overclocking.

Q9550 (Q9450) processor is on the list of supported CPU-s. Its rated FSB is 1333 MHz.

I have 1066 MHz RAM and I don't need 1333 FSB for the CPU. Since the 1333 MHz FSB in the motherboard needs the special care - as I understand the "O.C." - I don't need it even more.

I am wondering now if the Q9550 CPU is able to run correctly, I mean as RELIABLE as on rated FSB, on 1066 FSB.

Well, the specifications say that individual processor can work only at rated FSB frequency. This alone looks like an answer to my question. However, I am curious what risks underclocking FSB can pose.

I can put there the famous Q6600 but Q9450 seems to be more efficient and colder at the same frequency.

Should I assume that Intel takes no responsibility for reliability of processors run with FSB frequency lower than rated?

Does anyone have any experience with underclocking FSB?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

The operation of any Intel-manufactured product outside the published specifications for each part, such as overclocking and over clocking, can result in data corruption and unreliable system behavior. It will shorten the life of your product, void the warranty of your processor, your motherboard, and possibly other devices installed in the computer.

You are free to use your products as you wish, but there is no technical support available from Intel, or through our product support processes, to do so.

For information on the processor specification feel free referring to: http://ark.intel.com/products/33924/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q9550-12M-Cache-2_83-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB ARK | Intel&# 174; Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 (12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

The operation of any Intel-manufactured product outside the published specifications for each part, such as overclocking and over clocking, can result in data corruption and unreliable system behavior. It will shorten the life of your product, void the warranty of your processor, your motherboard, and possibly other devices installed in the computer.

You are free to use your products as you wish, but there is no technical support available from Intel, or through our product support processes, to do so.

For information on the processor specification feel free referring to: http://ark.intel.com/products/33924/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q9550-12M-Cache-2_83-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB ARK | Intel&# 174; Core™2 Quad Processor Q9550 (12M Cache, 2.83 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

0 Kudos