6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2012 9:20 AM by Jason

DZ77GA-70K Not Booting! PLEASE HELP!

javyc89

Hello!

First! This is my computer configuration:

Motherboard: Intel Desktop Motherboard LGA1155 DDR3 1600 ATX - BOXDZ77GA-70K

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155

Video: EVGA GeForce GTX680 SC SIGNATURE 2048 MB GDDR5

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series  AX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX850)

RAM: Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

Hard Disk: 7200rpm 500GB

OK. The computer was working perfectly!

On weekend, I turned ON the computer. Instantly heard a click, and it went OFF.

It is not showing anything on the monitor.

I opened the Case and checked this:

- The Power LED on the Motherboard is ON

- When I press the ON button, the fan on the back of the case starts running for less than 1 second and I hear the click and computer goes OFF.

- It is very strange and I don't know what to do. I am afraid my main board could be "dead"

- Also, I removed the fan from the processor, and the thermal paste is completely DRY. Could this be affecting that? I have been told that it could do, but that computer should be able to at least show something on the screen.

- I reseated the RAM, positioned on the other slots. Didn't work.

- Removed the nVIDIA card and it didn't work.

What can I do? Please help me!

• 1. Re: DZ77GA-70K Not Booting! PLEASE HELP!
          Jason

Remove the video card and all of the memory then attempt to boot the system. If there are no "missing memory" beeps (3 steady beeps) then you may have a bad power supply, test there.

If there are beeps, move on to testing with one memory stick installed (still no video card). You should get the beep code for missing video card now *On-off (1.0 second each) two times, then 2.5-second pause (off), entire pattern repeats (blink and pause) until the system is powered off.

So, this process should help to identify problems with PSU, RAM or GPU. When you noticed the thermal paste was dry on the CPU, did you replace it? Go ahead and do that now - also, look at the under side of the CPU for any dirt or marks indicating failed contact and look at the pins in the socket for anything obvious (dirt, bent pins).

Post back your findings.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DZ77GA-70K Not Booting! PLEASE HELP!
            javyc89

Hello Jason!

Thanks for your reply!

These are my findings!

-Removed the nVIDIA card.

- Tried to boot the computer. I saw a red lightcoming from the Mainboard, but I didn't know from exactly where. So I tried again.

Check this image.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dz77ga-70k/sb/img/dz77ga70k.jpg

On the QQ. When I turn on the computer, the second light from the QQ flashes RED, and it makes the click and turns off the computer. That second light says "HOT".

What could that be?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: DZ77GA-70K Not Booting! PLEASE HELP!
              Shaun

sounds like a dead CPU or something thinking the CPU temp is too hot. I would remove the CPU, check all the pins on the CPU socket, make sure none look bent, they're extremely fragile so don't touch them, just look. Next clean the CPU and heat sink of the old thermal paste, and apply new paste. To clean I use this:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

but rubbing alcohol will work, make sure you clean it spotless!

and apply new thermal paste, I use this:

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/thermal-compound/30/arctic-mx-4-4g-und-20g.html?c=2291

MAKE SURE TO USE THERMAL PASTE!

after that re-install the CPU and cooler, make sure to take your time and that the CPU is seated in the socket. to apply thermal paste you need a very small amount

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/134/images/cpu2.jpg

i just drop a small amount like in the pic, then put the cooler on, the pressure from the cooler will cause the paste to spread out nice and even, don't' spread the paste yourself! this will cause air bubbles and overheating.

After that plug the CPU fan into the CPU FAN header on the mobo, plug the mobo back in and power it up with only the CPU, and 1 stick of RAM installed.

If that still doesn't work, try a spare power supply, but most likely a dead CPU or mobo.

• 4. Re: DZ77GA-70K Not Booting! PLEASE HELP!
                Jason

Yeah, sounds like the heat sensor alright. Did you install the CPU to begin?

Did you get a chance to do this as stated before?

When you noticed the thermal paste was dry on the CPU, did you replace it? Go ahead and do that now - also, look at the under side of the CPU for any dirt or marks indicating failed contact and look at the pins in the socket for anything obvious (dirt, bent pins).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DZ77GA-70K Not Booting! PLEASE HELP!
                  javyc89

I didn't changeit because I noticed when issue started.

I just called to Intel and they told me that probably Mainboard is damaged, because the agent told me that even if the paste is dry, it should at least start booting up.

We also tried several things over the phone and it didn't work.

They are sending me a new one, and if doesn't work, they will send a new processor.

Great service from Intel and thank you guys for your help!

• 6. Re: DZ77GA-70K Not Booting! PLEASE HELP!
                    Jason

Good luck!