1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2014 1:59 PM by vslee RSS

WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade

The Smarti

Notebook: Asus UX31A

Adaptor: Belkin Screencast

Hi,

My Widi used to work perfectly on Windows 7. Since I have installed Windows 8, after having installed all the drivers for Win 8, i can't make my Widi working.

The Widi app show me my adaptor Belkin Screencast in the list but when I am triyng to connect it, I have the message "Unable to connect to distant display (My message is in french so the translation can be different... "Impossible de connecter à l'affichage distant").

I tried to re-install drivers of Wifi / HD graphics and the Widi software.... I verified the firewall..

Can you help me ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
          Nathalie@Intel

Thank you for your post.

The error message you describe is usually caused by security blocking the connection, try disabling the firewalls all together (the one from Windows* and if you have an additional one from your antivirus disable that one too, you might need to disable momentarily the antivirus too) if this works then you can re-enable the firewalls and just allow some services, see the link below:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/iwd/sb/CS-031061.htm

Something else that can cause this is if a portion of the Intel® PROset Wireless WiFi Software is corrupt. This can happen if the Windows* 8 install was an upgrade from Windows* 7. To repair this we would recommend uninstalling the current version (in control panel/ uninstall a program or programs and features) delete the Intel® PROSet wireless WiFi Software and the Intel® PROSet Bluetooth software if present, then install the Intel® PROSet again.

Before you uninstall, download the latest drivers from the link below:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3316&DwnldID=21999&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Advanced-N+6205&DownloadType=Software+Applications&lang=eng

you would download the wireless_15.5.6_e32.exe file if your Windows* 8 is 32 bit or the wireless_15.5.6_e64.exe of your Windows* 8 is 64 bit.

• 2. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
            The Smarti

Hi,

Thank you for your answer...

That's true, I am in the case of an upgrade of Windows (7 > 8).

I have disabled the firewall and the antivirus (Windows products, I don't have additional products for security).

I have uninstalled PROSet / Widi and re-install the last versions (PROSet first then Widi).

I have restarted the computer between each step.

I have still the same problem 'Unable to connect to display..."

I hope that there is another solution than the Refresh.

• 3. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
              jlammers

Hi,

I've had the exact same problem. Now I *almost* got it working. Try uninstalling everything that has to do with WiFi, Graphics and WiDi and download the drivers from: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download UX31A

I did that and the only problem I got left is my WiDi has no audio... Please keep track of what you did in what order, it might fix my problem too!

------------

Background of the problem:

After upgrading my ASUS UX32A to Windows 8 (from 7) WiDi (Intel Wireless Display) kept working for a brief moment. But after updating the Intel PROSet Wireless WiFi Software everything stopped working. Since I've spend days trying steps suggested on internet fora and finally got everything working, except the audio. So I've got a picture on my TV, but no sound.

I currently have installed:

- Intel PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth(R) Technology 2.6.1209.0268

- Intel WiDi 3.5.40.0

- Intel HD Grapgics Driver 9.17.10.2828

- Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software 15.05.4000.1515

- Realtek High Definition Audio Driver 6.0.1.6668

I have a Belkin Screencast device that is connected to my TV with a HDMI cable, but I've also tried the component out of the device (which is connected to my stereo). They both don't work. When I test the audio via the Intel WiDi setup, I do see the speakers in my windows audio control panel (see screenshot).

Do you have any suggestions for a solution?

• 4. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
                jlammers

- Update on my problem with the audio: it works just after connecting. But after about 10 seconds it stops working.

• 5. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
                  jlammers

- Update 2: after restarting my adapter and computer everything stopped working again. I suspect either of the two Intel PROSet/Wireless drivers.

• 6. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
                    The Smarti

Hi !

Thank you for your post, i'm not alone in the world !

I tried to uninstall everything (Audio, VGA, Wireless, Bluetooth, Widi).

I've installed again in the good order preconized by Intel:

-Wifi / Bluetooth

-Graphics / Audio

- Widi

But..... still have the same problem !

In your case, I understand that you succeed to connect at less one time so you could make the upgrade of your adaptor ? And before, you had exactlly my message "unable to connect....."  ?

• 7. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
                      jlammers

Hi!

Likewise!

In reaction to your questions:

• I have managed to update my Belkin adapter via Windows 8 at some point at the start. That was before I updated the WiFi driver on my notebook. After that it all broke down.
                      • I had - and now have again - exactly the same message: "unable to connect..."
                      • Yesterday I had a connection with my WiDi Adapter (with faulty sound), but after restarting the adapter and my computer (so, I didn't change/update anything) it stopped working again.
                      • I have now tried exactly the same as you described, but it doesn't work for me either.
                      • My WiDiApp now even stops responding after I try to shut it down.

@nathalie: please help us!

• 8. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
                        The Smarti

After these actions, I tried to install the drivers again as administrator...

But... it did not resolve my problem "unable to connect...."

I've observed that after lots of minutes of inactivity, my adapter was in "sleep mode" so the blue window on my TV "Ready for connection....." was not in full screen but in a mini window moving all around my TV screen. And when I made a research for adaptor from WiDi app, the mini screen became in full screen.... So my adaptor react to the connection try !

Do you think a "Refresh" of Windows 8 (the new feature in control panel) can resolve our problem ? Do you want to try ? ^^

• 9. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
                          jlammers

My adapter also reacts to connecting, that is not the problem. I even see 'connecting' on my TV. It's just that it doesn't actually really connect after that.

I've been in contact with ASUS. They suggested updating the driver. Intel also responded to my other thread: http://communities.intel.com/message/170962#170962 so I updated to the latest versions of everyting. Don't get excited: it didn't work.

I'm now:

1. Wireless 15.5.6_e64.zip from Download Center
                          2. Graphics Driver: 15.28.7.64.2867 from Download Center
                          3. Intel WiDi: 3.5.40.0 from Download Center

I see http://communities.intel.com/thread/32538?wapkw=intel+widi+3.5.40 is also going nowhere. I've also contacted Belkin. Hope they have a solution.

• 10. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
                            Alexander Cugler

Hi!

I had the same problem coming from win7 to win8. What I found is that my adapter works fine if I never connect to a wifi when trying to use widi. If I try to connect to my widi-adapter when connected to wifi the widi adapter (found and trying to connect) never will connect. It's sometimes not enough to just disconnect from my wifi network and try again since it will not always work then either. The only sure way is to reboot, not be connected to wifi, and then connecting to widi. It works flawlessly then, but if I connect to wifi when widi is active the widi connection fails again.

I don't know it we are having the same problems but you could try this and see if it's the same for you. Anyone know a solution for this?

• 11. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
                              jlammers

I just gave it a try, but it didn't work for me. I did the following steps (see if you do the same):

1. Disconnect from network via the 'networks' panel in Win8
                              2. Start Intel WiDi, try connecting to my adapter. It says: unable to connect...
                              3. Restart my PC, there is no WiFi connection active
                              4. Start Intel WiDi, try connecting to my adapter. It says: unable to connect...
                              • 12. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
                                Alexander Cugler

Yes that usually works for me. To bad it didn't work for you. For me widi is useless without internet since it's internet depending services I use to beam to my tv and projector at work. I hope someone will come up with a solution to our problems reported here.

ps. Just to be sure you can always restart the adapter when restarting the pc just to rule out that the wifi has done something with the recieving end. Just a thought... ds.

• 13. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
                                  jlammers

Thanks Alexander,

To me it's useless too without internet, so I've stopped trying to make it work that way.

Update: I just received the lamest of response from something called Belking 'Support':

Thank you for contacting Belkin Technical Support.

Based on our understanding of your concern, your Belkin Screencast is not working after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Please be informed that the Belkin ScreenCast TV adapter should be within the line-on-sight of wherever you plan to use your WiDi laptop as this will help ensure that your TV receives the best possible signal. Also, the Belkin ScreenCast TV adapter will be most effective within 30 feet from your laptop. Thus, please avoid interference such as cordless phones, microwave ovens and thick walls.

If the above information do not solve the issue, please get in touch with the manufacturer of your operating system as it may not be compatible with the Belkin ScreenCast because Windows 8 platform is not the same with the old Windows platforms.

If you require further assistance, please contact us again by clicking on “Please click here to review or respond to this incident” found at the top of this e-mail. Please feel free to view our Knowledge Base at http://www.belkin.com/uk/support.

I just hope they are kidding.

Please feel free to contact them as well with this problem. They might get the urgency after a few reports: Belkin : Support Create a New Account

• 14. Re: WiDi doesn't work on my Asus UX31A since Windows 8 upgrade
                                    francois

Hi there!

One more guy with the same concern

I get an ASUS UX32VD coreI5 with WiDi technology with Windows7 and WiDi works with a DLNA compatible TV (with the latency problem. Then I update few days ago to W8 with some difficulties (re-installation of the collection of intel and asus srivers and utilities) and after, bought a BELKIN Screencast adapter.

My current status is the same. WDi is still working when sent to DLNA,

Now, with Adapter BELKIN plugged with HDMI: it is recognized when i lauch  WiDi appli but get the same error message "unable to connect...". deactivate Firewall (the core MS one, no other) did nothing.

So now, i have deinstalled all "Intel WiFi" related software, newly installed WiDi v3.5.40 from ASUS site.

At the moment, i got an error message from WiDi app " Impossible to launch Intel(R) My WiFi.

So now, i will reinstall the Intel ProSet from ASUS site and will come back if any change...

1 2 3 Previous Next