2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 9:52 PM by splautz

DZ77RE-75K HDMI issues

splautz

I noticed a few oddities when plugging my DZ77RE-75K board through a straight HDMI cable to an HDMI port in my monitor:

1) The text and graphics during POST bled off the screen to the left and right.  Even changing the p.size (aspect ratio settings) of my monitor could not obtain the missing parts of the screen.  However once going into BIOS or Windows, it all worked fine.

2) HDMI audio worked, but it was only stereo, not 5.1 channel Dolby Digital Live.  My XBOX 360 has no problem routing 5.1 Dolby through this very same monitor.   I also could not find a way to activate DDL within the HDMI audio driver.  I guess the audio going through HDMI does not use the Realtek chip and hence cannot benefit from DDL?   I wish it could as this would save me from having to use an additional cable.

3) Unlike when I used DVI with my old computer on this monitor, using HDMI prevented the monitor from going into sleep mode when video blacked out.  I more credit this as being a monitor input limitation than a problem with the DZ77RE-75K.   I guess they assumed computers would always be plugged in the DVI port and cable boxes and other video devices such as my XBOX would go into the HDMI ports (which don't usually go to sleep).

Given the above and that HDMI didn't appear to support DDL anyway, I decided to order an HDMI => DVI cable and route sound out separately through a toslink cable.  After installing that into the now unused DVI monitor port, the monitor went into sleep mode just fine and the text/graphics during POST displayed just fine as well.   I'm not sure what the issue was with the video during POST using the HDMI port with the straight through HDMI=>HDMI cable, but it's something Intel perhaps might went to address in a future bios release if possible.

I'm using the Samsung SyncMaster T260HD as my monitor.

• 1. Re: DZ77RE-75K HDMI issues
          rikka

There's no realtime DTS/DD encoding in 99% of on-board solutions available (hey, it's the same with PCI/PCIe cards unless stated otherwise in the card's specifications — see ASUS Xonar family for example). It's impossible to get 5.1 over HDMI or S/PDIF if it was not pre-encoded (it's called “DTS pass-through”). So you will get 5.1 over HDMI for bluray and such, but for regular audio, no dice.

• 2. Re: DZ77RE-75K HDMI issues
            splautz

No.. this DZ77RE-75K specifically stated that it supported Dolby Digital Live, and this is one of the many reasons why I chose it, although now I can't find where I read it at (maybe they took it down? lol)  Either way, it doesn't matter as I confirmed it does indeed support Dolby Digital Live, but only through the S/PDIF outputs (both rear and on-board), not HDMI and probably not Thunderbolt either (although I've not tested that).  It appears to be a Realtek thing and associated with their drivers.  It's activated in the driver configuration and I'm using it now actually.  5.1 audio, one cable!  Only thing I don't like about DDL is that my receiver is pretty old and there's usually a millisecond delay before it can sense and start decoding encoded DDL sound.  This presents no problem in games, or listening to music.  But it is kind of any annoyance with Windows sounds, which are actually just short audio clips, not constant sound, so they come through abbreviated.   So I normally don't activate DDL on my receiver unless I really need it, ie for a game, which makes it respond much faster for some reason.

One other thing I noticed with HDMI audio as compared with DDL audio through S/PDIF.  Unlike DDL, HDMI audio doesn't get abbreviated.  After some investigation, I realized this was because HDMI audio is really a constant stream of sound even during silence.  I could even hear a faint constant static in my speakers when it was suppose to be quiet, i.e. I wasn't doing anything in Windows and nothing was running.   The Realtek audio doesn't do this, it stops the audio stream whenever there is silence, hence making my speakers totally quiet.   So there are pluses and negatives doing it either way..  kind of makes me want to just use the old fashioned 3 stereo cable approach again, and I'd do that, but my OLD receiver only supports up to 4 speakers using that method (no center, subwoofer input, except through DD/DTS fiber or coax)