0 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 10:38 AM by Fuego

Hot unplug SATA HDD ?

Fuego

The Seagate Support says:

This drive does have the capability to hot swap, but the drive isn't what controls the hot swap. The computer is what controls hot swap. You would need to contact the manufacturer of the computer to see how to setup your computer to support hot swap.

So I'll ask here

Has:

Motherboard - ASUS P8H67, chipset iH67

2 x SATA 6Gb/s

4 x SATA 3Gb/s

Hard Drives:

1) Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (ST380013AS) - basic, inside the comp

2) Seagate Barracuda ES (ST3400620NS) - basic, inside the comp

3) Seagate Constellation ES.2 (ST32000645NS) - questions on it!

OS - Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1

Drivers:

Intel Chipset Device Software Version: 9.2.0.1030

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Version: 10.6.0.1022

What I need:

I bought a Seagate Constellation ES.2 (ST32000645NS) for use as an archival storage outside the computer. I want use it in the manner of flash drive - plug, write, unplug.

I plug it via eSATA-bracket that connects to the internal SATA-ports on the motherboard (where all my internal drives connected to).

The problem is that when I connect it, the OS icon for safe disconnection does not appear in the lower-right corner.

I tried to connect to the SATA 6Gb/s and the SATA 3Gb/s ports, but that did not help.

The drive's manual says that the drive supports Hotplug operation per Serial ATA Revision 2.6 specification.

In the BIOS, SATA mode set to AHCI and Hot plug enabled on all ports (sets for each individually).

questions:

1) Can anything be done, without use of third-party programs, that OS icon for safe disconnection appears when drive hot plugged and then I can safe shutdown the drive?

2) If the first option is not possible, is it correct (harmless to drive and data) the following sequence of shutdown the drive:

- Go to the Disk Management (in RMB on My Computer / Manage), make the disk Offline (then  it disappears in Explorer);

- Go to Device Manager and disable it there;

- physically disconnect drive from the computer.