12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 2:30 PM by macerdas

DZ77RE-75K cannot access BIOS setup

macerdas

Hi team,

I just finished building my system and I simply cannot access the BIOS on a DZ77RE-75K motherboard.

I turn on the system, the POST goes OK, the screen shows me a section of the i7 logo and the blue skull, and gives me the options for F2-BIOS Setup, F7-BIOS update and F10-BOOT Menu.

Upon pressing F2, the screen flashes very, very fast saying that it is entering BIOS Setup. However, after that happens, it reboots the system, and it goes back to the F-key options. This keeps happening if I press the F2 key.

Intel tech support helped me do a CMOS Clear up (~30 minutes without the battery). Retried, system booted up, messaged that time was not set. Still could not get into BIOS.

We then did a BIOS recovery, updating the BIOS to GA0053.bio. Retried, nothing.

Same thing keeps happening: I turn it on, system boots to POST, hit F2, reboots.

If I don't hit the F2 key, it begins "initializing and establhing link." However, since I just built this system, there is no OS installed. I get a "PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable" and "PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent" messages. And prompts me to "reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device."

My system:

CPU - Intel i7-3770K

MB - Intel DZ77RE-75K

SSD - Intel 520 - 180GB

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)

GPU - NVIDIA GTX 560

PSU - Thermaltake 500W

Cooler Master 310 Case

Thanks for all your help - I am at my wit's ends.

• 1. Re: DZ77RE-75K cannot access BIOS setup
          macerdas

Tested the PC with another monitor (widescreen) and an HDTV via DVI and HDMI ports and was able to access the BIOS setup.

However, this can't be done on my regular, old 4:3 aspect ratio monitor, via adapter (DVI to VGA).

Not sure the widescreen display is a video requirement of the Chipset/BIOS (the BIOS is displayed on a widescreen aspect ratio) or a bad video cable. The documentation for the DZ77RE-75k does not mention anything.

Any ideas, folks?

• 2. Re: DZ77RE-75K cannot access BIOS setup
            three6zerocool

HI Mario, I am also building a system based on same motherboard.

Are you using the embedded HD Graphics HDMI port on the mobo, or are you using the NVidia card in a PCI-e 16x slot?.

I had similar issues, and at first could not access BIOS using onboard HDMI, as was going thru an AV Reciever, to my Widescreen TV. When connected direct to my TV, it worked.

When you access BIOS, make sure to 'load default settings', and then go into boot options, and move the network boot devices to bottom of list, as that is what the establishing link message is, as it is trying to boot from NIC.

I think the Graphics HD drivers are pretty flakey, so you might want to use your discrete NVidia card until they fix their drivers.  There is a new graphics test driver, but have not tried it yet.

This board also has PCI-e 1x problems, so if you have identical PCI-e 1x cards like I do, then you will probably discover that. It is a firmware issue, where 1x cards are not always recognised, or are then disappear, causing BSOD.

Intel are working on BIOS fix, but no news so far.  I am on my second 75k mobo, but same issue, so it appears to be firmware.

• 3. Re: DZ77RE-75K cannot access BIOS setup
              three6zerocool

Unless miracles occur quite soon, I think I shall be returning my Intel DZ77RE-75K, along with a message like 'shove this up your________'

Running cardless, it seems to work OK, but get odd crashes, but with PCI-E 1x cards installed, I get about 50 crashes a day. ( not kidding )

This piece of junk is diabolical.

I can put my original 6x series Intel Extreme mobo back in,  with Identical components, tuner cards, CPU, software, PSU, memory etc, and it works like 'bullet proof'.

In fact the difference is so marked, it is biblical.

I repeat, unless a miracle occurs from Intel,   I suggest you return your mobo, and 'run'.

While typing this message, my DZ77RE-75K must have crashed at least several times.

My hopes of Intel resolving this are not very high, tho I hope they do.

If you want a really good Intel mobo, check out the DP67BG, it works wonderfully without all the Z77 weirdness.

..Dean..

• 4. Re: DZ77RE-75K cannot access BIOS setup
                macerdas

Hi three6zerocool,

I am using an nVidia card on the PCI-e 16x slot. The error occurs with either it or the HD graphics on the mobo.

We tested the PC on several monitors and an HDTV - it came down to some weir issue with the original monitor. It's an 10-year old Dell monitor, 4:3 aspect ratio. I suspect that since that the BIOS display will be cutoff at the sides, it reverts to reboot.

I troubleshooted it 2 or 3 times with Intel's support, they thought it was the mobo. However, after my testing on additional monitors, it was obvious that it was not. I checked later with tech support, and they pointed that this was a monitor related issues.

My mobo and i7 rig is running fine so far CPU on a high load will not go over 77ºC !

I'm sorry to hear that your mobo is giving you so much problems with the GPU. Which card are you using?

• 5. Re: DZ77RE-75K cannot access BIOS setup
                  three6zerocool

BiOS will talk to your monitor using DDC, to determine optimum display setting, and it might be for example VGA, or 720p, or whatever.

Sometimes on older monitors, you need to disconnect the DDC comms pin, and then this forces the display to be recognized as VESA display.

MY issue is more related to having more than one identical PCI-e 1x card, and using embedded graphics.

Pretty sure your mobo would have same issue, but you probably don't have identical 1x cards.

IS rather hard to not have a Mediacenter PC without 1x cards, as most Tuner cards are.

Glad your system is running sweet. This 2nd mobo they sent is much worse than original.

Murphy's  law... 3rd time lucky for me perhaps?

• 6. Re: DZ77RE-75K cannot access BIOS setup
                    macerdas

Hmmmm. DDC comms pin? First time I hear about it. Do you know where it might be located?

Maybe Murphy's law will do! Have you searched in other forums?

• 7. Re: DZ77RE-75K cannot access BIOS setup
                      three6zerocool

Yes,  DDC is a comunications protocol that allows the computers BIOS to talk to a monitor.

Depending on the version of DDC that a monitor supports, there are 3 reserved pins that allow this communication.

The monitor has whats called an EDID eeprom, which contains information about the monitor, such as timings for video frequencies.  What can happen is that the information contained in the EDID is not always correct, so a monitor can say 'oh I support this video mode, hit me',  but then turns out it can't, so the BIOS don't know what to do, so it just resets and tries again.

It could be that your older monitor is being driven at a frequency it does not support. (at BIOS level at least)

By disabling DDC support, or by grounding a pin or so,  you can force the computer to see the monitor as a VESA display, which strictly adheres to very specific video modes, which any VESA compliant display should accept.

Some people snap off certain pins, but another way is to use a gender changer/adapter, and just disable or ground the appropriate pins.

Not sure why my DZ77RE-75K is so flakey,  but suspect it is purely PCI-e related, and have been talking with Intel and reporting my experiences.

As I mentioned,  the issues I have are with using peripheral 1x cards such as TV Tuners, and they don't get recognised by BIOS, and then sometime later 'they do'  and it's rather like plugging in a card into a slot with the machine on....  It does not like that 'at all'   and results in instant Blue Screen of Death.

I see Intel have just released new BIOS, which addresses my exact issue,  so hopefully might not be a third time lucky for me, and my 2nd mobo may work right afteral.

My system is very similar to yours, except I have the Sandy Bridge 2700k processor, instead of your 3700k.

Perhaps that is the difference maker in the stability stakes, as your processor supports 'wider pipes' than mine.

Not looking forward to rebuilding my machine 'again'  (grin),  but guess a working system is better than returning the mobo thru Intel's warranty procedure, which drives ya freakin insane.

You would think they would just tell my supplier to 'give me another one',  but nah,  have to send it packing to another country.  This particuilar model mobo has more frequent flyer miles than I do.

Supposing my issues are resolved,  Intel only need to fix their awful Graphics HD Drivers to support Full range 0-255 video levels, and XV Color properly,  and this mobo would be half decent.

However, seeing that the issue has been present for last 3 years, the odds of that happening aint too good.

Will let you how I get on.

..Dean..

• 8. Re: DZ77RE-75K cannot access BIOS setup
                        macerdas

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the tip. not sure if I want to go through the process of disabling the DDC pin - just a quick hook up to my HDTV whenever I need to enter the BIOS (which is very rarely!) will do the trick. Not a big fan of overclocking...

Thanks for the heads up on the BIOS update. Might work (or not) for me. I'll give it a try tonight.

Hope this release solves all your issues. Fingers crossed!

BTW - How hot does your i7 run? Mine was running at ~92ºC on a full load (55ºC idle), fans not going beyond 1050 RPMs. Wrestled with fan settings (minimums), with no luck.

After a while (and not very happy at myself for not checking this earlier) I found the "Cooling profiles" on the basic setup, and move the slider from "Balanced" to "Cool". Now runs at an average of 77ºC on a full load (47ºC idle).

Just have one inlet additional fan on front. Not sure if an auxiliary one on the side (should it be inlet our outlet?) will significantly improve the temps.

And oh yes, I'm using the CPU stock cooler.

Cheers,

Mario

• 9. Re: DZ77RE-75K cannot access BIOS setup
                          three6zerocool

HI Mario,  the latest BIOS has fixed my issues with my PCI-e 1x cards.

So that is good news.

However, am still getting consistent BSOD errors when using 120GB Intel 520 series SSD.

As a test, I replaced with an Intel 80GB 320 series SSD, and have no BSOD errors thus far.

So, looks like I have found my core issue.

Are you running your rig with the Rapid Start drivers and partition?

Regarding your monitor and accessing BIOS. I have to report the same problem now that I have 3770K CPU, so must be an IvyBridge issue maybe.

Temperature wise, my system seems to stay about 54 Celsius most of the time, and around 600 rpm fan speed.

I am using a very large stacked CPU cooler with heat pipe technology, and it far exceeds the stock cooler, but as this is an HTPC, maybe I am not pushing my rig as hard as yours, but mine sure isn't getting at all hot.

Now I just need to get my 520 SSD to stop Blue Screening my rig.

..Dean..

• 10. Re: DZ77RE-75K cannot access BIOS setup
                            macerdas

Hi Dean,

I'm very very happy you were able to get rid of the Vcard issues with the new BIOS. However, it didn't do the trick for me ... Yes, probably an Ivy Bridge issue, but I am inclined to think it is a MB issue. Let's see if another BIOS update addressing this issue comes along.

I have a 180GB SSD 520 Series. No problems so far... and nope, I did not install the Rapid start drivers for it... my bad. Should I? It runs fine and blazingly fast - Boots Win 7 Home Premium in ~10 secs.

Temp - Thanks for the info. After applying a decent thermal paste, my rig now runs ~47 - 52 Celsius idle / 77 - 82 when heavy gaming. All with the stock cooler.

Mario

• 11. Re: DZ77RE-75K cannot access BIOS setup
                              three6zerocool

>I'm very very happy you were able to get rid of the Vcard issues with the new BIOS. However, it didn't do the trick for me ... Yes, probably an Ivy >Bridge issue, but I am inclined to think it is a MB issue. Let's see if another BIOS update addressing this issue comes along.

As my machine is an HTPC, the original plan was to use the embedded CPU HD Graphics, but I could not get the full range video levels to stick.

However the new November Graphics Drivers seem to have cured that issue, so I have pulled my NVidia card, and am using the onboard graphics.

I have also tried video over the Thunderbolt port, and can not tell the quality difference between the HDMI port and the ThunderboltHDMI adapter I am using.

However, like your issue, I can not access the BIOS either, and it goes into a boot loop.

It seems to be trying out all the supported modes reported by the connected monitor, hence the repeated reboots, and it eventually does get there, but takes many reboots.

I discovered that the BIOS seems to get confused when 2 monitors are connected, and when I disconnect the second monitor ( on the thunderbolt), then it works first pop, and I can access BIOS config.

I think  what it needs is the ability to disable the visual BIOS, and boot permanently in standard text mode.

Seemingly you can change to text mode on main screen, but it does not save that setting.

>I have a 180GB SSD 520 Series. No problems so far... and nope, I did not install the Rapid start drivers for it... my bad. Should I? It runs fine and >blazingly fast - Boots Win 7 Home Premium in ~10 secs.

Well, my stabilty issue and problem with BSOD's turned out to be my 520 series 120GB SSD.

Sheesh, it made my rig go completely mental.

If your not using RAID, then you can just use the default AHCI mode, which uses Microsoft driver built into Windows.

Enabling RAID in BIOS, and then installing the Rapid Storage Driver, then uses Intel driver.

If your only using one drive, you can still configure as RAID mode, and it uses what is called JBOD mode. ( Just a bunch of disks), and treats them as seperate drives, but you are using Intel storage driver instead.

Whether this is a good thing, I am not quite sure, but theory is that if your also using the Intel Rapid Start hybrid power modes, I am guessing using the Intel drivers is better?.  Considering that the latest Rapid Storage driver does not even allow access to the main RAID UI configuration utility, I am thinking that as a gaming rig, you have made the correct choice by staying with AHCI native drivers Mario.

(don't fix what aint broken). ( unlike me... heh heh heh)

>Temp - Thanks for the info. After applying a decent thermal paste, my rig now runs ~47 - 52 Celsius idle / 77 - 82 when heavy gaming. All with the stock >cooler.

..Dean..

• 12. Re: DZ77RE-75K cannot access BIOS setup
                                macerdas

Hey Dean,

Finally solved all my gripes. Used the latest bios update (Version 0061 - Dec 28, 2012) - and can now access the bios on my old CRT monitor. The boot graphic changed - not the skull, just a grey square in the middle of the screen with the Intel extreme MB series logo.

Hope you were able to solve your issues!

Mario