Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Can't remote control after system standby

idata
Employee

I have been working on trying to get our Lenovo workstations to come out of standby and be able to remote into them since we started purchasing machines with vPro technology. We have bought three different models of Lenov (8807, 9071, and 6136) and still cannot get the issue resolved. I can bring the PC out of standby--I can hear the hard drive spin up and the light goes from blinking to solid but the monitor will not come up (the light on the monitor stays amber, does not turn green) unless there is some movement from the attached mouse or keyboard. While in this state I can deploy software to the PC but if I need to remote in and verify anything or check on errors I would need to reboot the machine in order to view it. I have worked with both LANDesk (we currently run 8.7 sp5 but have tested with 8.8 sp2a) and Lenovo and have not gotten this issue resolved. Any ideas on what I can do to get the monitor to come up?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hi cShell, the issue you describe is actually a feature for preventing interference while a remote console wakes up and pushes a patch. The feature you have is a power saver feature built into Intel video chipset's. Imagine having Hundreds or thousands of systems that need a patch. While it is necessary to power up the main box to allow for the push to occur (typically after hours when most people are at home) the need for hundreds or thousands of monitors is NOT needed. Any time you remotely bring a system out of standby the monitor will remain off. There is a second feature to your platform also, while you are remotely pushing an update you also do NOT want some one trying interact on the desktop until after you complete the update, Lenovo has designed a lock out of the keyboard so you cannot interact with the system while it is under remote control. This ensures that the majority of systems will successfully wake up, receive the update then go back to sleep or shut down. there is no work around - as long as the system is under remote management your local keyboard and mouse will not work. Some other vendors allow remote keyboard interaction, a BIOS update would be needed to change this behavior

As a side note the lack of monitor is a separate feature - if you have a timer for suspend and automatically wake up all you need to do is move the mouse or keyboard and the monitor will wake up. This has been a feature of Intel graphics for the past ten years.

0 Kudos