Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20601 Discussions

Getting computer to recognize a widescreen monitor

idata
Employee

I'm having an issue with my computer recognizing my widescreen monitor. This is NOT a new purchase, I've had this monitor for over a year now, and it's worked fine. Last night, however, the computer had some issues so I restarted it and upon restart, it wasn't recognizing the widescreen monitor anymore. It had the monitor listed as "defaul" and none of the resolution settings were the one I needed (1600x900). I tried going back to the previous day on a system restore, but it didn't change anything. I don't think a virus did it because that computer cannot connect to the internet, and so for a similar reason, I can't just connect and check on the drivers or run other troubleshooting.

I am running Windows XP with an Intel(R) 828656 Graphics Controller v. 6.14.10.3762. I recognize that it's a bit older, but is there an updated driver that might have been damaged in the restart that I can redownload? I work with graphics a lot, and I'm having difficulty now since all of the images are warped.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Can you tell me a little bit about your system? Is it a branded PC like Dell or did you build it yourself? Can you give me the model number or the motherboard product name?

Also, it may not be important, but what sort of issues did you experience which led to this problem?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for replying!

It was a Dell PC, Dimension 2000, though a few parts have been replaced on it over the years. Model number I think is 55277-OEM-0011903-00102.

Before I restarted, the computer was moving slowly and freezing up a bit. I'd had it on a while with a lot of art programs, and I'm used to this happening, so I didn't think anything of it at the time and I can't really remember any specifics beyond that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can find Dell drivers http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/ProductSelector/Select/FamilySelection?CategoryPath=all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops&Family=Dimension&DisplayCrumbs=Product%2BType%40%2CDesktops%40%2CDimension&rquery=fkey-e-Drivers_PS here, there are a few Dimension 2000 choices so I can't link anything closer to your model, but that would be where you should start. Grab what ever drivers you need from there and see what that will do for you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Try this driver and see if it helps. It's for your graphics controller version and XP.

Download Center

If that link doesn't work, go here and select "Downloads and Drivers" from the left tab. Select the XP v14.16 driver.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/graphics/intel865g Support for the Intel® 82865G Graphics and Memory Controller Hub (GMCH)

Have you tried this widescreen monitor on another machine to see if it still works? Likewise, have you tried a different monitor on the problem system?

The first link is acting funny for me, may/may not work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just saw this post that got in before my reply, I would not install Intel drivers unless - and this is a very shaky unless - unless there are no drivers on the Dell site. There is no way to be sure that Dell hasn't changed the hardware in some subtle way.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hah! It was actually a Dimension 3000 when I doublechecked, so that made it a bit easier.

It worked! Thank you so much for your help, you're a lifesaver! I didn't know which drivers to try! Thanks!

Thanks to lorechief too for the help! I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos