Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Intel Modular server Storage Pool won't let go of Hot Spare

SBerg6
Novice

We have an Intel Modular server chassis with 4 blades. I have a storage pool (storage pool 1) of disks 1,2,3 and hot-spare at disk 14. Disk 1 failed and the hotspare picked was picked up and rebuilt the storage pool. (as it should have)

But after I replaced the failed drive and rebuilt it, Storage Pool 1 refuses to let go of the hot-spare and sees it as part of the storage pool.

Any idea how to get drive 14 out of storage pool1 so I can convert it back to a hot spare?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

When you select drive 14 in the GUI, what options does it give you on the right-hand side? What options does drive 1 give you?

0 Kudos
SBerg6
Novice

Thanks for the reply, Dan_O...

Drive 14 Actions (this should be my hot spare):

Identify Drive

Force Offline

Create Storage Pools

Drive 1 actions:

Same as above

When I Click the Storage pool, I have these actions available:

Rename

Delete

Identify

Create Virtual Drive

Prepare for Transport

Expand

Defragment

Create Storage Pool

If I click "Delete", it warns my virtual drives will be lost. As this is a production blade center, I cannot have these destroyed. I simply need to get drive 14 out of this storage pool so I can re-assign it as a hot spare.

0 Kudos
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

Weird. So, when you put a replacement Drive 1 in, I would have expected the new Drive 1 to become the Hot Spare. The RAID should have been happy on drives 2, 3, and 14.

But you say the options for Drive 1 are the same, which makes it seem like there isn't any hot spare. If you check Drives 2 and 3, do either of them have any action like "Make Hot Spare"? Or are all four drives somehow migrated into a four-drive array?

The only other thing I can think of, is to get the diagnostic summary and contact support. They can look through the history and find out what happened, and what the current state is.

0 Kudos
SBerg6
Novice

Correct. My thoughts exactly. The Storage Pool simply added drive 14 when Drive 1 failed and after I inserted the new Drive into Drive 1, it rebuilt the storage pool with drives 1,2,3, and 14. All other drives are assigned to storage pools and have the same options.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The expect behavior is that when you replace Drive 1, the array should be rebuilt back to Drive 1, and once it's completed Drive 14 will be hot spare again. What's the status of your storage pool now? What's its capacity?

0 Kudos