1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 15, 2012 9:41 PM by JFFulcrum

PCIe Gen 3 card in PCIe Gen 2 motherboard

Kanthan

I have a WX58BP Intel motherboard which has two PCIe 2.0 x16 slots, and I already have a nVidia EVGA GTX 465 card.

Now since my 3D software is asking for more, I want to add another graphics card.

I am looking for options like nVidia ASUS GTX 570 or GTX 680, because I want to make use of the SLI bridge connector.

1. GTX 680 is a PCIe 3.0 card and heard this is backward compatible with PCIe 2.0 slot in my motherboard. Is this true?

2. If yes, I will chose GTX 680, but can I still use the SLI connector to connect this with my older GTX 465 card?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: PCIe Gen 3 card in PCIe Gen 2 motherboard
          JFFulcrum

1. Yes, Gen3 cards backward compatible with Gen2 boards, excluding individual incompatibilities between exact models (right now nothing of such known about NVIDIA GTX600 series)

2. No, SLI connector useful only for joining of same models of videocard, i.e. GTX680+GTX680, GTX650+GTX650 and so on. There are third-party patches for NVIDIA driver to remove this restriction, and also  software like Lucid to join different cards on application layer, but they are not errors-free. You also can delegate old GTX 465 board for CUDA/PhysX calculations, leaving new card for 3D.