6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2012 5:58 PM by Horaxon

DQ77KB - Dual Gigabit LAN?

icetea

Why does the DQ77KB give you Dual Gigabit LAN sockets without supplying Server OS drivers?

Thanks

• 1. Re: DQ77KB - Dual Gigabit LAN?
          Dan_Intel

Hello icetea,

We would like to inform you that based on the fact that none of our Intel(R) motherboards are designed to support server OS's, there are no drivers available for this particular Operating System in our website. The motherboard has two different LAN connectors to cover different marketing sectors and customer demands:

Desktop Boards — Supported operating systems

• 2. Re: DQ77KB - Dual Gigabit LAN?
            icetea

Can you or someone give me a scenario then on why a customer would use two lan ports and how they would use then with standard versions of Windows?

Thanks

• 3. Re: DQ77KB - Dual Gigabit LAN?
              JFFulcrum

One PC have wired connection to Internet and via 'Internet Connection Sharing' feature of Windows provide it to several PCs in room/class. Sometimes useful in school or LAN Party, although the $15 chinese router solve problem easily. Another trick - two connections from different ISP, second as backup - online poker gamers and forex traiders use such solutions in home.

• 4. Re: DQ77KB - Dual Gigabit LAN?
                deanjo

Two NICS are also handy on systems running virtualization or linux where you may want to bond the NICs.  We use these boards for our pfsense firewalls as well.

• 5. Re: DQ77KB - Dual Gigabit LAN?
                  icetea

Which are all reason you would need Linux or Windows server OS for Dual NIC control as you can't do these things with standard Windows.

So i find it odd that Intel Supply 2 NICs but they only give drivers for Windows XP/7 an 8.

No Linux or Server Drivers.

• 6. Re: DQ77KB - Dual Gigabit LAN?
                    Horaxon

Well, I think that Linux usually supports the NICs out of the box, because the drivers are integrated into the Linux kernel.

May depend on the actual controller, but normally it should work. Kernel dev is quite fast when it comes to network hardware.

Aside from that, I personally like to have two LAN ports, even on a desktop system running windows.

For example, in the past I've used the second port for my fileserver, for backup purposes etc.

Currently, the first port is connected to my router (which is connecting to the Intenet), while the second port is connected with a gigabit switch for my little home network. In this network are some old computers, a printer, a NAS and a TV, so nothing what would need direct connection to the Internet.

So, to me, a separate local home network makes sense.