1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 19, 2012 10:50 AM by allan_intel

RAID 0 Fails to start without Windows DVD

Pete

Hi,

I have the HP DV7T Quad 7000 Series. It has support for RAID 0 by default; it comes shipped with the primary disk and a 32gb cache drive, and the machine used to boot with this configuration.

I wiped out all 3 drives -- the two 750gb hard drives and the 32gb SSD Cache drive.

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 x64 Ultimate (legal), and installed the Intel RST utility. From there, I am able to create a 'software' RAID 0.

The 'conversion' completes, and the computer runs great, until rebooting the machine.

At boot, it can't find the RAID 0 configuration. It says that there are no bootable drives available.

While troubleshooting, I rebooted the machine and went to get something to drink, and it was in Windows when I came back. Come to find out, the Windows installation CD was still in the drive. I rebooted the machine again, and it went into Windows after the 5 second timeout (from the CD).

I took the disk out and rebooted. It said it couldn't find the bootable drive.

I checked the BIOS, and it is set to boot off of the primary drive. I don't have an option in BIOS to switch between AHCI and RAID.

I also don't appear to have the OROM. I can't find a key sequence that will bring up a RAID menu at boot up.

I made sure that I am running the latest drivers and the latest BIOS version, and HP is stumped with this one; granted, their support isn't very supportive xD.

Anyway, if I boot into Windows and use the RST utility to break the RAID, I can boot normally again. If I reconfigure it for RAID 0 again, it never boots without the Windows cd.

For now, I am using the disk as my crutch, and I'm irritated with HP for not having the OROM installed, which would have made things a lot easier. The computer was expensive, and the sales people verified with tech support that it IS in fact able to run the configuration.

So, I've been beating my head against the keyboard now for about two months and I'm looking for help. I am using this chipset: Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E/5 Series/6 Series SATA RAID Controller which was detected by Intel's automatic detector.

I'm wondering if maybe the MBR isn't set up correctly or something.

I'm a noob when it comes to RAID setup... I have done it on the hardware side, but not software, and I'm not sure where to look. But I do understand how RAIDs work and their uses. There are fixes for this CD issue for regular SATA configurations, but I didn't want to try them because I wasn't sure if they were applicable.

Any ideas on this? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

• 1. Re: RAID 0 Fails to start without Windows DVD
          allan_intel

Hi,

Based on the problem description, it does not appear to be a problem with the on-board RAID controller because you are able to install the operating system and work until the computer is rebooted.

I believe the problem is related to the computer itself (motherboard), at this stage I recommend checking with HP for possible warranty options.

To access OROM you will need to use CTRL-I while booting up the computer.

Thanks

Allan