1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 1:36 PM by allan_intel

Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached

furyhawk

System Report

System Information

OS name:  Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

OS version:  6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 7601

System name:  ALIENMEDIA

System manufacturer:  System manufacturer

System model:  System Product Name

Processor:  GenuineIntel Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9 3.401  GHz

BIOS:  American Megatrends Inc., 0814

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Information

Kit installed:  11.6.0.1030

User interface version:  11.6.0.1030

Language:  English (Singapore)

RAID option ROM version:  11.0.0.1339

Driver version:  11.6.0.1030

ISDI version:  11.6.0.1030

Storage System Information

RAID Configuration

Array Name:  SATA_Array_0000

Size:  11,446,353 MB

Available space:  8 MB

Number of volumes:  1

Volume member:  chaostheory

Number of array disks:  4

Array disk:  WD-WMC1T0100347

Array disk:  WD-WMC1T0118409

Array disk:  D-WMC1T0058497:0

Array disk:  D-WMC1T0069805:0

Disk data cache:  Enabled

Volume name:  chaostheory

Type:  RAID 5

Size:  8,584,758 MB

System volume:  No

Data stripe size:  64 KB

Write-back cache:  Disabled

Initialized:  Yes 

Parity errors:  0

Blocks with media errors:  0

Physical sector size:  4096 Bytes

Logical sector size:  512 Bytes

Hardware Information

Controller name:  Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller

Type:  SATA

Mode:  RAID

Number of SATA ports:  5

Number of volumes:  1

Volume:  chaostheory

Number of spares:  0

Number of available disks:  3

Rebuild on Hot Plug:  Disabled

Manufacturer:  32902

Model number:  10274

Product revision:  4

Direct attached disk:  02522133500400001052

Direct attached disk:  WD-WMC1T0058497

Direct attached disk:  WD-WMC1T0100347

Direct attached disk:  WD-WMC1T0118409

Direct attached disk:  WD-WMC1T0069805

Direct attached disk:  D-WMC1T0058497:0

Direct attached disk:  D-WMC1T0069805:0

Disk on Controller 0, Port 0

Type:  SATA SSD

Location type:  Internal

Usage:  Available

Size:  119 GB

System disk:  No

Command queuing:  NCQ

SATA transfer rate: 6 Gb/s

Model:  ADATA SP900                            

Serial number:  02522133500400001052

SCSI device ID:  0

Firmware:  5.0.2a 

Physical sector size:  512 Bytes

Disk on Controller 0, Port 2

Type:  SATA disk

Size:  2,795 GB

SATA transfer rate: 3 Gb/s

Model:  WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0                   

Serial number:  WD-WMC1T0058497

SCSI device ID:  2

Firmware:  80.00A80

Disk on Controller 0, Port 3

Usage:  Array disk

Serial number:  WD-WMC1T0100347

SCSI device ID:  3

Disk on Controller 0, Port 4

Serial number:  WD-WMC1T0118409

SCSI device ID:  4

Disk on Controller 0, Port 5

Serial number:  WD-WMC1T0069805

SCSI device ID:  5

Disk on Controller 255, Port Unknown

Type:  Unknown disk

Location type:  Unknown

Size:  0 GB

Command queuing:  None

SATA transfer rate: Unknown Gb/s

Model: 

Serial number:  D-WMC1T0058497:0

SCSI device ID:  255

Firmware: 

Physical sector size:  0 Bytes

Logical sector size:  0 Bytes

Disk on Controller 255, Port Unknown

Type:  Unknown disk

Location type:  Unknown

Size:  0 GB

Command queuing:  None

SATA transfer rate: Unknown Gb/s

Model: 

Serial number:  D-WMC1T0069805:0

SCSI device ID:  255

Firmware: 

Physical sector size:  0 Bytes

Logical sector size:  0 Bytes

• 1. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
          Diego_Intel

Hello,

As per that reports there are actually two missing drives and the status of the RAID volume is failed. Probably the system failed to initialize or recognize the hard drives during post and this caused the whole volume to fail.

In this case, the RAID cannot be rebuilt at this point and there are no options to recover from this state.

• 2. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
            gartrste

I add to this thread because I suspect this is the same issue.

Thinking there may be an issue with 11.6.0.1030 given that an Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard has an

Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) 6 PORT SATA I/O Controller, this is a little hard to explain:

IRST bonkers.jpg

Prior to this magical occurrence, I upgraded from 11.2.0.1006  Shortly after upgrading I attempted to perform a system backup and the IRST software informed me that one of the disks making up the RAID 10 set was failing but allowed me to reset.  After that warn/reset process repeated several times, the IRST software showed the drive was a 1.5 Gbps drive rather than a 3.0 Gpbs drive like the other (then) identical models in the RAID 10 set.  The system (Windows 7 Ultimate, I7 980X) then proceeded to hang on shutdown.  On replacing the drive, it came up with the spurious - and missing - 7th drive/port.

Assuming the rebuild successfully completes, I will attempt to revert to 11.2.0.1006. 

Oh...and I'll test the hard drive I pulled to see if it is actually bad.

• 3. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
              gartrste

In what I consider to be a perfectly fascinating sequence of events, the rebuild completed and the spurious "missing" 7th port/drive disappeared.

A first, for me:  The positive result being something that wasn't there going away.  Ghosts in the machine, indeed.

• 4. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
                beigewell

I have a very similar issue "unknown disk on controller 255, Port unknown: Missing". I rebooted my PC and a disk now shows up as missing and non-raid member. I removed the disk and formatted and added it back to the RAID controller. First on the same port and then a different port (I have done a LOT of troubleshooting) removing the disk and formatting it was a last resort as it was not showing up. The disk shows as health and normal now. However I have no options to rebuild the array or add the disk to the array. I am now at a loss as to how to repair the RAID or remove the "missing" disk which is the exact same disk!error.jpg

• 5. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
                  Diego_Intel

Christian,

What is the status of the RAID array? (failed, degraded,normal).

Check on the Control I option ROM of the system and then see the status of the missing hard drive that has been marked as not part of the RAID, then select the option that says mark disk as non RAID and select that drive (make sure that you are not selecting any of the other drives that are part of the RAID 5).

In any case, be sure to have a back up of that RAID 5 already as another hard drive may be dropped and then the RAID 5 data will not be accessible.

• 6. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
                    beigewell

Hi it is just degraded at present so I am backing up all the data.  The missing dis shows as Non RAID in the ROM. Or shows up as Spare when I assign it as Spare. However I cannot seem to add it back into the RAID?

• 7. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
                      Diego_Intel

Did you mark it as non RAID driver in the optiom rom already? If not do this even though the drive is not listed as part of the RAID. Then use the rebuild to this disk option in the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology application in the operating system

• 8. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
                        beigewell

in the Matrix 8.9.1023 RAID BIOS I dont even have that option, all Ic an do is delete volume or create volume there os no way to mark drives? The drive has now failed even though 4 out of the 5 drives are normal?

• 9. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
                          beigewell

RAID DISK just wants to be initialized now if I open up disk management in Windows, so looks like it is completely screwed. Considering I had just added a new disk to protect against this, I am so frustrated that I cannot add a disk back to repair or rebuild, abolsutly no options there at all! Feel really let down by software here

• 10. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
                            Diego_Intel

Hopefully a backup was done before this happened as you mentioned before.

As per information you provided the system was using a quite out dated version of Option ROM, which is Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager 8.9 (not even Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology).

As a matter of fact Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager 8.9 was known to have random drive failures in certain systems, so one thing you should do would be to pursue for an updated version on this option ROM through a BIOS update. You can do this after the RAID is functional again.

By now, you would please send a print screen of what you see in the Option ROM of the system

• 11. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
                              beigewell

yep random drive failures is the issue! I have tried to update the RAID controller and can run RST in Windows but the ROM seems to be stuck at 8.9? I am running a Gigabyte X58 Motherboard with the very latest BIOS. Do I need to destroy this RAID and then re create with the Windows Intel Rapid Storage Tech?

cant get a screen print of the ROM at the moment. I have managed to get most of the data! 

• 12. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
                                Diego_Intel

The option ROM is updated the BIOS as it is an active part of it.

If the volume is listed as failed, then the data on it cannot be recovered with Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology.

What you could try to do would be to use a software utility to recover partitions on RAID volumes and check if that helps, or restore the back up you have created.

• 13. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
                                  tophe13

Hello all,

I think that I've just encounter a similar issue. My computer was stuck in suspend mode...

At the reboot, the RAID 5 array is dead...!! 2 drives are not recognised but are present in the list with a green state but "non RAID" drive status...

When I look in the RST utility, It seems that the Intel Utility is searching the drives with a bad serial number (it puts a ":0" at the end of the serial number it wants...). See the french screenshot below...

Intel.jpg

I don't know if there is a way to force RST to reallocate the drives in order to recover my RAID volume......

My RST version is 11.7.0.1013.

Thanks for your response.

• 14. Re: Missing harddisk from RAID volume even though its there attached
                                    Diego_Intel

There is no way to force the drives to be recognize by the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology again as Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology does not provide recover options for failed RAID volumes

1 2 Previous Next