2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 11:39 PM by nails

D945GTP SATA Boot / RAID Config

Mazerati

Hi fellow D945GTP'ers

My D945GTP has worked perfectly with an IDE boot drive and two 1Tb SATA drives configured as a RAID 1 array.

I know this a very old board but my typing hasn't speeded up any and it has worked just fine for me.

Anyway now I want to replace the boot drive with a 160Gb SATA one and of course that will have to sit on the SATA channel, the same one the 1Tb RAID 1 array needs.

After installing the SATA boot drive everything is fine then I add the RAID array and boom, BSOD with error 7B. This in fairness looks like exactly what the manual says will happen:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/i ... 015988.htm

Has anyone managed to configure a SATA boot drive in combination with a SATA RAID array on the same SATA controller?  Is there a BIOS setting that supports this?

Unfortunately I don't have the option of installing the OS to the RAID array to make that bootable.

I do have the option of buying another disk the same size as the boot disk and making that pair a RAID 1 array however don't know what would happen to my existing 1Tb RAID array.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Maz

• 1. Re: D945GTP SATA Boot / RAID Config
          Gize

After installing the SATA boot drive everything is fine then I add the RAID array and boom,

So you can boot in when the SATA controller is set to IDE mode but not RAID mode?

Is this Windows Vista / 7?

Did you clone the old IDE drive to the new SATA one?

• 2. Re: D945GTP SATA Boot / RAID Config
            nails

The motherboard uses the Intel 82801GR I/O Controller Hub (ICH7-R) for RAID support.

This has four SATA ports and one IDE channel.

You can install the operating system on a single SATA drive with the BIOS SATA configuration set to RAID. Then, you can connect your old RAID array and it will be detected as the previous RAID setup was. Single drives are allowed to be connected to one of the 4 SATA ports in RAID mode.

You may need to install the ICH7-R RAID driver using the F6 installation method on some operating systems. The boot order will need to be set in the BIOS.