11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2012 2:21 AM by Solace

USB 3.0 issues when adding 20 pin front panel adapter

Barry

I recently bought a new rig which is up and running.  BioStar TZ77B v5 mb, i7 3770 processor etc.  This mb is socket 1155 with Intel Z77 chipset and includes 2 USB 3.0 ports in rear along with several USB 2.0 ports.  It also comes with a front panel which includes sound ports, USB 2.0 ports and a sata port.  I decided to add a couple of USB 3.0 ports for the front of the case and ordered the BioStar USB 3.0 front panel adapter which connects to the 20 pin USB 3 header on the motherboard.  It ids and attaches my USB devices but only runs at 2.0 speeds.  I get the "this device can run faster with USB 3.0 super port" message and I installed a program to check transfer speed as well.  In this case the device is an ADATA USB 3.0 64gb thumbdrive.  If I plug this device into the rear (mb attached) USB 3.0 ports, it runs at 175 mbps.  Attached to the front USB 3.0 ports it runs 42 mbps.  I've ensured all drivers are up to date: chipset, eXtendable and literally everything in the system.  In the problem solving process I disabled/uninstalled one of the two "Intel 7 series/C216 chipset family USB enhanced controller" drivers unter the Universal Serial Bus controllers header in Device Manager.  The one uninstalled was 1E2D.  That left 1E26 still installed.  I found that with the 1E2D disabled, the front USB 3.0 ports were running at the correct speeds ( 175 mbps) and the "this device can run faster" message did not come up when device was plugged in.  I tried the USB 3.0 ports in rear of mb and they were also running at the correct speeds (which they always had) too. All the rear USB 2.0 ports are working fine.  The only thing not working when the 1E2D driver uninstalled was the front 2 USB 2.0 ports.  Everything else works fine, especially the 2 USB 3.0 front ports. I've rebooted system and the fix remained.  After the 2nd reboot however, the problem was back as first described.  I can't get it to duplicate either, at this point. This was the exact scenario I had last night.  Not sure what changed with the computer turned off all night but it will be interesting to see if I can remove the 1E2D driver tomorrow and see if that fixes it again, temporarily.  2 - C216 USB enhanced drivers are at 9.3.0.1.1011 and the eXt USB 3.0 is at 1.0.5.235.  Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: USB 3.0 issues when adding 20 pin front panel adapter
          allan_intel

Hi,

Have you tested another USB 3.0 front panel module?

Did you test drivers from your motherboard maker?

Is USB 3.0 enabled at BIOS level?

Thanks

Allan.

• 2. Re: USB 3.0 issues when adding 20 pin front panel adapter
            Barry

Allen,

Have you tested another USB 3.0 front panel module? I have

not.

Did you test drivers from your motherboard maker? yes, i loaded all

drivers, several times from BioStar & intel.

Is USB 3.0 enabled at BIOS level?

yes

The 2 integrated USB 3.0 ports at the back of the motherboard, have worked at 3.0 speed since the initial setup. The USB 3.0 front panel worked at the 3.0 speeds twice on two seperate days after removing the 1E2D Z77 chipset driver but it only fixed the issue temporarily and I can't seem to duplicate it today.When the 1E2D drivers were uninstalled the 2 front USB 2.0 ports would not work.  All the integrated ports worked at their respective speeds.  I don't know if it is a sequence thing or what but I know after un-installing the 1E2D chipset drivers, twice, the USB 3.0 front panel worked at 3.0 speeds. Eventually though, after a couple of reboots all the drivers end up getting reloaded and the speed on the front USB 3.0 panels go back to 2.0 speed. All ports on the back of the motherboard (integrated) work at their advertised speeds (USB 3.0 at 3.0 speeds and USB 2.0 at 2.0 speeds).  I disabled the 1E2D chipset driver this evening and could not get the USB 3.0 front panel ports to run at 3.0 speeds as I was able to do on 2 seperate days this past weekend.  I turn my pc off after use.  I do not leave it on 24 x 7. IMHO I believe the problem is with the chipset drivers since manipulation of those caused it to work until a couple of reboots were peformed or when I removed the 3.0 thumb drive from the port.  I've seen several threads, for different motherboard manufacturers, that are having the same exact problem with the Z77 drivers. It seems to me the front ports USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 conflict with each other, somehow. Maybe it's a BIOS problem too.  I have the lastest BIOS installed as well as all current drivers from BioStar and Intel.  These drivers have been the same during this whole testing I've been doing.

Regards,

Barry

• 3. Re: USB 3.0 issues when adding 20 pin front panel adapter
              Jason

I see there is a note that USB 3.0 is only supported by Windows 7 (and on), you did not mention the OS you are using - is it Win 7?

• 4. Re: USB 3.0 issues when adding 20 pin front panel adapter
                Barry

I'm sorry, yes it is Win 7 Home premium 64 bit.

• 5. Re: USB 3.0 issues when adding 20 pin front panel adapter
                  Barry

I was able to duplicate the fix tonight.

1. Unistall Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible driver 1.0.5.235

2. Reboot

3. Install Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible driver 1.0.5.235

4. Disable 1E2D Z77 USB chipset.

Front USB 2.0 ports don't work

Rear USB 2.0 ports work.

Front and rear USB 3.0 ports work at 3.0 speeds.

If I remove the ADATA USB 3.0 thumb drive from the front USB 3.0 ports, it will not reconnect up at the 3.0 speeds.

This sounds like either a BIOS problem (BioStar) or some kind of conflict between the 2 Intel Z77 chipsets: USB 3.0 Intel eXtsible chipset (1E31) & USB 2.0 Intel chipset (1E2D).  Both of which seem to control the front USB ports.

Regards,

Barry

• 6. Re: USB 3.0 issues when adding 20 pin front panel adapter
                    Barry

Booted PC last night and front USB 3.0 ports worked great.  Today, after power up, front USB 3.0 ports are running at 2.0 speeds.  Wow, this is nuts.

• 7. Re: USB 3.0 issues when adding 20 pin front panel adapter
                      Solace

I also have the same hardware and issue. The 20 pin header runs @ 3.0 until reboot/re-seat the device and the remaining ports run @ usb 2.0. EVERYTHING is configured properly and all of the drivers are the latest and proper revisions. This is a issue with the z77 chipset in either the BIOS or driver revision and needs to be corrected.

the only noticable difference is the MFG since mine is MSI for the board. usually means nothing since its still being handled by the same chipset.

• 8. Re: USB 3.0 issues when adding 20 pin front panel adapter
                        Barry

Here's another weird deal with this.  I can connect my newly bought Seagate Backup Plus 3.0 1TB external drive to the front USB 3.0 ports and it runs at the 3.0 speeds every time, every day.  The Adata 3.0 64GB thumb drive that has been used and tested ususally won't run on the front USB 3.0 ports at 3.0 speeds but runs every time at 3.0 speeds on the back (motherboard connected) USB 3.0 ports.   I don't understand what the difference in these two drives are, other than the obvious, but the Adata will run at 3.0 speeds, at times on the front USB 3.0 ports, when fooling with the drivers.  I have not fooled with the drivers the last few days and the Adata has not run at the 3.0 speeds on the front USB 3.0 ports lately.  I'm with you on the problem being with Intel drivers and the 20 pin header.  Seems like Intel could figure this out.  I sent an email to Biostar, concerning this issue and might as well have gotten a reply from a robot.  All they could say was, "Did you install the 3.0 drivers", which I stated in the email to them that I had already done that.  My last two boards were BioStar and I really like them, but this is the first time I've had to deal with their support and I can say there's not much support there.

• 9. Re: USB 3.0 issues when adding 20 pin front panel adapter
                          Barry

Latest observation.  In another round of testing with the 2 front USB 3.0 ports ports tonight I see that the Adata 3.0 thumb drive is now working at 3.0 speeds if connected to the front right (when facing front of computer) USB 3.0 port but only runs at 2.0 speeds when connected to the left front USB 3.0 port. Of course this only lasted until I removed the Adata drive.  Plugged it back up to the front right USB 3.0 port and it's back at the 2.0 speed. The Segate drive works at 3.0 speeds in either of the two front USB 3.0 ports but gets the error message about the "drive being faster if  connected to a USB 3.0 port" when plugged into the right port.  I ran a speed test and it is running at 3.0 speed in the right port even though the message thinks it is running at a 2.0 speed.

• 10. Re: USB 3.0 issues when adding 20 pin front panel adapter
                            Solace

Hows this not even get acknowledged by now? its incredibly easy to reproduce and theres not even a hint towards if its a driver/bios issued from the support. the oct 27 usb 3.0 drivers solved nothing.

• 11. Re: USB 3.0 issues when adding 20 pin front panel adapter
                              Solace

TweakTown Forums

another individual reporting the same issue. 20 pin header connected and 2.0 speeds regardless of driver version

seems that this occurs regardless of MFG brand, SB/IB since the OP is ivy and has the same issue. a hint towards a fix being devoloped or at least investigated would be nice as the z77 key features are native usb 3.0 which currently do not function correctly. one of the few days i wish i had a 3rd party controller integrated.