1 2 3 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 6:50 PM by GJones

Added RAM; now extremely slow start-up? Need advice.

GARoss

Motherboard - Intel DG965RY - BIOS is updated to latest version 1755
      CPU - Intel E6600 Core-Duo

RAM - WINTEC 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel

Dual boot OS; XP & Linux AMD64.

I'm not sharp as a tack with computers so please bare with me! I have made NO adjustments to my BIOS. The BIOS is, however 100% up to date.

More than once I've run out of RAM. (And, before someone says, "XP maxs RAM @ 4GB..." Yes, but Linux is 64bit & that's where I need more RAM). My goal was to max out RAM on my Intel DG965RY motherboard. Read all instructions found here...

http://support.intel.co.jp/support/motherboards/desktop/dg965ry/sb/CS-026602.htm

...& found 8GB was the limit & purchased WINTEC 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel. So, here's my problem. Now the computer boots much slower with 8GB installed vs 4GB; like 10x slower.

Here's how the computer acts. 
      I power up the computer; a few seconds later the blue Intel screen comes up. This is where you'd press F2 to make BIOS adjustments. Normally, this screen is up 10 seconds or less, then it goes to the OS selection screen. I select my OS; then hit Enter & off we go. From this point it is no different with 4GB or 8GB of RAM.
      Power up with 8GB RAM it acts quite differently. After few seconds, the blue Intel screen comes up. This time the screen is up 90 seconds. Then it goes to the OS selection screen & everything is normal from then on. Nothing unusual. System Manage sees all 8GB of RAM.
      I wish I knew more about computers to explain this better, but something isn't right.  Is BIOS checking RAM & other hardware during this blue screen? But, why so much longer? Is there needed setting in BIOS I've missed?
      I guess you could say that it does work with 8GB of RAM as Intel said it would. It's just unusual to me that it would take so long to boot!

Any ideas? All suggestions are appreciated.

GARoss

• 1. Re: Added RAM; now extremely slow start-up? Need advice.
          Javed Lodhi

Dear Ross,

Since you indicated that you are using 64-Bit Linux, I would assume that you have already recompiled your kernel for support over 4GB memory so moving on. The system specs seem okay however I just checked and in case you might have missed out on the issue listed under DG965RY for slow boot issues, here's the catch and a fix that I'd advise you to try:

Resolving Slow Boot Times
          Check the following tips to speed up the boot time of your computer.

• Set the hard drive as the first boot device in the boot order in the BIOS setup (Boot > Boot Device Priority menu).
          • Enable Intel® Rapid BIOS boot in the BIOS setup (Boot menu).
          • Disable Hard Disk Pre-Delay in the BIOS Setup (Advanced > Drive Configuration menu).
          • Disable system functions and features if you do not need them. Examples include:
            • Legacy USB - this must be enabled if you use a USB keyboard or USB mouse outside the Windows* environment (Advanced > USB Configuration).
            • Unused I/O ports, such as serial, parallel and IEEE-1394 ports (Advanced > Peripheral Configuration menu).
            • Event logging (Advanced > Event Log Configuration menu).

To enter BIOS Setup, press the <F2> key after the Power-On Self-Test (POST) memory test begins and before the operating system boot begins.

Warning: If any problems occur after making BIOS settings changes (poor performance, intermittent issues, etc.), reset the desktop board to default values:

1. During boot, enter the BIOS setup by pressing F2.
          2. Press F9 to set defaults.
          3. Press F10 to Save and Exit.

If the system locks or won’t boot after making BIOS settings changes, perform a BIOS recovery as described at Instructions for Recovery BIOS Update.

Refer to Optimization Tip - Device Boot Order for additional information on reducing boot times.

Try the above configurations and in case the issue still remains unresolved, please revert back to us so that we are further able to diagnose and fix the issue for you.

Thank you!

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Greener Computing for a Greener Tomorrow!

• 2. Re: Added RAM; now extremely slow start-up? Need advice.

Javed Lodhi,

As I said in my post, I'm not a computer expert. But, it seems to me this issue occurs long before it gets to my OS; where POST is doing it's system checks, then moves on to the boot selection screen, then to Windows XP or Ubuntu AMD64 bit. And, I'll say once again; everything is normal after POST. POST is the issue.

I've researched & found others who with the exact same Intel MB or one in the same series having the same issue. Here's an example with my own commits in BOLD;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaannouncements/thread/3560fca2-5ea9-4a76-933f-b0920f1f7890/

"

rrbrown wrote:

Did you ever resolve this issue?  I suspect RAM.  I just removed 4Gb (4 x 1Gb) SIMMs and installed 8Gb (4 x 2GB).  Bootup was normal prior to the upgrade.  Now it takes about 5 minutes.  I made no other changes.  I am running an Intel DG965WH mainboard with E6600 Core2 Quad.

I have your same motherboard/RAM setup but I only have a Core Duo installed (I have an E6600). I, too, was running Vista 64 with 4GB of 667 RAM without problems with the latest DG956WH BIOS--1729--and moved to 8GB.  That was my only change.  System totally craped out:long boot times, slow mouse response, long program loading times, etc. 

I went on an Internet search and discovered that virtually all BIOS revisions for the DG965 (I have the DG965RY)series of motherboards newer than 1669 (My BIOS is fully up dated to 1755)will exhibit the exact same problems, i.e. slow boot times, CPU utilization very high, response very slow, when in 64 bit mode with any amount of RAM over 4GB (Same for me; over 4GB slow, 4GB or less fast).

Intel has known about this problem for a *long* time and to date hasn't fixed it.  The only recourse known at this time is to downgrade the BIOS to 1669.  I did and I now have great performance in my Vista Ultimate 64.  So far I don't seem to have generated any new problems by using the older BIOS.

Some users have reported success with later BIOS versions under special circumstances, but I wasn't able to get any version newer than 1669  to work successfully and I tried all of them that are currently available on the Intel web site.  It was only when I hit 1669 that things started working well.

I don't know if the earlier BIOS will support the Quads or not but if so 1669 might be a solution for you."

Here's a manual for my mother board;

http://support.intel.co.jp/support/motherboards/desktop/dg965ry/sb/CS-022980.htm

• Enable Intel® Rapid BIOS boot in the BIOS setup (Boot menu).

I can find one reference in my manual to Rapid BIOS on page 10, but cannot find this scrolling for page to page my computer's BIOS. How do you do this?

I'd gladly go back to BIOS version 1669 which I have read more than once all works normal. I tried to using the v1669 BIOS.exe file in XP but it failed. Can this be done with a CD?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Added RAM; now extremely slow start-up? Need advice.
              GARoss

Javed,

Sorry as I responded yesterday without logging in but the guest responce is mine.

Intel is strange. It's as though no one is listening. Many of the suggestions you made are settings in BIOS that DO NOT EXIST in my BIOS settings! How about some information that would actually address my issue? The motherboard once again is DG965RY. Check the manual, there is NO Enable Intel® Rapid BIOS boot in the BIOS setup (Boot menu) in my BIOS settings!

This isn't an OS issue. The slowness is during POST period when the computer is first turned on & that is in Intels BIOS software. For some reason it takes additional time to check RAM over 4GB. Less than 4GB is normal; more than 4GB takes 10x longer for the POST check.

As I have pointed out in my guest post, others have had the same issue. They discovered this while have 8GB RAM working well, then noticing this slower POST period after a BIOS update. Their solution was to revert back to v1669 BIOS, the last BIOS known not to have this slow POST issue. But that was 1.5 years ago! Intel hasn't addressed this issue in 1.5 years?

I my case I carefully followed the recommendations by Intel for this motherboard to increase the RAM to 8GB.

So, please answer these questions;

Is there a different way to enable Rapid BIOS boot, like special keys to get to this menu?

Can I revert back to v1669 BIOS? If yes, is this best flashed with CD or floppy; not .exe file in XP?

Can POST check of RAM be defeated?

Regards,

GARoss

• 4. Re: Added RAM; now extremely slow start-up? Need advice.

In answer to your question, "Is BIOS checking RAM & other hardware during this blue screen? But, why so much longer? Is there needed setting in BIOS I've missed?"

Yes, during the blue screen at startup, the computer is running the Power On Self Test (POST), and RAM-checking is part of it.  It usually only does a full check if it was recently changed.  If set to THOROUGH, it will completely check the RAM every time it boots, making more RAM equal slower boot time.

This is straight from my 2001 Dell Latitude's BIOS:

Boot POST: [Automatic | Minimal | Thorough ]

"Allows you to specify what level of hardware checks are performed at Power On Self Test (POST).

If set to MINIMAL (default), recommended, POST performs few hardware checks unless:

1.) the BIOS has been updated,

2.) a memory SODIMM changed,

3.) the previous POST did not complete

Set to THOROUGH to perform a complete suite of hardware checks at POST.

Set to AUTOMATIC to allow the operating system to specify POST behavior.  Simple Boot Flag is required for the setting, and is not available with all operating systems.

Changes take effect after reboot."

• 5. Re: Added RAM; now extremely slow start-up? Need advice.
                  GARoss

This amazes me. Here I am posting on an Intel website & those responding haven't a clue how Intel MBs like the DG965RY work with POST.

There isn't a way, at lease not for common users, to edit POST functions with this MB. There are no options in the basic BIOS setting to get to this area which I'm confident exists, but not to a common user. There must be a series of keys to press during start-up to enter this menu which are not explained anywhere in the user manual.

Apparently, this is a server type MB & thus the reason for the limitations. Administrators would know how or have the means to find out, what the entry codes are but I haven't a clue & apparently no one else does either.

So, while I appreciate your input, it hasn't answered anything. Please actually read my post again & if you have some useful information, please post again. But, until someone tells me how to enter this start-up (POST) menu, this will not be possible.

• 6. Re: Added RAM; now extremely slow start-up? Need advice.
                    michelegartner

Hi GARoss - I've cleaned up the spam in this thread and am now moving it over to the Support community (This community is for questions around Intel vPro technology). http://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Please use the Report Abuse button when you see something inappropriate on the site. Much appreciated!

Michele Gartner

Intel vPro Expert Center

Community Operations Manager

• 7. Re: Added RAM; now extremely slow start-up? Need advice.
                      Aryan2411

Hi Michele,

I agree with you 100%. Actually, my email was full of spam, there was several  posts on DG45ID graphics drivers that caused that as well. I will check it and report it if i find something on this.

Regards,

Aryan

• 8. Re: Added RAM; now extremely slow start-up? Need advice.
                        BrianE-IT

GARoss,

If you have determined that going back to version 1669 of the DG965RY BIOS is going to fix your issue, you can attempt to use the BIOS recovery method to flash your BIOS back to 1669. Some motherboard manufacturers do not allow the downgrade of BIOS versions. I'm not certain if Intel enforces this policy.

As for the Rapid BIOS Boot feature, the DG965RY does support this feature, but you cannot toggle it within the BIOS. If going back to the previous BIOS version does not help, I can only say that you may be having problems with the memory controller.

• 9. Re: Added RAM; now extremely slow start-up? Need advice.
                          GARoss

Hi Michele Gartner,

At this moment, I'm very confused. What SPAM are you referring to?

Javed & Chris offered suggestions to help as far as I'm concerned. If this MB was a standard type, their suggestions would probably help. Then again, I wouldn't be posting if it were that simple. This MB doesn't have access to change how POST checks hardware; at least not accessible for common users.

My rant, if you will, is based on trying to upgrade my Intel product to the full capabilities as stated by Intel; only to find that the POST time went from 10 seconds to 90 seconds. Six weeks after my post I get a suggestion from Chris. I needed help six weeks ago when I was concerned my PC was about to blow up!

Thanks for your concerns.

GARoss

• 10. Re: Added RAM; now extremely slow start-up? Need advice.
                            michelegartner

Sounds like it's fixed now, then? Sorry about the spam mention - there was a ton of it in this thread & I removed it - which is why you don't see it anymore. :-)

• 11. Re: Added RAM; now extremely slow start-up? Need advice.
                              GARoss

I tried to go back to BIOS 1669 but with Intel's .exe file but it failed to install. At that point I had to ask myself was it worth the risk of trying the floppy method? I felt not. I could be opening Pandora's box, causing more problems that it would be worth.

• 12. HeFMwCvrDFzYVOP
                                Your reply was rejected by a moderator. Please edit your reply and resubmit it for approval.

Nice site. Thank you.,

• 13. FxIfXvaFSFd
                                  Your reply was rejected by a moderator. Please edit your reply and resubmit it for approval.
                                  • 14. dJHNijQQFOvMJXH

Very good site. Thanks!!,

1 2 3 Previous Next