3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2012 5:05 AM by assada

Chipset stepping confusion

assada

Hi All,

I was trying to identify my HM65 chipset if it's affected or not, but found it has TWO steppings.
      At first, I checked it through software method(Device Manager). It showed the stepping was REV_04.
      The machine was then sent to the Fujitsu authorized center for further checks. They told me the chipset was SLJ4P, and sent me this photo.
      They also confirmed that the chipset has a 04h stepping register bit, and saying it may be Intel's fault to cause this result.
      Can anybody tell me what happened to my computer?

• 1. Re: Chipset stepping confusion
          allan_intel

Hi,

Intel has already fixed this problem by replacing every defective chip set with a Rev B3

Try the following steps to identify if the computer comes with B2 or B3.

Right click on My computer

Hit Properties

Go to device manager

And expand Universal Serial Bus

Locate Intel(R) 6 series/c200 series Family USB enhanced Host controller

Right click and properties

Details Tab

Hardware ID

If hardware ID ends in 04, the system is using B2.

If hardware ID ends in 05, the system is using B3

Please bear in mind the problem was identified only with B2 chipset revisions.

If you find B2 chipset revision, you need to contact your computer manufacturer for further actions.

Thanks

Allan

• 2. Re: Chipset stepping confusion
            assada

Hi allan,

Sorry for the dead photos.

I did contact with my manufacturer because I identified my chipset was B2 by using the method you provided.

The revision number reads from the firmware CONFLICTS the one printed on the chipset die.

However, my manufacturer said that the chipset is a B3 one, and refused to replace it.

They also told me the conflicted rev number was caused by Intel because of a wrong firmware.

Therefore, I want to hear the answer from INTEL, not my manufacturer.

Device Manager: http://i.minus.com/ib0RJgJAd1aGev.png

Chipset: http://i.minus.com/jbdxmqoVqzYmDx.JPG

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Chipset stepping confusion
              assada

Does anyone here?