6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2012 1:10 AM by Harish

"...does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software”???

hawkeye52

I have an ASUS P5E mobo with an Intel CORE 2 duo E6850 CPU

The chipset is Intel X48 Express which includes the 82801 IR I/O controller (ICH9R)

There are two 250GB SATA drives connected

The O/S is WinXP Pro (32bit) SP2

Why do I get this error message:

“The computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software”

when I try to update (re-install) the Matrix Storage Console???

You should know that this exact system operated as a RAID1 for 4½ years before one of the drives became “degraded”.

It met the minimum requirements then, so why is there a problem now?

-H52

BTW, my X48 Express chipset DOES NOT support Rapid Storage Tech, so I’m stuck with MSC, obsolete or not :- )

• 1. Re: "...does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software”???
          Gize

Depending on what package version of IMSM / IRST you're trying to install, your PC might not meet the minimum requirements due to .Net 3.0 / 3.5 not being installed.  On an off chance, it could be because SP3 isn't installed either.  Or, you're trying to upgrade the driver / software package when the RAID volume is degraded / rebuilding.

I can tell you for certain that the Intel RST package supports ICH9R on Windows XP though:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21407&keyword=11.2.0&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21407/eng/STOR_11.2_readme.txt  ICH9R falls under "Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller".  The hardware ID in device manager should be PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822

• 2. Re: "...does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software”???
            hawkeye52

Good input, Gize!  I thought I had Net 3.0 installed, but apparently not.

So I went and installed Net.3.5 SP1 but no joy -- I still get the does not meet the minimum requirements message.

"...trying to upgrade the driver / software package when the RAID volume is degraded / rebuilding."

I have the two 250GB drives connected, but they are NOT rebuilding and in fact, they are configured as individual drives (IDE-enhanced). Both HDDs --including the "failed" one --list as healthy in Disk Mgmt.  Previously I had a new drive connected in lieu of the "failed" one but the message was the same.

I want to stay away from Win SP3 for a variety of reasons.  In any event, I only had SP2 when I originally created the raid 4+ years ago.

Any other ideas?

- H52

• 3. Re: "...does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software”???
              Gize

in fact, they are configured as individual drives (IDE-enhanced).

???

If the drives are set for anything other than AHCI or RAID in the BIOS, the software package may not install.  I haven't installed IRST / IMSM on WinXP in quite awhile, so I'm not 100% sure how it will react.

• 4. Re: "...does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software”???
                hawkeye52

Thank you Gize for the reply.  The truth is I've gone in so many circles & tried so many approaches that I cannot remember the what or why of my earlier post.  The good news is I believe I have finally licked this matter and will post a summary as soon as I confirm that to be true.

- H52

• 5. Re: "...does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software”???
                  hawkeye52

This is being posted as both a wrap up of this thread and as an aid to any fellow PCer who may find himself with a similar problem.

My most recent headache evolved from what should have been a straightforward exercise in RAID re-building. Unfortunately, it resulted in a series of “blind alleys”, frustration and some cussing (OK, a lot of cussing). It also consumed three weeks.

I set out to replace a failed 250GB RAID1 array with a similar 500GB RAID1 array.  My first error was to directly substitute a new 500GB HDD for the failed 250GB drive.  The array rebuilt itself as an exact image of the remaining 250GB drive and there was no way to access the remainder of the 500GB.

This should have been a simple “data migration” using Intel’s Matrix Storage Console (MSC), as my chipset contains Intel’s ICH9R.  Unfortunately, somewhere early in the process my MSC disappeared and despite numerous attempts, I was never able to re-install it because “The computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software” despite evidence to the contrary and positive advice from the Intel community.

I was left with Intel’s Matrix Storage Manager (MSM) which stubbornly insisted that there was "Not enough space to create a volume". In the end, I have not discovered why Intel’s software dislikes me, and at this point the matter is moot.

My workaround

1. I took my 500GB HDDs with their assortment of partitions and WinXP installs and wiped them clean using Darik’s Boot & Nuke (DBAN), a 2½-hour process using the “QUICK” tool.  This returned the drives to their out-of-the-box state.
                  2. With both 500GB HDDs connected, SATA configured as RAID in the BIOS and the optical drive as # 1 in boot priority, the Matrix Storage Manager (MSM) was used to create a RAID1 array, a process which occurred in the blink of an eye.
                  3. Next, used Windows Setup and F6 to install the ICH9R RAID drivers, partition the drive and install WinXP SP2.  All told, about a 40-minute process.
                  4. After completing the Windows install I used EaseUS’ Partition Master – a marvelously useful and intuitive tool that should reside on every “advanced” desktop – to further partition and adjust the disk the way I wanted, a process which took exactly 49 seconds.  Unbelievable!
                  5. The last step was to transfer files from the restore I had made when the original array failed. That process required 3½- hours.

Lessons learned “along-the-way”

* Create RAID arrays using “raw” (unformatted) disks

* If you are replacing a failed disk with one of the same size, simply substitute it for the failed disk

* If you are replacing a failed disk with a larger one, use Intel’s data migration procedure [link] »

http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/imsm_reference1.pdf

* Install the O/S AFTER the array is created; the creation process will erase everything on the disks

- H52

• 6. Re: "...does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software”???
                    Harish

The Same Problem was Coming To me.. While Installing the Intel Chipset Software..Its Showing that The System Does Not reaches The Minimum Requirement.. What can i do..??