3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 8:25 AM by Adolfo_Intel

Some general questions on cpu's.

lezzmeister

Hi. I'm new to this forum, and I figured since the tag ask_experts_questions, this means I can ask general questions on cpu's here as well and not just on support with purchased products? If not, please direct me to the proper forum.

• 1. Re: Some general questions on cpu's.
          Adolfo_Intel

Yes you can ask general questions regarding Intel processors in this forum.

If you need to find specifications about any of the Intel processors available in the market, please check this link:

http://ark.intel.com/

• 2. Re: Some general questions on cpu's.
            lezzmeister

Well, I read about some other cpu's and know that Hyperthreading is also known as SMT, and that that technology has been around for quite a while now. I also read that on some cpu's(as the Sun SPARC) SMT can make a core work on more than just 2 threads, but 4 or more. Is that something that would ever be seen on Intel cpu's? Or has it already been done on servercpu's and I never read about it? Is it some kind of hard thing to pull off for more than 2 HT threads? I read that for the Pentium 4, the first cpu where this was done for the desktop, it was done by adding just 2 instructions, m_thread and m_wait, is this correct? If so, why have you not done anything with this? Or was it done in the lab and found to be not very constructive?

Intel added AES acceleration in certain Core cpu's. Why the choice for AES? And is this a simple single instruction? Or is it more than that(whole instructionset, small coprocessor on die)? Are there any plans or have there ever been to add other encryption things like SHA to the cpu? Why(not)? Would it be added in any (not so distant)future cpu's, or what chances are there of it happening?

What other specific things would and/or could Intel add to cpu's? I read about Quick Connect, a random number generator, there's AES already. I read about fused multiply-add, but this is fairly general purpose and so not really what I mean, correct?

Why is it that it looks like big jumps in performance often have to come from extra instructions instead of pure inprovements in the cpu? There is the 10-15% with every tick and tock, but the real jumps come from things like OpenCL with the GPU on CPU, extra fast encryption with the AES, but there's never the 30%+ jump with just a tick or tock.

• 3. Re: Some general questions on cpu's.
              Adolfo_Intel

I see that you have very specific questions about our technologies, in this particular case, I would suggest contacting a Field Application Engineer (FAE) so they can provide you the most accurate answer.

In order to talk to a Field Application Engineer (FAE), please call any of our Authorized Intel® Distributors and ask them to put you in contact with a Field Application Engineer (FAE).

You can find a list of Authorized Intel® Distributors at:

www.intel.com/reseller