4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 12:51 PM by inception8

Are there motherboards that offer at least 2 BIOS chip purchase options

inception8

Hi,

To whom ever can answer this question. I was tasked with trying to find motherboards that offer at least 2 BIOS chips as a purchase option.

The question goes like this:

"Find two motherboards that give options of purchasing two different bios-es. Include the advantages of each bios, explaining which situation each one would be used for. This may be a difficult task so take some time."

I have yet to find this as an actual option on any motherboard manufacturer website. Seriously I do not think this actually exists especially if it's not something that's widely so common you would see it just about everywhere.

I have no idea if this would be in desktop or server based motherboard configurations but I suspect it would be something leaning more towards server motherboards.

If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Are there motherboards that offer at least 2 BIOS chip purchase options
          Shaun

Gigabyte motherboards feature two bios chips. My old Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 had two physical bios chips. One was the main bios, the other a backup bios.

• 2. Re: Are there motherboards that offer at least 2 BIOS chip purchase options
            inception8

Yeah I'm actually familiar with Gigabyte's Dual Bios but this thing that I'm referring too is actually different from that.

The question mean that there was a choice to have two physical BIOSes one that could replace the other in terms of features.

• 3. Re: Are there motherboards that offer at least 2 BIOS chip purchase options
              phil_l

Hi

Presumably this is some sort of college/exam question, I'm wondering if it isn't somewhat dated as a question now.

Many years ago I had an Intel Zappa motherboard and it was possible to swap the Intel BIOS for one called MR BIOS from Microid Research, this offered options to adjust memory timings and other settings not offered by the Intel BIOS, you can search the net and find references to this company and BIOS but nothing recently.

Perhaps in the data centre/server arena it is possible to purchase a different BIOS to install, but I can't see anything being available in the typical PC segment these days.  There would be no money in it given that BIOS's tend to all come from the same couple of companies anyway and include all the settings you are ever likely to need in order to attract the over-clocking enthusiasts.

Regards

Phil

• 4. Re: Are there motherboards that offer at least 2 BIOS chip purchase options
                inception8

Yes you're partly right Phil it is a college question but just more or less a class research question. Considering the instructor is just slightly over 50 it's possible it could be dated (laughs). Heck the machines we used first in hardware class to take apart are DEC machines from at least 1997. While they are old they can apparently take a beating which places 'dated' in a kind of unique situation.

But it may have also been a trick question, he's like that or can be.

If I can't find it and it's not something you could easily identify then it must be hidden somewhere to the degree that's it not generally used much in anywhere but may have been at one time possibly.