Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

How do I defeat "Not enough space to create a volume"?

idata
Employee

I am trying to rebuild my RAID 1 using the Intel Matrix Storage Console (MSC) by building from a 250GB to a 500GB. Every time I try to "Create RAID Volume" I get an error message: "Not enough space to create a volume".

I get this error whether the target drive is:

• Completely wiped clean (I used DBAN) --OR--
  • Simply Initialized --OR--
  • Formatted with a basic partition and the remainder unallocated

Can anyone PLEASE tell me what must be done to avoid this bloody error message?

- H52

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

This is being posted as both a wrap up of this thread and as an aid to any fellow PCer who may find himself with a similar problem.

My most recent headache evolved from what should have been a straightforward exercise in RAID re-building. Unfortunately, it resulted in a series of "blind alleys", frustration and some cussing (OK, a lot of cussing). It also consumed three weeks.

I set out to replace a failed 250GB RAID1 array with a similar 500GB RAID1 array. My first error was to directly substitute a new 500GB HDD for the failed 250GB drive. The array rebuilt itself as an exact image of the remaining 250GB drive and there was no way to access the remainder of the 500GB.

This should have been a simple "data migration" using Intel's Matrix Storage Console (MSC), as my chipset contains Intel's ICH9R. Unfortunately, somewhere early in the process my MSC disappeared and despite numerous attempts, I was never able to re-install it because "The computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software" despite evidence to the contrary and positive advice from the Intel community.

I was left with Intel's Matrix Storage Manager (MSM) which stubbornly insisted that there was "Not enough space to create a volume". In the end, I have not discovered why Intel's software dislikes me, and at this point the matter is moot.

My workaround

1. I took my 500GB HDDs with their assortment of partitions and WinXP installs and wiped them clean using Darik's Boot & Nuke (DBAN), a 2½-hour process using the "QUICK" tool. This returned the drives to their out-of-the-box state.
  2. With both 500GB HDDs connected, SATA configured as RAID in the BIOS and the optical drive as # 1 in boot priority, the Matrix Storage Manager (MSM) was used to create a RAID1 array, a process which occurred in the blink of an eye.
  3. Next, used Windows Setup and F6 to install the ICH9R RAID drivers, partition the drive and install WinXP SP2. All told, about a 40-minute process.
  4. After completing the Windows install I used EaseUS' Partition Master – a marvelously useful and intuitive tool that should reside on every "advanced" desktop – to further partition and adjust the disk the way I wanted, a process which took exactly 49 seconds. Unbelievable!
  5. The last step was to transfer files from the restore I had made when the original array failed. That process required 3½- hours.

Lessons learned "along-the-way"

* Create RAID arrays using "raw" (unformatted) disks

* If you are replacing a failed disk with one of the same size, simply substitute it for the failed disk

* If you are replacing a failed disk with a larger one, use Intel's data migration procedure [link] "

http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/imsm_reference1.pdf http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/imsm_reference1.pdf

* Install the O/S AFTER the array is created; the creation process will erase everything on the disks

- H52

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm a new user. I'm using reply, because there's no obvious way to start a new thread.

I set up a RAID1 array using two WD 1 TB drives. One of these drives failed, after less than six months. The computer boots and runs. I want to re-build the raid array. I installed a new Seagate 1 TB drive. The system sees the drive. But when I try to rebuild the array, I get a message: "Not enough space to create the volume". This is one of those messages that is accurate but totally useless, as it does not offer any insight into what to do. I have two drives of precisely the same capacity. The Seagate drive is in exactly the same condition, as it was, when I took it from the shipping carton. What does the error message mean and how do I get the Array rebuilt?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Most likely it's due to HDDs from different vendors have slight difference in capacity, even though the claimed capacity is same. Solutions could be:

1. Use HDDs with same vendor/model, or

2. Use a larger HDD, or

3. Perform a full backup, re-create the RAID from scratch, and restore the data.

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

Btw, to start a new thread, go to the community home page and select /community/tech/post!input.jspa?containerType=14&container=2379&contentType=1 Start a discussion in the Actions panel to your right.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear Edward,

Thank You, for your reply. The system did not show any discrepancy in drive capacities. If there is some other difference - that makes a 1TB Seagate drive incompatible with a 1 TB WD drive - then I conclude it is a further disservice by Western Digitial.

Yours faithfully,

Jay Simkin

0 Kudos