1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 6:56 PM by zeke009

BSOD on Win7 SP1 64-bit w/ Intel RSTe 3.2.0.1134

zeke009

Using "WhoCrashed v3.06" this evening I was able to get some clearer information on my recent BSOD streak (15 since 8/12 and 11 since 9/14) and it pointed to the RSTe drivers.

----------------------------------------------------

On Sat 9/15/2012 7:35:15
      AM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: iastora.sys (iaStorA+0x63E80)
      Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8800195E0D2)
      Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
      file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\iastora.sys
      product: Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise driver
      company: Intel Corporation
      description: Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise driver - x64
      Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
      This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
      A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the
      following driver: iastora.sys (Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise driver - x64, Intel Corporation).
      Google query: iastora.sys Intel Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

----------------------------------------------------

I'll uninstall the drivers and use the default MS one to see if this stops the occurance of the BSOD's, but is anyone else seeing this or found a solution that allowd them to keep the RSTe drivers?

At one point I had 3.2.0.1135 installed, but those have since been pulled, so I uninstalled and went to 3.2.0.1134 where the problem continued.

System Specs

• Intel Core i7-3820
      • Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 (latest Chipset drivers and Intel RSTe 3.2.0.1134)
      • Mushkin 16GB DDR3
      • ASUS GTX-680
      • Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD SATAIII (system)
      • Mushkin Callisto Enhanced 120GB SSD SATA II (games)
      • WD Black 500GB (crap, scratch, storage)
      • Corsair 750W PSU
        • 1. Re: BSOD on Win7 SP1 64-bit w/ Intel RSTe 3.2.0.1134
          zeke009

Even with Intel RSTe uninstalled, the driver was still present.  Device Manager said I was using the MS AHCI driver from 2006, but the BSOD's continued and they all pointed to iastora.sys.  I tried to remove the driver manually, but that didn't work either.

I reimaged my machine last night and I'm BSOD free.  Not sure what the heck went wrong there, I wish I had more info about why the driver would not uninstall or why the BSOD's continued to help others.