1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 7:27 AM by idi_amin

DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed

cremersdh

I just tried to update the BIOS of my DH77DF with the latest version 0100 (date 9/6/2012)

The former version I was using was version 069C. I still used this one, because the 0095 has issue with UEFI booting of Linux.

But.... After the update (using the F7 update option), which itself was 100% succesfull, my computer didn't startup correctly anymore.

When I boot it, I get no screen on my monitor and only hear 2 beeps (pause and 2 more beeps). This indicating there is a problem with the video.

I however am using the onboard/inCPU video of my Intel Core I5 3475S, so it can't be a broken videocard.

I tried clearing all settings by removing the battery, but no succes there...

So I ended up doing a BIOS recovery and am now back to version 069C.

Did anyone else try the 0100 BIOS version for the DH77DF yet ? Anyone have a good idea how I can succesfully update my BIOS ?

The main reason I would like to use it, is because it is stated the XMP memory voltage issue is supposed to be fixed.

• 1. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
          Dan_Intel

Hello,

In order to ensure compatibility and provide accurate troubleshooting please let us know the part number for  memory and power supply you are using.

• 2. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
            cremersdh

Hi Dan,

I am using Kingston 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz memory (KHX1600C9D3LK2/8GX Kit) together with a  Pico PSU-160-XT power supply.

I have no issues with BIOS version 069C or 0095 (besides the known Linux boot issue), so I do not expect the problem to be with the memory or the PSU....

What I do expect by now, is that there might be an issue with the default settings of the IGD in the BIOS. Could it be this is set to disable onboard/internal video ? I think this because in the release notes there seems to have been problems with this before.

quote out of the release notes of the 0100 BIOS firmware states:

Known Errata:

Recovery downgrade to version before KC0081 will cause IGD disabled in default issue, can only resolved with VGA card inserted

I my case it was not a downgrade, but the description could match my problem. If IGD was disabled and since I don't have an external VGA card, it would make sense to get an error with 2 beeps indicating there is no video.

Is there any way I could check this (without having an external VGA card) ?

• 3. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
              Mike

I just want to see the response.  I've got the exact same setup, except I've got 16GB.  I just did a new install of Windows 7 with a 120GB SSD.  Everything went spectacular, even loaded all the drivers.  I was fixin' to hook up to the net, and download the kajillion updates, when, lo and behold, when I booted up, it hung on the first "Intel on Board... " or something like that blue screen.  I managed to boot into the "pick your boot Fxx" screen, and tried, unsuccessfuly, to change the boot order.  I thought it was hanging because I had unplugged the external dvd drive.  No success.  So, I downloaded the 0100 bios update.  Tried to install, but it appeared to hang on that first screen again...  after restarting, unplugging, undoing the config jumper, unplugging the battery, and trying again, and again, now, I can't even get to the blue screen, nor the "pick your boot Fxx" screen.  Nothing now.  Can I try something else, or is this an RMA?

Thanks, Mike

Sugar Land, TX

• 4. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
                cremersdh

I do wonder if this is the same problem. Because you are not stating you also get 2 beeps, which is a obvious BIOS error. They would come from the motherboard itself....

What you could try, and what made my computer useable again for now, is to recover your BIOS update and restore the former version. For details how to perform this, check http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm

But I would like to keep this thread on the problem on getting the 2 beeps and no screen at all, with the new firmware, and not slide into how to recover firmware, which is well documented int the link above.

• 5. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
                  erc

Hello Cremersdh,

I also have a DH77DF board and 0100 BIOS is working Ok.

My upgrade process is the following:

•     I downloaded the KC0100.bio file, wich was then copied to a pendrive;
                  •     I rebooted the system and pressed F7 in the boot process;
                  •     I selected the pendrive and the bios file;
                  •     The update had no issues reported and the system rebooted itself;

At least for now everything is working ok.

Maybe your BIOS file got corrupted? The SHA512 of my file is the following:

826fbf7280742ea3862d89f7c1182a18e6eceaec6588471be6101c1f4

3731825075404117d499e5527d4f81849dec86aec6581756d6db2f87

8c8115532dd175d  KC0100.bio

IMHO intel should inform a hash for each BIOS file.

The main reason I would like to use it, is because it is stated the XMP memory voltage issue is supposed to be fixed.

This problem seems to be fixed.

Good luck.

PS: Sorry for my english. It is not my native language.

Message was edited by: erc The hash was cropped. it is now in 3 lines

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
                    voodolounge

I also updated to 0100 bios.  The  new GUI bios is very pretty.  At first everything seem fine.  But had problems.  I was watching TV  with Hauppauge Colossus TV tuner.  I am using Win7 64bit.  The TV tuner  had some kind of video roll which was very slight. The audio had a  hum. This was happening only on one channel. At first I thought something went wrong with my Hauppauge Colossus. Then I ran AID64 system stability test. The test failed within seconds. No over clock everything is stock. I reflash back to 0095 bios. Now Hauppauge Colossus is working just find. The AID64 system stability test runs fine. Something is wrong with this 0100 bios. I will be running 0095 bios until they get 0100 bios fix. Sorry I could not solve your problem. Just wanted  you to know someone else was  having problems with this bios.

• 7. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
                      Mike

Cremersdh,

I can dig it; I didn't mean to hijack to restore the BIOS.  Thanks for the link!  I did manage to restore it to 0069 (what came with my motherboard).  I had to find an old PCI-e DVI-D video adapter, one with no power requirements, using a DVI-D to HDMI cable, and was finally able to see the BIOS.

After restoring, I changed the Configuration: Video settings.  I'm using:

IGD <Always Enable>

Primary Video Adapter <Int Graphics (IGD)>

IGD Primary Video Port <HDMI>

IGD Secondayr Video Port <DVI-I (Blue) Digital>

No Video Detected Error Beeps <Enabled>

After that, I was able to get back into Windows 7 64bit.

Then I shut down, removed the big PCI-e video adapter, and changed the cable to the onboard DVI-D (blue) port.  That's what I'm using now, and all seems well.

I don't want to try to flash the BIOS to the 0100, until I have more issues.  So far, none.

Mike 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
                        cremersdh

Mike wrote:

After restoring, I changed the Configuration: Video settings.  I'm using:

IGD <Always Enable>

Primary Video Adapter <Int Graphics (IGD)>

IGD Primary Video Port <HDMI>

IGD Secondayr Video Port <DVI-I (Blue) Digital>

No Video Detected Error Beeps <Enabled>

I also inserted these settings, but didn't try to update to 0100 again yet. I first am awaiting the feedback of Dan_Intel and am also wondering because of the experience of voodoolounge.

• 9. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
                          cremersdh

erc wrote:

Hello Cremersdh,

I also have a DH77DF board and 0100 BIOS is working Ok.

My upgrade process is the following:

•     I downloaded the KC0100.bio file, wich was then copied to a pendrive;
                          •     I rebooted the system and pressed F7 in the boot process;
                          •     I selected the pendrive and the bios file;
                          •     The update had no issues reported and the system rebooted itself;

At least for now everything is working ok.

Your english is just fine (or as bad as mine, my native language is dutch)

I was wondering if you are using an external VGA card, or the onboard/incpu only ?

• 10. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
                            erc

I am using the processor GPU (Intel hd 2500) with a DisplayPort cable.

System specs:

CPU: Core i5 - 3550

MB: DH77DF

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPW

HD: Samsung 160GB/7.200 rpm

PSU: OEM TFX - manufactured by FSP

I may be wrong, but it looks like the new BIOS is not compatible with your RAM. Maybe you could try again with another RAM.

Good luck.

• 11. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
                              erc

I remembered another thing. The last option In the power section of the BIOS is Flash Update Sleep Delay ( or something like that). The description says it may increase the compatibility with power supplies when enabled. IMHO it is worth a try.

• 12. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
                                voodolounge

My ram works find with 095 bios. If you have to update your ram with a bios change. Intel will have to fit this.

• 13. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
                                  Mike

Maybe this applies to the 0100 BIOS, but for the 069, I tried booting with the on-board HDMI output.  It froze on the first blue splash screen.  No <F2, F7...> on the bottom right.  So I turned the power off, and swithed to the on-board DVI-D output.  Booted right up.  After I logged in to Windows 7, I unplugged the DVI-D, and plugged in the HDMI.  Bam!  There's the Windows 7 desktop!  I just did a soft reboot, and no dice with the HDMI output.

• 14. Re: DH77DF BIOS update to 0100 failed
                                    Dan_Intel

Hi,

After checking the information you have provide us, power supply is fine and regarding memory our recommendation is making sure you are using the JEDEC profile DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9 @1.5V or rising the voltage to 1.5V in case that you are using XMP Profile #1: D3-1600 CL9-9-9 @1.35V.

Remember that the memory controller on the processor will support DDR3-1333/1600MHz rated at 1.5V exclusively. That could be preventing the motherboard to get the BIOS version 0100 working properly.

1 2 Previous Next