7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2012 3:11 AM by change006

Broken RAID5 on P67

change006

Hi dear intel community!

I have an ASUS P8P67-M board, where 4 2TB disks are setup in a RAID5 as data storage. Just today I've wanted to reinstall my system (not on the RAID5) and ran into some trouble. Long story short, 2 2TB disks are no longer part of the RAID-setup:

DSC_0019.jpg

I don't think that those 2 disks wer formatted or something, so I hope no data is lost.

The obvious question however now is how I can reassign the 2 disks to the RAID5? I've looked into the Recovery Volume Options, however I'm not sure if this is of any help.

DSC_0018.jpg

Can somebody please help me out here? I really don't wanna lose my data.

Thanks,

Gunther

• 1. Re: Broken RAID5 on P67
          change006

Anyone? I guess you hear this all the time but I just cannot lose all my data!

Some ideas I came up with:

• Might the 2 disks be connected with the wrong SATA port? (switched ports?)
          • Is any of the recovery options (Enable Only Recovery Disk or Enable Only Master Disk) helpful? Should I give it a shot?
          • Might deleting and recreating the RAID5-array help here (without losing my data of course)?
          • Can something be done on the operating system level? (probably not I guess)

The two disks lost the assignment to the RAID5 right after I've updated the BIOS, which was necessary unfortunately. The BIOS settings were not preserved, so the SATA controller operated in AHCI mode. I had to set it back to RAID manually.

Please guys/ladys, any help is appreciated!

• 2. Re: Broken RAID5 on P67
            John Bergerson

I've had this EXACT SAME thing happen to me after updating the BIOS on my Gigabyte MB.  RAID 5 with three drives, and two of the three failed after booting without resting BIOS Raid configuration.  I've spend the last several days trying to figure out how to solve this, and am most interested if you find some help on this issue because it will apply to me too.

Thanks all!

John

• 3. Re: Broken RAID5 on P67
              change006

I'm sorry to hear that you have the same problem John. Did you already make attempts to solve this? When yes which ones?

• 4. Re: Broken RAID5 on P67
                John Bergerson

I've been working on this for a week, and I finally made a breakthrough.  The RAID itself is toast.  But, the underlying data is still there, and I was able to create a virtual RAID through software using R-Studio from r-studio.com.  Had to buy the program, but it was worth it.

I recreated the RAID with the individual disks, then restored the data to other drives, then started over WITHOUT Raid on my motherboard.  This whole experience has soured me on the consumer RAID product.  Think server class RAID platforms are good, but this implementation sucks when something goes wrong, as did for us.  I'm done with using consumer RAID, and I guess you get what you pay for.

Anyway, r-studio has a demo version that allows you to preview your files and restore small files to test it out.  You do need some raid parameters through, and that was tricky.  Gigabyte referred me to Intel, and Intel said they don't have that into...  Not very helpful.

You need numbers of disks, Raid config (RAID5 probably for you), order of disks (get this by watching how they come up in BIOS. your screenshot has that), then you need stripe size (i used 64k), and how it's striped (the default choice was NOT the one for me. Had to use the one below the default choice.)

I had to play with these settings for a bit to get good data.  I could see my file structure, and see files, but the preview showed garbage.  Turned out I had a parameter wrong, and when I got it right, it was like the holy grail!  What a relief, because I've been fretting about this for a week.  The software is pretty slick, and well worth the money.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Broken RAID5 on P67
                  change006

I'm currently testing out R-Studio and it looks pretty promising! I've followed your instructions for the Virtual RAID setup and already got a peek at some of my data. Right now I'm running the full RAID consistency check, will take about 12h to finish. But again, it looks promising, thank you so much for your help John!

• 6. Re: Broken RAID5 on P67
                    John Bergerson

No worries.  Happy to help.  Losing my data wasn't something that was even really an option.  I called a data recovery place, described my situation, and they say, "Yes, we can definitely recover your data.  Quote is $1500 -8000 for RAID recovery."  My priceless data just found that there is a cap to it... Anyway when he was confident about recovering without even seeing disks, seemed I could figure it out too.

FYI, I never did any consistency check.  I just tested a few files in the directory structure, and once I could see them and preview them, it was good to go.  Just getting the right parameters was the trick, and once I got that, I started restoring.  That took many hours, but was able to breath a sigh of relief...

Sounds like you're on the right track.  Good luck and enjoy having your data back!

• 7. Re: Broken RAID5 on P67
                      change006

I've dig around some further and came across a solution which actually restores the intel raid, so that you can access it again in windows without losing any data:

http://communities.intel.com/message/110353#110353

Thanks TGentrybtw for that post!

My recovery however differed in 2 points:

• When testdisk asks for the partition type, it suggested GPT instead of Intel. I've tried both GPT and Intel, in my case GPT was really the correct one.
                      • Since my RAID5 setup is not for booting up any system I didn't need to execute the MBR repair.