1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2013 5:35 PM by MBV2000@intel.com RSS

Unable to start WiDi app and use program

Matt Steiniger Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Good Morning,

I've been troubleshooting my WiDi for a while and am still having issues using it.

Issue:

Unable to start WiDi

Steps:

- Installed #'s 1-4 from this page (Intel� Wireless Display — Software and drivers for Intel� Wireless Display)

- Restarted computer after each install

- Saw WiDi homescreen on TV

- Clicked to start Intel WiDi app via. desktop shortcut

- Receive message "Unable to start Intel WiFi Technology"

Do you have any further steps you'd recommend I try to resolve? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I have been trying to resolve this for a while to no avail.

Thank you,

Matt

• 1. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program
    ichun Community Member

Here are some things to check:

1. system requirement - make sure you have the correct parts.

2. WiDi Software - visit your notebook's manufacturer's website to see if they have a widi software for your notebook model.

3. look at all programs installed on your notebook, see if there's any application similar to features of intel Widi that may conflict with widi.

• 2. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program
    electronicsguy_SP Community Member

goto control panel/network and internet/network and sharing center/change adapter settings. try to disable anything like "microsoft virtual miniport wifi adapter xx" by right-clicking and then restart them.

now try if it works.

• 3. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program

Thank you. I tried both of the solutions above, with no luck.

The odd thing is that WiDi used to work and now no longer does. This leads me to believe that the hardware is compatible on the computer and tv, but there is something on the computer side of things preventing me from starting the WiDi app.

I will look for some more potential solutions, but would very much appreciate any additional feedback.

Thank you ichun and electronicsguy.

Matt

• 4. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program

Hi guys,

So I did one thing under Network Connections. I enabled the other wireless network connections (3&4 - see attached screenshot).

Now I am able to start the WiDi program on my computer. It finds my WiDi adapter, but goes through the process of trying to connect and it fails.. The error message I'm getting on my TV is:

"Could not obtain network address. Please restart the computer. If the problem persists, check FAQs..."

Do you think this could be related to a security setting (not being able to obtain the network address)?

Thanks again.

Matt

• 5. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program

Picture of networks I activated (mentioned in prior post), along with one of the error message on my tv.

Thank you.

connections.PNG

20120911_215206.jpg

• 6. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program
    victor@intel Community Member

Thank you for your post Matt.

From the description you provided the issue that you see is usually related to security. There are two things you need to check: you would disable the antivirus and then check the firewall.

Remember that you might have the firewall from Windows* and one from your antivirus; to check the one from Windows* see the link bellow:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/iwd/sb/CS-031061.htm

If you have troubles allowing the mentioned programs through the firewall then you can also by disabling the firewall (s) altogether.

I hope this helps.

• 7. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program

Hi Victor.

Thanks for your reply. The I did the "allow programs through windows firewall" thing a while back and it did not work. I gave it another try and unfortunately, it still did not work.

I checked my firewall and it was already disabled from a troubleshoot I did before. I re-enabled and then disabled again just in case, but this did not fix anything.

Thinking back, I think those are two of the only other methods that I've tried. I'm sorry, I forgot about the "allow programs..." one, otherwise I would have mentioned it in my prior post.

I checked my antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials) and did not see any firewall settings. I disabled the real-time protection, but it did not have an effect either.

It is odd because this has worked in the past on the same system, but for some reason not working now. Might you have any other suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks again for your time.

Matt

• 8. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program

Hi Matt,

see if this works for you: http://communities.intel.com/thread/28673

also, make sure your wifi driver is atleast 15.1

• 9. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program

Hey,

Thanks. So I did this and learned which one the connection is (#4 in the attached screenshot), as #3 enabled by itself did not allow me to launch the WiDi program. I tried enabling #4 and disabling #3, but am still seeing same issue.

I went to this page (Intel® Driver Update Utility for wireless networking) to check my latest WiFi driver and it said I have 15.1.1, but there is a new version - 15.2 - so I downloaded and installed it. Restarting now to complete installation. Will follow-up with a post to let you know if this worked or not.

Thanks again.

screen.PNG

• 10. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program

Hi eletronicsguy,

Unfortunately, this did not work either. Do you know of any other solutions off the top of your head? It is still unable to obtain the network address.

Thank you,

Matt

• 11. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program

hmm..not much. just make sure you reboot your computer as well as the widi adapter and try the steps again.

btw, one last thing i suggest - have you updated the firmware on the adapter? which adapter do you have? on my netgear ptv2000, the latest firmware is also reported as 3.1.29

• 12. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program
    Nathalie@Intel Community Member

Hello Matt,

As described by others, I agree that this usually is related to security, allowing programs through your firewall or disabling the firewall and antivirus for a test, just like you describe you did, would rule out those “normal” security issues.

Something else that can happen after some updates, is a corruption of the Intel® My WiFi technology (MWT) component. To test this part you would uninstall just this component from the Intel® PROSet software. See the complete steps below:

1. Go to Start, Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a program
    2. Double-click on the Intel® PROSet Wireless Software
    3. This opens the “Install Shield Wizard” window.
    4. Click on “Next” select “Change”
    5. Click on the drop-down menu left to “Intel® My WiFi Technology”
    6. Select the last option “X Entire feature will be unavailable”
    7. Click on “Next”, wait for the “Install Shield Wizard” to finish and click on “Finish”
    8. To reinstall the feature follow the steps from 1 to 5 then 9 and 10.
    9. Select the last option “Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive”
    10. Click on “Change”, wait for the “Install Shield Wizard” to finish and click on “Finish”

Let us know if this helps in any way.

• 13. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program

Hi,

Electronics guy -

Thanks for the tip. How do you check the firmware on the adapter? I have the same Netgear model.

Nathalie -

I tried this but unfortunately, it did not help. Not sure if this is helpful, but the green button flashes on the router for about 6 seconds after I hit "connect" on my computer, then turns to yellow and displays the same error message I noted before. This is not new but figured I would add this detail just in case.

Please let me know if you have any other tips. I really want to cancel my cable, but need to get this WiDi up n' runnin first :-).

Thank you again.

• 14. Re: Unable to start WiDi app and use program

good question..actually you need to connect successfully in order to check it. If you had the stock netgear adapter and installed widi 3.1.29, it should have also updated the adapter firmware, provided it was able to connect atleast once.

Ask Intel or in the netgear forums if there is some other way, but I doubt it. what intel graphics driver version do you have? also, disable all anti-virus and any custom firewall program you may have any try.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points