12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2013 11:09 AM by Gene Kohlenberg RSS

Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"

Kyle Concepcion Community Member
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, I have an HP Pavilion dv7-6c95dx Entertainment Notebook PC.

I recently performed a Windows Update and an HP Support Assistant Update on September 4, 2012. It brought everything up to date.

Unfortunately, when I try to open my Intel Widi, it doesn't even launch it only tells me "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology".

I even went to Intel to manually update everything, followed the instructions on how to get the Widi up and running. It still said the same thing.

Everything I had done, to no avail. Out of frustration I ran to HP support and spent 5 hours on the phone trying to sort this out. The whole 5 hours she remotely accessed my computer and tried to get it to work herself. She then told me, I may need to do a full system restore. I'm fine with doing this but the only thing that's holding me back from doing so, is what if this problem happens again? What if I do a full system restore and it doesn't even work?

I've scoured the internet in hopes that, I'd find a fix. There is not, not one forum. I've even searched here on the Intel Support Community, only to find there is no fix.

So now, here I am. I'm hoping someone here will respond to this. Please, I beg of you someone help me. :[

Thank you everyone for your time and patience.

• 1. Re: Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"
    Nathalie@Intel Community Member

Thank you for your post Kyle. From your description it appears that the update(s) corrupted the My WiFi technology component.

In this case you would only need to reset this component, and to do so you would uninstall it and re-install this part. See below the instructions to reset the My WiFi technology.

1. Go to Start, Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a program
    2. Double-click on the Intel® PROSet Wireless Software
    3. This opens the “Install Shield Wizard” window
    4. Click on “Next” select “Change”
    5. Click on the drop-down menu left to “Intel® My WiFi Technology”
    6. Select the last option “X Entire feature will be unavailable”
    7. Click on “Next”, wait for the “Install Shield Wizard” to finish and click on “Finish”
    8. To reinstall the feature follow the steps from 1 to 5 then 9 and 10.
    9. Select the last option “Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive”
    10. Click on “Change”, wait for the “Install Shield Wizard” to finish and click on “Finish”

I hope this helps

• 2. Re: Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"
    J. Shay Langley Community Member

Nathalie,

I am responding to the below response. This did not work for me. Are there any other options to get this program started?

1. Re: Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"
    Nathalie@IntelCommunity Member

Thank you for your post Kyle. From your description it appears that the update(s) corrupted the My WiFi technology component.

In this case you would only need to reset this component, and to do so you would uninstall it and re-install this part. See below the instructions to reset the My WiFi technology.

1. Go to Start, Control Panel, Programs, Uninstall a program
    2. Double-click on the Intel® PROSet Wireless Software
    3. This opens the “Install Shield Wizard” window
    4. Click on “Next” select “Change”
    5. Click on the drop-down menu left to “Intel® My WiFi Technology”
    6. Select the last option “X Entire feature will be unavailable”
    7. Click on “Next”, wait for the “Install Shield Wizard” to finish and click on “Finish”
    8. To reinstall the feature follow the steps from 1 to 5 then 9 and 10.
    9. Select the last option “Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive”
    10. Click on “Change”, wait for the “Install Shield Wizard” to finish and click on “Finish”

I hope this helps

If you have any questions or need any additional information please feel free to give me a call or drop me a line here.

Thanks,

J. Shay Langley

• 3. Re: Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"
    Nathalie@Intel Community Member

Hello J. Shay,

If resetting the feature by itself does not help, it may mean that the software is corrupt or there could be a mismatch. Also note that it would work only in Windows* 7 (32 and 64 bit) and not all adapters support this feature; see the link below for information on which wireless adapters support the features:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-030505.htm

To rule out corruption or mismatch you may need to do a clean install of the software and drivers. To do this, see the steps below:

1. First download and save to your desktop the latest drivers and software package, once you select the adapter and Operating System you would download the file that includes the drivers and the software, i.e.: File name: Wireless_15.2.0_s64.exe not the Wireless_15.2.0_Ds64.exe which only includes drivers):
    2. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Ultimate-N+6300
    3. Remove the Intel® PROSet software from Control Panel\ Control Panel home\ programs, ‘uninstall a Program’, check also for any other PROSet software and uninstall it too.
    4. Go to ‘Start’ right-click on ‘Computer’ click on device manager (on the left panel) click on “Network Adapters”\Double-Click the adapter name\Drivers Tab and click on the “Uninstall” button if present.
    5. Remove the Wireless folder found at C:\Users\YOUR_PROFILE_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Intel. (if you do not see the “AppData” folder you need to “unhide “ it, pres ‘alt’ click on tools then ‘folder options’ in folder options
    6. click on ‘view’ then select “Show hidden files, folders and drives” then click ok )
    7. Install the latest drivers. (Right-click on the icon of the driver, and click on “run as administrator”, click next, then accept the agreement, select “Custom installation’, make sure the Intel My WiFi Technology does not have a red “X” next to it)

If this also does not help, then please describe the exact issue you have, and/or error messages, list also your Operating System and wireless network adapter you have to assist you further.

• 4. Re: Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"
    Kyle Concepcion Community Member

I've been having on and off problems with Intel Widi. Mostly off.

I spent $100 on a Wireless Display Adapter along with a computer that doesn't do as advertised.

A month ago I called HP. HP remotely took over my computer and after 6 long hours on the phone with HP I was told to perform a full system restore, and I did so. It worked fine then a week ago. It just stopped working, AGAIN. I wanted to call INTEL but the hours of operation don't work for me because the timezone I am in. So, I called Windows, they told me to call INTEL.

So, today I finally got in touch with someone very rude at customer service. He kept trying to give me the numbers for HP and Windows even after I told him, what I went through. He urged me "We are Customer Service for INTEL, NOT for the performance of your computer." So I hung up. I've been on these boards looking for answers. There do not seem to be any. Intel seems to be in denial.

It's just beyond me, you can't find anything regarding this on Intel customer service. You think that with everyone having these problems, SOMEONE OVER AT INTEL would have found a fix and shared it with all of us. There is an issue. I just want them to admit it. If HP and Windows can't do anything about it and Intel seems so insistent on not being of help. What are we supposed to do?

• 5. Re: Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"
    sona Community Member

Hi, I have had an HP dm4-1160us that i wanted to use for the intel wi-di functionality (well, I should say dysfunctionality).  This program has been nothing but a pain and a headache.  I would NEVER have purchased this laptop if I knew this software were so TERRIBLE.

I have followed all suggestions above, reinstalled, spent countless hours troubleshooting and NOTHING.  The entire problem started when I inadvertently disabled the Intel My Wi-Fi technology and it would not re-enable.  So, I tried to re-enable it, to no avail.  I thought if I launched the my wi-di application, I could fix it.  No such luck (which is what one needs with this crappy software).  So, I followed the above instructions, and NOTHING.  NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING.  Now, I have a useless computer, no use for my Netgear adapter, and Intel My Wi-Fi installed on my computer that won't start.

OKAY INTEL, ANY BRILLIANT SUGGESTIONS NOW?  BY THE WAY, THIS COMPUTER IS OUT OF WARRANTY, SO I FULLY EXPECT INTEL TO FIX IT TO MY SATISFACTION, AS INTEL SHOULD NOT BE SUPPLYING SOFTWARE THAT DOES NOT EVEN FUNCTION WITH A SYSTEM!!!!

I AM BEYOND ANGER OVER THIS ISSUE.

• 6. Re: Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"
    sheppard Community Member

Hello,

I am french, sorry for the translation.

I had the same problem.

go:

(French): Panneau de configuration\Réseau et Internet\Connexions réseau

(Translate): Configuration panel\Network and Internet\network connections

(French): Active les différentes carte.

(Translate): Enables the different card.

If the probleme persists:
    Intel� Wireless Display — Notebook and Ultrabook� system software and drivers for Intel� Wireless Display

and install version for Intel® 5 Series Mobile.

for me it worked.

cordially

• 7. Re: Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"
    Doug Hutson Community Member

Hi,

I'd like to add another method that worked for me.  My computer is a Windows 7 64 bit.  Figured it out about 30 seconds after I brought up these forums

1 )  Go to control panel, in the search field put in Device Manager.

2 )  Click the link that says Device Manager.

3 )  Left click or expand "Network Adapters"

4 )  I uninstalled "Intel(R) Centrino(R) WiMAX 6150 and Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 6150," do NOT click "delete driver software. or you will be highly annoyed/upset and need to find your driver software.

5 )  Click Action->Scan for hardware changes and it will instantly re-install your drivers and re-detect the things you just unistalled.

6 )  Re-enable the WiFi Technology option.

7 )  Valla, was working again

Cheers, I hope this helps!

P.S. -- Your Wireless Network Adapter(s) may not be named the same...  this just was the name of mine.

P.S.S. -- THIS WILL DELETE ALL OF YOUR PROFILES STORED ON YOUR COMPUTER.  WRITE DOWN YOUR WIRELESS INFORMATION IF YOU NEED IT!

• 8. Re: Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"
    grochv Community Member

Hi all,

Richard Solomon found the solution for issues with WiDi or My Wifi not working properly.

Re: My WiFi not available during installation

There is possibility that computer manufacturer is blocking the installation of My Wifi option because of security.

That's the reason of all others issues

1. Why option of My Wifi is not visible during the installation.

2. Why My Wifi Dashboard is only in Lite version (no WiFi direct)

3. Why WiDi is not unable to start

Solution is simple. Delete the registry key which inhibits this option.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes\4AC91165C6D69DE419A86CDFF452E910]

"FFBD57B19EA05A2416DB668FE78A4352"=""

My specs

Dell Latitude E6320

Intel Centrino N 6205

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Installed packages

Wireless_15.2.0_s64.exe (Intel PROSet Wireless software, drivers and My Wifi)

Setup 3.1.29.0.exe (Intel WiDi)

Everything is working finally...

• 9. Re: Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"
    Jim Golec Community Member

All,

For my Toshiba, and using windows 8, I downloaded and installed the Wireless_15.2.0_s64.exe from Intel.  Also, I installed http://df.toshiba.com/TC00363600B.exe from Toshiba, and the Intel WiDi box finally appeared.  The program connected to my Netgear adapter receiver box, however, now it disconnects every minute.  There is no end to being an amateur IT!

J G

• 10. Re: Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"
    kk11 Community Member

Hi Nathalie,

For my HP Pavilion dv6-6169us laptop, I have a similar problem. I have a D-Link Adaptor for WiDi and for past few weeks its not working. Everytime I launch the Widi application, it tries to connect to the D-Link adaptor but then nothing happens ...it just gives me this message " Ready for connection..please launch WiDI application on your computer" and then my computer shows "Unable to connect to remote display" please restart computer or Adaptor.

I have tried the steps on changing the PROset seetings to enable My WIFI that you suggested to Kyle above however, that does not work.  Please help me with this!!

Specifications: Windows 7: 64 bit

Intel PROset/Wieless WiFI Software : Version 15.03.1000.1637

Intel HD Graphics driver: Version 8.15.10.2476

Intel Widi: Version 3.5.40.0

Intel Processer:CORE i5

Thanks again for your help!!

KK

• 11. Re: Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"
    kk11 Community Member

Hi Its KK again..sorry forgot to mention that I have Intel Centrino Wirelss N-1030 Netwrok Adaptor on my HP Laptop..thanks!!

• 12. Re: Intel Widi "Unable to start Intel My Wifi Technology"
    Gene Kohlenberg Community Member

I want to thank you for these instructions concerning the complete removal and re-installation of the Intel software so that I could get my computers to see and connect to my widi device.

I have two Samsung NP530U4B notebooks.  The hard drive images that Samsung installed on both of them were defective.  And when I had the Intel ap analyze my systems for updates, the results still didn't work.  So I uninstalled every thing per your instructions, installed the new downloaded software and drivers, and was extremely pleased to see  that I could now see and connect to the widi adapter.

Once again, thank you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points